Status: Active (Slow Updates) ♥

Dangerous Slumber

Thirteen

Megan waited until Rick had joined them in the living room, thinking hard about what questions to ask Dan and the truth was that she didn’t know. There was no one question that was more important than another, she needed answers to all of them, and only then would they be able to move forward.

She kind of felt like a knight on a quest, like King Arthur’s knights of the round table going after the holy grail, and like them, she didn’t know what she was heading into or whether she would be coming back.

“You have a hell of a lot of explaining to do, Dan, and I strongly suggest that you start right now with how you know those men in the cemetery were after Megan?” Rick asked.

The anger in his words was something that Megan had never witnessed before, but she knew that it mirrored her own feelings and pushed any thoughts of it away.

“I know that I have a lot to explain and I will...” Dan stated, “To answer your question, I knew those men were after Megan because one of them is my brother and I overheard him planning it. He’s a member of the Ororian and, despite being a good person, he is very much a believer in their ways.”

“Why are they after me?”

“You're the only surviving member of the Supreme Coven, which means you’re the only person standing between them and what they want... they know nothing about Rick, the table, or the book.”

“How do you know all of this?” Rick added.

“I’ve been a reliable source on the Ororian’s movements since I discovered true intentions; Megan is not the only person who possesses abilities. I am a full member of the Ororian Clan, however, my abilities are nowhere near as strong as yours,” Dan replied, sounding a little hurt, “I can still communicate with the dead though.”

“What are the Orarion’s true intentions then?” Megan asked.

“The members of the Supreme Coven are responsible for the spirits of the dead; in simple terms you keep the good and the bad spirits separated. The Ororian want to use the evil spirits to do their dirty work and if that happens, then (whether they have abilities or not) nobody will be safe.”

“It would have been helpful if you had told me all this when we spoke.”

“I couldn’t be sure if you’d discovered your powers, or whether it really was a personal project because of your mom being who she was,” Dan admitted, “The last thing I wanted to do was scare you off because of how important you are to the cause.”

“I didn’t even know about this part of my mom’s life and I’m not surprised that she kept it to herself, people would think she was crazy.”

“Megan, the Ororian won’t stop coming after you until you’re dead,” Dan warned her, “It’s what they’re trained to do.”

“What are they... hunting dogs?” Megan joked in an attempt to lighten the mood.

The threat of impending death wasn’t exactly what she wanted to be thinking about, but it was there in the back of her mind and she couldn’t get rid of it.

“This isn’t funny, Megan,” Rick snapped.

“Do you think I don’t know how serious this is?” Megan replied, “I’m just a kid, I don’t want to die... I didn’t even want these stupid abilities in the first place. I should be worrying about boys and how to do my hair for school, not how to take out a group of men who want to kill me.”

“What do you want to do?” Rick inquired.

“We need to pack supplies and get everyone down to that table as soon as possible, it’ll be safer to move during the day. It’s kill or be killed, and everyone needs to decide if they are ready to face that.”

“You already know that I’m with you,” Rick told her without hesitation.

“If it means finally being free of the Ororian, then I’m in... what do you need me to do?”

“I need you to come up with a way of getting you, Rick, Mason Clark, and Logan Miller out of school for a few days.”

“How do you expect me to do that?”

“Easy, just tell the principal that you’re doing some historical research on the town and you need some people to help. Tell her who you want and maybe add that it’ll be a great image for the school, stuff like that normally wins her over,” Rick suggested.

“Rick and I will have everything else sorted by the time you get back,” Megan stated as Dan left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥