The Things That You Do

75: When It Happens

Slipping Zachary’s baby monitor into the pocket of his shorts, Lionel quietly pulled the bedroom door to, making his way towards his and Alexa’s bedroom. It had taken a little while, with Zachary having been difficult to settle, he’d spent almost an hour in the little boy’s nursery, and he was glad that he had finally settled, even if he knew that it was only a matter of time before he started to stir again. A small part of him wanted to catch up with Alexa before she tried to go to bed.

He knew that there was something up with her, the way that she had acted whilst they were at dinner with Poppy was all the confirmation he needed to know that there was something not quite right with her, and he wanted to push her on it, even if he knew that it was likely that she would try and duck the subject. He wanted to, at the very least, let her know that he was there if she needed him.

Popping his head into the bedroom, he quickly scanned it for Alexa before he stepped back out into the hall, padding down the stairs. Reaching the foot of the stairs, he paused for a second before the sound of movement emanated away from the kitchen, causing him to walk towards it, his eyes quickly settling on Alexa who stood beside the sink, sipping on a glass of water as she pushed her hand back through her hair.

Stepping into the room, he watched her for a couple of seconds before he cleared his throat, causing Alexa to startle before she turned, offering him a tired smile. “You were gone for a while” she quipped “Did Zach give you trouble?” she posed.

“He didn’t really want to go to sleep” Lionel replied “But we got there in the end. He’s asleep now” he added, moving to settle the baby monitor down onto the countertop.

Alexa nodded her head gently, allowing a brief silence to pass between the two of them, before she took a couple of steps across the room. “I think I will follow Zach’s lead” she mused, making her way towards the door.

Lionel watched her pad towards the door before he shook his head, allowing a gentle sigh to fall out of his mouth. “What’s going on with you, Alexa?” he posed.

Alexa, who’d almost made it out of the room, stilled a little at the sound of his voice before she turned her head slightly, peeking at him over her shoulder. “Leo...”

“I know that there is something” Lionel interrupted, cutting off what he was sure would be her telling him that it was nothing “I saw you during dinner, and I know there’s something wrong, so why don’t you just tell me? You never know, I might be able to help” he added, a faint smile pulling at the corner of his mouth.

Alexa glanced at him for a moment, admiring the soft smile he sported, before she gently shook her head, shyly pushing a loose strand of blonde hair behind her ear. “I don’t really know what to say to you” she mused timidly “I mean, it’s nothing really. I’ve been feeling a little off for a couple of days, but I didn’t want to worry you. Adrian and Ariana had that sickness bug a couple of weeks ago and I went over to see Marco. It’s probably just that” she added, tracing the pattern of the kitchen floor with her foot.

Lionel watched the movement of her foot briefly before he stepped towards her, lightly adjusting the blonde hair that she had tucked behind her ear. “Probably?” he murmured.

Alexa met his stare briefly before she dropped it, diverting her gaze towards the floor. “What else would it be?” she mumbled.

Lionel frowned slightly, mulling over her words, before the lightbulb flicked on in his head, causing him to lower his stare, settling it on the front of her dress. “Alexa” he murmured quietly.

Alexa merely shifted quietly for a moment before she took a pace backwards. “I...uh...I...”

“You still have a test, don’t you?” Lionel cut in, stopping her babbling.

Alexa blinked a couple of times, surprised that he had cut her off, before she nodded. “I think we still have one upstairs” she mused “I might have bought one too many when I thought I was pregnant with Zach” she added, fiddling with her hands nervously.

“We should go and do it” Lionel mused.

Alexa shook her head. “It’s probably nothing” she retorted “My neice and nephew were sick. I popped by to drop something off with Marco. It’s almost certainly that” she babbled.

“Probably” Lionel agreed “But I’d feel better if you did the test, even if it is unlikely. It’s best that we rule it out” he added, his voice as calm as he could keep it. He knew why she was nervous, with Zachary only being a few months old, the idea that she could be pregnant for the second time in quick succession was one which was a little awing, but he knew that her taking the test was for the best, even if it was unlikely that she was pregnant. He knew that it was best that they found out either way.

Alexa looked at him hesitantly before she gently nodded. “You’ll come with me?” she posed.

“Of course” Lionel insisted.

Alexa flashed him a small nervous smile before she padded out of the room, Lionel close on her heels.

~#~
“Three minutes, right?”

Alexa, who was sat with her back against the bathtub, jumped a little at the sound of Lionel’s voice but didn’t look up, instead slowly nodding her head. “That’s what the box said” she replied.

Lionel nodded his head softly before he stepped towards her, settling into the spot at her side. Offering her a small smile, he wrapped his arm around her shoulder before he lifted his head, tenderly kissing the top of hers. “You don’t have to look so worried” he mumbled into her hair.

Alexa sighed softly before she wrapped her arms around his middle, cuddling into his side. “You’re just saying that” she mumbled.

Lionel smiled against her head. “I’m serious” he murmured “I know that the timing isn’t perfect, I mean, Zach’s not even six months yet, but it wouldn’t matter to me and it shouldn’t to you. I don’t care if it is fast, Alexa, the idea of having another baby...that’s amazing and I want you to know that if you are carrying around another little one, it’d be amazing news to me, no matter when it happens. I’d be over the moon, Alexa” he insisted, dropping a series of soft kisses over her head and face.

Alexa wrinkled her nose at the feel of his lips against her skin, a small giggle falling out of her mouth, before she shook her head. “It doesn’t worry you?” she posed as she leant back slightly, meeting his dark eyes.

Lionel shook his head without a beat of hesitation. “It doesn’t worry me” he mused “It’s fast. If you are pregnant now, it’s a little sooner than we were expecting, but I am sure that we can handle it” he added warmly.

Alexa stared at him for a second, mulling over his reassurances, before she let out a soft laugh. “What would I do without you?” she breathed.

Lionel smirked. “I don’t know how you’d cope” he teased.

Alexa rolled her eyes gently before the sound of her phone alarm filled her ears, causing her to let out a soft sigh before she pushed herself up, moving to collect the pregnancy test that she had left on the counter. Flipping it over in her hand, she took in a soft breath before she peeked down at the result, her blue eyes widening slightly.

Lionel, who’d been watching her, quickly stood up. “Well?” he pressed.

Alexa blinked a couple of times before she lifted her head. “It’s negative” she breathed.

“It is?” Lionel posed.

Alexa nodded before she stretched her hand out, offering him the test. “That’s what it says” she mused.

Lionel gently took the test out of her hand, something which allowed Alexa to step past him, pressing a brief kiss against his cheek as she mumbled something about getting to bed. Watching her out of the door, Lionel let out a quiet sigh before he flicked his attention down towards the test, his dark eyes studying the results. He knew that it was soon, the idea of Alexa being pregnant less than six months after Zachary had arrived was one which was completely daunting to him, but still he couldn’t help but be a little disappointed by the negative result, even if it was soon. A small part of him had been hoping that Alexa had been pregnant.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)