The Things That You Do

82: I Still Feel Strange About It

Twisting the ends of her hair around her finger, Alexa shifted a little in her seat, her blue eyes sparing a cautious glance towards the house which sat a little away from her. She knew that she couldn’t avoid it forever, with a baby on the way and a wedding in the works, she knew that she had to make amends with her mother sooner rather than later, but still she was a little nervous, even if Madeline had sounded excited by the prospect of her visiting for lunch when they’d spoken on the phone. She couldn’t seem to shake the knot which twitched in the pit of her stomach.

They needed to talk, after Madeline dropped the news that she had a new boyfriend on Alexa and Marco, Alexa had shied away from her mother slightly, but she knew that she couldn’t continue to avoid the conversation, even if the idea of her mother moving on did make her slightly uncomfortable. She knew that it was simply something she would have to get used to. Madeline deserved to be happy, after Antonio’s death, she deserved to find something, or someone, who could make her smile, and Alexa didn’t want to stand in her way, even if it would take some getting used to. She didn’t want to be the reason that her mother was unhappy.

Staring out of the car window, she gently tucked her hair behind her ear before she pushed the door open, padding up the path towards the front door. Stopping on the stoop, she glanced at the door hesitantly before she lifted her hand, gently pressing the doorbell before she took a pace backwards, watching as the door swept open to reveal an older man. “Oh” she squeaked in surprise.

The man quirked a small smile at her surprise before he took a pace forwards, offering his hand out towards Alexa. “You must be Alexandria” he quipped “Maddie mentioned that you were dropping by. I’m just on my way out” he explained quickly. He could see that she was surprised, the small sound that she had let out had confided it, and he wanted her to know that he wasn’t going to hang around, not wanting to make things more awkward between his girlfriend and her daughter.

Alexa stared at him for a few seconds, caught off guard by his opening the door, before she gently reached her hand out, shaking his politely. “I prefer Alexa” she mused “The only person who calls me Alexandria is my madre. You must be Jose” she added.

Jose quirked a small smile. “That would be me” he mused.

Alexa returned his smile timidly before the sound of Madeline’s voice filled the air, something which caused Jose to chuckle. “I should get out of here” he quipped “Your mother’s pretty excited about the two of you having lunch and she’d not forgive me for sticking around and making things awkward. It was good to meet you, Alexa” he teased warmly before he stepped past Alexa, making his way towards his car.

Alexa watched him as he walked down the path before the sound of footsteps reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, her blue eyes landing on Madeline who’d padded into the hallway. “I thought I heard your voice” the older woman greeted as she stepped towards Alexa, wrapping her in a soft hug.

Alexa stiffened slightly, surprised by the hug, before she tentatively hugged her mother back, something which made Madeline smile softly before she pulled away. “Come inside” she mused gently “Lunch should be ready in a few minutes. I figured we could eat and talk at the same time” she added, her voice wavering slightly.

Alexa noticed the slight change in her voice, but didn’t comment on it, instead offering her a gentle smile. “I’d like that” she enthused.

Madeline grinned softly before she stepped through the house, Alexa following close behind her.

~#~
“So, how is wedding planning coming, Alexa?” Madeline asked as she settled down into her seat, her eyes glancing towards Alexa who sat opposite her, quietly pushing the last of her lunch around her plate. It had been a quiet lunch, with both Alexa and Madeline nervous about saying the wrong thing, the conversation that had passed between the two of them had been awkward and disjointed, but still Madeline wanted to try and start a conversation, even if she was skirting around the elephant in the room. She merely wanted Alexa to talk to her.

Alexa, who’d been quietly playing with her fork, stilled at the sound of her mother’s voice before she tentatively looked up, meeting her mother’s stare briefly. “That’s one of the things that I wanted to talk to you about today” she mumbled quietly.

“Oh?” Madeline posed “Has something happened between you and Leo?” she added.

Alexa shook her head quickly. “We’re fine” she insisted “In fact, we’re great, but we’ve decided to put the wedding date back a few months. We’ve got something else to be focused on right now” she added, sparing a coy smile down towards the front of her shirt.

Madeline followed the line of the stare before she let out a soft squeak. “You...you and Leo... You’re going to have another baby?” she spluttered.

Alexa smiled and gently nodded her head. “It’s still really early days” she fussed “I’m only a few weeks gone, but we’re pretty excited” she added, shyly pushing her hair behind her ear.

Madeline watched her for a few seconds, admiring the bright smile she wore, before she quickly pushed herself to her feet, moving to wrap Alexa in a soft hug. “You and that boyfriend of yours really don’t waste time, do you?” she teased warmly.

Alexa, who’d been quick to hug her back, let out a soft laugh, something which caused Madeline to pull back slightly, gently brushing the hair off of Alexa’s face. “I’m so happy for you” she fussed warmly “I mean, I was kind of looking forwards to a wedding, but a brand new grandbaby is just as exciting” she joked.

Alexa smiled at her mother for a few moments, allowing a beat of silence to pass between them, before she let out a soft sigh. “I came here to say sorry” she murmured “When you told me and Marco about Jose, we both reacted badly, and I wanted to apologise for that. I’m so sorry, mama” she babbled, leaning into the hand of Madeline’s which had moved to cup her cheek.

Madeline gently brushed her thumb along Alexa’s cheekbone. “You had every right to be upset” she mused “Me and your papa, we were together for a very long time, and we were a family, and I can’t blame you for feeling weird about me and Jose. I still feel a little weird about me and Jose” she joked awkwardly.

Alexa quirked a faint smile. “It does feel strange” she admitted “And it is going to feel strange for a while, but if it is what makes you happy, then I will get over it. I want you to be happy, mama, and if it takes Jose to make you happy, then I am on board” she insisted gently.

“Really?” Madeline posed.

Alexa nodded. “You’re my mama” she mused “And I want you to be happy” she added.

Madeline was quiet for a few seconds, processing Alexa’s words, before she tossed her arms around the blonde, something which made Alexa giggle gently before she wrapped her arms around her in return, hugging her tightly. Madeline reveled in the hug for a few seconds before the sound of Alexa’s phone reached her ears, causing them to pull apart before Alexa pulled her phone out of her pocket. “Is it important?” Madeline posed.

“It’s just Leo” Alexa replied, typing out her reply “He’s asking how things are going. He was very concerned that I’d just chicken out of coming” she added, smiling gently.

Madeline grinned. “I’ve said it before, but I will say it again. That man is good for you” she insisted warmly before she stepped away, fussing about how long it had been since she had seen her youngest grandchild. Alexa watched her out of the room before she shook her head, pleased that she had gone inside of her mother’s home. It had crossed her mind, when she had been sat in her car, she had fleetingly contemplated ducking out, but she was pleased that she hadn’t, even if the afternoon had been slightly uncomfortable. It was something that she was glad she had done.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comments :)