The Things That You Do

64: You Were Saying?

“We should try and be quiet, Zach. We don’t want to wake your mama”

Alexa, who was quietly curled up against her pillow, stirred a little at the sound of Lionel’s whispered before she peeked one eye open, settling it on the argentine who sat at the foot of their bed, gently mumbling to Zachary who laid in his arms, looking up at him sleepily. It had been long night, with Zachary having been a little fussier than he had been in the hospital, she and Lionel had taken it in turns to sit up with him, but she hadn’t minded, even if she was slightly tired. She had enjoyed spending every second that she could with the newborn. It had been a few days, after Zachary had been born, a little over two weeks had passed, but still his presence felt a strange to Alexa, even if she did adore having him around. She still couldn’t quite wrap her head around the idea that she and Lionel were parents.

Sparing a quiet yawn into her hand, she blinked her other eye open before she shifted a little beneath the duvet, something which caused Lionel to perk up, turning to look at her over his shoulder. “I thought you were still asleep” he commented “Did we wake you?” he added, gently readjusting Zachary in his arms.

Alexa watched the two of them for a moment before she gently shook her head, a familiar fond smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “Your idea of whispering isn’t as quiet as you like to think it is” she mused “But it’s alright. I don’t mind being woken up by the two of you” she added.

Lionel snorted out a laugh. “That’s not what you said at three this morning” he quipped impishly.

Alexa threw him a playful glare before she shook her head, another soft yawn tumbling out of her mouth. “Has he been up long?” she posed through her yawn.

Lionel smiled gently at the sound of her yawn before he shook his head, diverting his stare back towards Zachary. “About twenty minutes or so” he mused “But I think he’s getting ready to go back to sleep for a little longer. He looks pretty sleepy” he added as he carefully shuffled up the bed, resting his back against the headboard.

Alexa watched him for a moment, allowing him to get settled in against the headboard, before she shifted a little closer to him, resting her head against his shoulder. “What are you up to today?” she mumbled after a few moments, disturbing the comfortable quiet which had settled over the three of them.

Lionel, who’d been gently smoothing out the material of Zachary’s baby grow, shrugged. “Not too much” he quipped “It’s a rest day today, so I planned on spending my day here, annoying you” he added with a teasing smirk.

Alexa playfully feigned a sigh, something which made Lionel laugh gently before he leant over, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. “You have something better in mind?” he mumbled into her hair.

Alexa cuddled into his side a little more before she shrugged. “I don’t mind what we do” she mumbled through another soft yawn “But, I would like to get out of the house for a little while, even if it is just an hour or so. I’d like to spend a little time somewhere other than here” she explained. It had been a while, with Eva having suggested that she take it easy for a while, she had spent a lot of time at home, and she was itching to get out for a little while, even if it was only an hour or so. She wanted to spend a little time somewhere which wasn’t at home.

Lionel, who’d tracing soft shapes into her hipbone with his thumb, mulled her words over briefly before he dipped down, kissing the top of her head softly once more. “I am sure that that can be arranged” he mused “But, right now, why don’t you try and get back to sleep for a little while? You look like you could use it” he fussed.

Alexa shook her head. “It’s OK” she fussed “I mean, I’m already up...” her voice trailed off as another yawn fell out of her mouth.

Lionel quirked an amused smile before he leant down, kissing her cheek softly before he smirked against her skin. “You were saying?” he mumbled.

Alexa rolled her eyes, mumbling a sarcastic comment beneath her breath, before she pulled away from him slightly, something which made him chuckle before he carefully pushed himself up to his feet. “Me and Zach will be downstairs if you need us. Dulces sueños, mi amor” he chirped before he padded out of the room, lightly pulling the door closed behind him.

Alexa listened to the soft thud of the door closing before she snuggled a little closer to her pillow, a soft smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

~#~
“You know, if you want to, we can just head back to the car” Lionel fussed as he padded alongside Alexa, his hand gently steering Zachary’s pram up the street.

It had been a brief outing, with Alexa still recovering after she had given birth to Zachary, Lionel had been quick to ensure that their outing was short and sweet, and it made Alexa smile a little, even if she was itching to spend a little time away from their home. She had to admit that she found his fussing sweet. It wasn’t a new thing, ever since they had discovered that she was expecting, he had been particularly keen to make a fuss of her, and Alexa had to admit that she was a little glad that it hadn’t stopped, even if he did get on her nerves from time to time. She thought that it was sweet that he worried.

“I know” Alexa replied “But I don’t think another ten minutes will hurt. Is that OK with you?” she posed, looking up at him.

Lionel offered her a look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he nodded, quirking a small smile that Alexa was quick to return before she took Zachary’s pram into her hands, stepping a few paces ahead of him. Lionel chuckled amusedly and followed her for a few paces before something in a passing shop window caught his eye, causing him to stop.

Alexa, who’d been happily pushing Zachary’s pram, walked on for a few steps before she noticed Lionel missing form her side, causing her to turn, looking back at him over her shoulder. “Lionel?” she quipped.

Lionel, who’d been staring through the window, lifted his head at the sound of his name before he turned, settling his eyes on Alexa who looked up at him, a curious expression on her face. “Huh?” he spluttered.

“Is everything alright?” Alexa posed.

Lionel blinked a couple of times, surprised by her question, before he nodded. “Of course I am” he replied “I just got a little distracted” he added.

Alexa quirked a smirk, like she had thought of an amusing retort, but she didn’t say anything, instead opting to link their arms together before she moved to push Zachary’s pram up the street once more. Lionel followed her steps, walking alongside her, before he smiled a little to himself, wordlessly reminding himself to find someone to pick up the ring he had seen in the window.

It wasn’t something that they’d talked a lot about, with their engagement having coincided with Zachary’s birth, a lot of their attention, along with that of their friends and family, had been fixed on the newborn, but Lionel was keen to mark their engagement, even if Alexa wanted to hold off for a while. He was excited, the idea that Alexa had agreed to marry him was one which never failed to bring a grin to his face, and he wanted to mark it, even if it was something as simple as giving her the ring to wear on her finger. He wanted to make a fuss of the idea that they were ready to take that step.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)