The Things That You Do

87: You Don’t Have To Apologise To Me

“Aren’t you going to say something, Marco?” Alexa murmured after a few minutes of silence, her blue eyes peeking up towards her brother who stood at the foot of the bed, his hands stuffed awkwardly into his pockets. It had awkward, after Lionel had ducked out of the room, Marco and Alexa had sat in silence for what felt like forever, and Alexa wanted to break it, not liking just how uncomfortable the atmosphere felt between the two of them.

She was surprised that he had followed her, after the argument that they had had, Alexa had half been expecting him and Isabel to get out of her mother’s house as soon as they could, but she didn’t want to shy away from talking to him, even if she wasn’t quite sure of what she wanted to say to him. She didn’t want to let the awkwardness fester between the two of them.

Marco, who’d been thoughtfully staring down at the ground, looked up at the sound of her voice before he nodded, offering her a slightly sheepish smile. “Sorry” he mumbled “I was just...I was trying to come up with what to say to you. I’ve been an idiot tonight, haven’t I?” he added as he took a cautious step towards bed, wordlessly asking Alexa if he could sit down.

Alexa quirked a faint smile before she offered him a slight nod, encouraging him to settle down at the end of the bed. “You have been” she mused “I know it’s weird, Marco, seeing mama with Jose, it’s not something either of us are going to get used to quickly, but that didn’t give you the right to act like a child. You should have handled it better, and if you didn’t think you could, you shouldn’t have come at all. It wasn’t fair, Marco” she added, her tone firm and even.

Marco looked at her for a moment before he let out a soft sigh, his eyes dropping back towards his hands which sat in his lap. “I know” he muttered “I just...I guess I still miss him. I know it’s been a long time, he’s been gone for two years now, but I guess...I guess there is still a part of me that can’t quite believe that he’s not here anymore” he babbled out as he quietly pushed his wedding ring around his finger.

Alexa watched him for a moment, allowing his words to hang in the air between them, before she shuffled towards the end of the bed, gently wrapping an arm around his shoulders. Marco, who’d been watching his fingers, startled a little at the feel of her arm before he looked up, offering her a small sad smile. “I know I’ve behaved like an idiot” he mused “And I am not trying to make an excuse for that. I acted like an ass tonight, towards you and towards mama and Jose and I owe you an apology for that. I shouldn’t have done it” he added, gently squeezing her hand which rested on his shoulder.

Alexa shook her head. “I owe you one” she murmured.

“No” Marco replied firmly “You don’t. You were acting like an adult, you were sticking up for our mother, and I acted like a child. You don’t have to apologise to me, Alexa, but I do to you. I’m sorry” he insisted.

Alexa squeezed his hand, allowing a beat of silence to pass between them, before she let out a quiet sigh. “I miss him too” she mumbled.

“I know you do” Marco mused “But, for what it is worth, I think that he’d have been pretty proud of you” he added.

Alexa, who’d moved to rest her head against his shoulder, looked up at him curiously. “You think so?” she asked.

Marco scoffed playfully. “How could he not be?” he posed “I mean, you turned out pretty great. You’ve come a long way from the little girl who used to charge around the house with one of mama’s good towels for a superhero cape” he teased.

Alexa scoffed. “I think you started that” she played along.

Marco laughed gently before he offered her shoulders a soft squeeze. “Seriously, I think papa would have loved to see you now” he mused “You’re a great madre, Alexa, and you and Leo are so good together. He would have loved how happy you are now” he enthused warmly.

Alexa offered him a small bashful smile, mumbling a quiet ‘thank you’, before the sound of a light knock at the door reached her ears, causing her to look up, her blue eyes settling on Lionel who stood in the doorway, a soft smile on his face. “I’m guessing that the hugging is a good sign” he quipped, his voice caught between cautious and teasing.

“I think so” Alexa mused “Did you need something?” she asked.

Lionel shook his head. “I just thought you’d want to know that Gerard’s texted to ask where we are” he mused “If you two still need some time...”

“I think we’re OK” Marco interrupted with a small smile “And besides, I have a couple more apologies to make before Isabel and I get going. I’ll let the two of you go” he added as he pushed himself to his feet.

Offering Alexa a small smile, he padded towards the door before he stretched his hand out, offering towards Lionel. “I’m sorry for ruining your night, Leo” he mused.

Lionel blinked a couple of times, surprised by Marco’s apology, before he reached out, shaking the taller man’s hand firmly. “It’s OK” he noted.

Marco flashed him a pleasant grin before he stepped out of the room, affording Lionel the opportunity to step towards the bed, sitting down beside Alexa who was quick to wrap her arms around, cuddling happily into his side. “How’d it go?” he asked. He knew that they had made some progress, the looks on both Marco and Alexa’s faces seemed a lot brighter than they had when he had departed, but still he wanted to ensure that things were alright, even if he was confident that they were. He wanted to hear Alexa say it.

Alexa, who’d been quietly tracing her fingers over the tattoo on his arm, shrugged. “He knows he messed up” she mused “And he apologized to me for it, but I am not the one he should be worried about. He owes our mother a bigger apology, and so do I. Was she upset?” she added quietly.

Lionel shrugged. “She didn’t seem too upset” he noted “She said that she had been expecting a few teething problems, but I think she’s Ok. She and Jose seemed to be in good spirits” he added.

Alexa nodded her head quietly, something which caused Lionel to offer her a gentle squeeze before he stood up, offering her his hand. “We should get out of here” he noted “Gerard really did text asking where we were and we both know he’d only complain if we kept him waiting for too much longer” he added impishly.

Alexa smiled a little at his teasing before she placed her hand into his, allowing him to pull her up to her feet before they padded out of the room. Making their way downstairs, they walked through the hallway before they reached the front door where Madeline stood, something which caused the older woman to look up, a soft smile spreading across her lips. “Are you two off too?” she posed.

“Our babysitter is getting cranky” Lionel joked.

Madeline nodded before she stepped forwards, offering the footballer a warm hug. “Gracias for coming tonight, Lionel” she mused.

“It was no problem” Lionel replied “It’s always good to see you, Madeline, and it was good to meet Jose. Give him my best” he enthused before he stepped towards the door, mumbling about pulling the car around.

Alexa watched him stepped out of the door before she flicked her eyes towards her mother, a timid sigh falling out of her mouth. “Madre...”

“You don’t have to say it, Alexandria” Madeline interrupted.

Alexa shook her head. “I ruined dinner” she muttered “I shouldn’t have done. I’m sorry” she added.

Madeline merely flashed her a small smile before she wrapped her in a tight hug. “It’s OK” she enthused “It’s just dinner and we both knew that there would be a few bumps. It’s better that it’s happened now rather than during something more important” she added as she ducked back.

Alexa offered her a dubious look, something which made Madeline giggle before she pressed a soft kiss against her forehead. “It’s really fine, Alexandria” she enthused before the sound of a car horn filled the air, causing her to nudge Alexa towards the door. “Buenos noches, sweetheart” she added as Alexa padded up the path. Alexa spared her a warm smile over her shoulder before she stepped towards the car, hoping that things would improve after that night. She knew it was going to take time, with the idea of Madeline dating still new to her and Marco, it was going to take some time to get used to it, but she was hopeful that they would.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)