‹ Prequel: Bed Building
Status: Join Nicola and Austin again

Library Hauls

001.

It had been four days since Austin and I had grabbed that drink together, unfortunately it had been cut short due to commitments he had forgotten all about. To be honest I found it quite funny when he received the call from his mates telling him the game had started and where was he. Instantly he had become flustered and quickly hung up before apologising to me and taking off.

I wasn’t annoyed at what had happened due to still being extremely sleepy from the night before so I was more than happy to return back to my apartment and spend the afternoon sleeping.

“Hey Nic,” turning my head from the bookshelf I had been studying I saw Eloise standing beside me a small pile of books in her arms. “I hope you don’t mind but I am gonna get going, got so much study to do.”

“Yeah sure, thanks for coming,” I said before giving her a quick hug and watching as she walked away. I turned my attention back to the book stand scanning the titles for one in particular. I was startled when someone tapped me on the shoulder. Jumping I turned my attention to whoever it was.

“Hi there,” Austin stood beside me, a book bag slung over his shoulder and two novels in his hands.

“Hi there yourself,” I smiled turning myself away from the book shelf so I was facing him completely. He was wearing a pair of jeans, a white v-neck shirt and his hair was styled into a nice quiff. He wore a wide smile that exposed his perfectly straight teeth.

“I am so sorry about the other day… I just…”

“There is no need to explain yourself I completely understand. I’m not mad.”

“You’re not?” the tone of shock in his voice told me that that wasn’t the answer he had been expecting. I nodded my head smiling. “Oh I am so glad to hear that,” he chuckled before moving the books in his hands to what I assumed was a more comfortable.

“So… what are your plans for the rest of the day?”

“To be honest, nothing I am free all day. Was gonna try do some reading,” he said his eyes flicking down to the books in his hands. “Yourself?”

“That sounds like a good plan. Me? Not sure… there is so much I could do but to be honest I have no energy to do housework. So I might end up rugged up in bed reading.”

“Well… do you think you would have enough energy to wander over to mine? I can make the coffee?” a laugh left my lips. A shy smile spread across his face, his eyes flicking down at his shoes and back up to my face.

“I think it is my turn to make the coffee, how about you come over to mine? If you want. I even have brownies.”

“Brownies?”

“Brownies. I got bored yesterday and decided to whip up a batch. Also it’s winter and brownies are my favourite in winter.” I waffled on.

“Brownies are good anytime of the year.” Austin pointed out, “you have twisted my arm… brownies are my weakness.”

“I thought it might have been. As are books I see,” I indicated my eyes trailing down quickly scanning the titles. “Oh fantasy fan ay?”

“Oh…” Austin’s eyes flicked down to the books in his arms, “Yeah, big fan… you?”

“More of a historical fan, but the few fantasy novels I have read were pretty good I must admit,” I said shrugging my shoulders before the novel I had been searching for jumped out at me, reaching over I grabbed it and pulled it from the shelf. As I was pulling it back Austin reached out and grabbed it from my grasp.

Mistress of Rome?” he flipped it over, I watched as his eyes darted across the back, he had a intensive look on his face as he drank everything in. As he read over my book I allowed my eyes to look down at his pile of books and scan over the titles.

Ranger’s Apprentice, Assassin’s Apprentice and Nevernight

“Sounds interesting,”

“Oh, yeah it is amazing!” I looked up at him and grabbed the book from his hands. “Yours look pretty good too.” I noticed that we were getting glared at by several people. “uh… should we get going? I don’t think the people in here are appreciating our conversation.” Austin looked around laughing before nodding his head.

“Alright, let’s get out of here.” I stepped next to him so the two of us walked in step together before we came to the self-serve counters. Within seconds the two of us had finished and were just walking out to the door when a loud bang of thunder shook he building causing me to jump before rain pelted down.

“Wanna make a run for it?” I asked, I could see my car from the door and I knew if we ran we wouldn’t get too wet.

“Alright,” he grinned his eyes gleaming with determination. I fished my keys out of my jean pocket before the two of us clutched our books to our chest and ran toward my blue Rav4. I hit my unlock button and dove into the drivers seat putting my book on the floor behind me.

Laughter rang from my lips from the burst of adrenaline, my hair was sopping wet and my shirt was clinging to me as well as my jeans. I turned to look at Austin he wasn’t in much of a better state but he was laughing as well. His red hair was plastered to his face and his shirt clung to his shoulders like a second skin.

“Bit wet ay?” he joked.

“No, really?” I returned before grabbing my hair and wringing it out onto my lap. Placing my key in the ignition I pumped the heaters and was startled by how loud my music was when it came on. Quickly I turned it down before pulling out of the car park. “Brownie time!”

“And coffee.”

“Yeah that too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Another little one shot that involves Nicola and Austin

Enjoy

Cheers Esther :)