The Things That You Do

79: Are You Going To Tell Me You’re Not Upset?

Gently straightening out the foot of Zachary’s sleepsuit, Lionel rested his head back against the chair he sat in, his dark eyes settled on the little boy who laid in his arms, his blue eyes blinking tiredly. It had been a little while, after Alexa had told him that she was pregnant for a second time, a couple of weeks had passed, and with a visit to their midwife having passed without issue, the news was starting to settle in a little more, something which pleased Lionel, even if Alexa did still seem wary from time to time when the topic of her pregnancy arose. They were both growing used to the idea that their family was only a matter of months away from gaining a new member.

Quirking a soft smile, he watched Zachary blink sleepily for a few seconds before the sound of a light knock against the bedroom door reached his ears, causing him to look over his shoulder at Alexa who stood in the doorway, a sheepish smile on her lips. “Did I wake him?” she whispered as she stepped a little deeper into the room, stopping beside the chair he sat in.

Lionel looked up at her before he shook his head, offering her a gentle smile. “You didn’t” he mused “He didn’t even flinch” he added.

Alexa, who was staring down at Zachary, nodded her head quietly, something which caused Lionel to lean up, kissing her cheek softly. “You know that we’ll be alright without you, don’t you?” he mumbled “I mean, you’re going out to dinner with your madre and Marco. I’m sure that me and Zach will be able to cope without you for that long” he added, his voice caught between reassuring and playful.

It had been a while, with both Marco and Alexa having been busy, it’d been a while since Madeline had had an evening alone with her children, and she was keen to spend time with the two of them, even if it was only a couple of hours. She was keen to have her two children to herself for a little while.

Alexa quirked a small smirk, not missing the teasing tone of his voice, before she shook her head. “I don’t doubt that” she quipped “And you’re right, it will only be a couple of hours, but I am still a little worried. As soon as order water instead of wine...” she trailed off, sparing him a slightly apprehensive glance.

It was going well, the visit to their midwife a couple of weeks previous had confided that her pregnancy was going to plan, but they were still in the early stages, something which made Alexa slightly wary of sharing the news with anyone else. She was excited, after the shock of the positive pregnancy test results had worn off, she had grown more and more excited at the prospect of welcoming another baby into the world, but she wanted to keep it under wraps for a little while, even if she was excited to share the news. She wanted to keep it close to her chest for a few more weeks.

Lionel glanced up at her, his dark eyes scanning her expression for a moment, before he shifted his hand, gently taking a hold of hers which tugged at the bottom of her sweater, trying to smooth it out slightly over her stomach. “You don’t have to be worried about that” he mused “I mean, of course it would be nice to keep it to ourselves until you get to twelve weeks, but if they figure it out, they figure it out. Besides, didn’t you say that Isabel already knows? It’s inevitable that she’s told Marco and Marco is just the worst at keeping secrets. It’s only a matter of time before he blurts it out to your madre” he added, his voice warm and encouraging.

Alexa scoffed before she rolled her eyes, gently slipping her fingers through his. “You’re not wrong about that” she mused “When I was 16, I got my first boyfriend and made the mistake of telling Marco before I told my parents. Within an hour, he’d told them both” she added.

Lionel merely squeezed her hand, something which made Alexa let out a soft breath before she nodded her head. “Do I look alright?” she posed.

“You look beautiful” Lionel replied warmly.

Alexa’s cheeks flushed a little at the compliment, something which made Lionel chuckle gently before he lifted her hand, pressing a soft kiss against the back of it. “I’ll see you later, Alexa” he mused.

Alexa offered him a little wave before she padded out of the room, trying to stifle the knot which twisted in her stomach.

~#~
“Can you remember the last time you arrived on time?” Marco quipped as Alexa stepped towards the table he sat at, a smirk playing at the corner of his mouth.

Alexa, who’d moved to shrug out of her jacket, scoffed a little before she stepped towards him, wrapping him in a tight hug. “You can hardly talk” she quipped “I am pretty sure that you were late on your wedding day, so late, we thought you’d run off” she added as she ducked back, flashing him a teasing smile.

Marco rolled his eyes playfully before he shook his head, moving to retake his seat.

“Is madre here yet?” Alexa posed as she sat down.

Marco, who’d moved to pour himself a glass of wine, nodded. “She got here a little before me” he mused “But she ducked outside a few minutes ago. She had a phone call that she had to take” he explained.

Alexa nodded.

“Did you want a glass?” Marco posed, offering the bottle out towards her.

Alexa glanced at the bottle hesitantly before she shook her head, something which made Marco quirk a curious eyebrow. Allowing his eyes to study her for a moment, he opened his mouth to say something, but was cut off by Madeline who’d stepped up towards the table, a warm grin perched on her lips. “Alexandria, sweetheart” she greeted warmly “I was starting to think that you’d forgotten that we had plans” she added, wrapping Alexa in a soft hug.

Alexa hugged her tightly. “Of course I didn’t” she mused “It’s good to see you, mama” she added.

Madeline offered her a tight squeeze before she stepped back, moving to take her seat. “We should order” she quipped, peeking down at her menu nervously.

Alexa quirked an eyebrow, not missing the slightly nervous expression that had passed over her mother’s face, before she turned her attention down towards her menu. “Are you OK, mama?” she posed “You look a little nervous” she added.

Madeline blinked a couple of times, surprised by the sound of Alexa’s voice, before she lifted her head, a soft sigh falling out of her mouth. “I...I had a reason for inviting the two of you out” she stumbled out “I... I have something that I want to tell you” she added.

Marco, who’d been perusing his menu, looked up. “You do?” he posed.

Madeline nodded. “I wanted you to hear it from me” she mused “I...uh...I’ve been seeing someone” she babbled out gently.

Alexa’s eyes widened a little. “Seeing someone?” she posed “As in...dating? You’ve got a boyfriend?” she added.

Madeline spared her a timid look before she nodded. “I know it is strange” she mused “I mean, after your padre, I didn’t think I would be interested in getting back out there, but then I met Jose...”

“And you fell into bed with him” Marco grunted, cutting her off.

“Marco” Alexa warned.

“It’s not even been two years yet” Marco spat as he glared at Madeline “You spent over thirty years with the man, you had two children with him, and yet it’s taken you less than two years to replace him. Congrats, mama” he added sharply.

“Marco” Alexa repeated, her tone growing more warning.

Marco scoffed before he turned, settling his glare on his sister. “Are you going to tell me you’re not upset?” he spat.

Alexa stared at him for a moment, briefly mulling over his words, before she let out a soft sigh, something which made Marco scoff before he pushed himself to his feet, mumbling something about needing to get out of there before he padded out of the restaurant. Alexa watched him go for a few seconds before she turned around, her blue eyes settling on her mother who stared tearfully after Marco. “Mama...”

Madeline merely shook her head, cutting Alexa off. “It is OK” she murmured “He’s got every right to be upset. You both do” she added.

Alexa shifted slightly in her seat before she shook her head, something which made Madeline step towards her, pressing a light kiss against the top of her head. “I know you’re upset” she murmured “And I really don’t blame you, or Marco, for feeling that way. He’s your padre, Alexa, and no one can replace him” she mumbled into her hair before she stepped back, mumbling something about calling a taxi.

Alexa stared after her briefly before she pushed herself up to her feet, making her way towards the exit as she attempted to wrap her head around what had happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)