Status: Active (Slow Updates) ♥

Dangerous Slumber

Fourteen

It was half-past seven on a Wednesday morning and, instead of worrying whether she had everything for school, Megan was packing previsions for whatever they were about to face. Unsure of what she would need, she put torches, candles, knives, a first aid kit, and a bunch of other stuff into two rucksacks.

With a sigh, she glanced over to where Rick was sat sharpening more knives, and was hit by the realization of how much she truly admired him... how much she loved him. He had taken on his best friend’s daughter without even a hint of hesitation and, although she understood that he was her godfather, it still wasn’t something that he had to do.

She knew that she had been hard to handle since her parents died, but she swore to herself that once everything was done she’d try and do better. Things would change in more ways than one and although she hated change, she knew that it would be for the better.

“Earth to Megan,” Rick called, snapping her back to reality and watching her confused, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, I’m sorry for going all tactical ops on you... I’m not sure where that came from,” Megan replied, explaining it the best she could, “I just felt empowered, like everything was clicking into place and I was exactly where I was supposed to be.”

“I know where that came from.”

“Mum and dad?” Megan asked with a frown as he smiled.

“You may not be able to see them, but they are always going to be there and I see so much of your dad in you. That power you felt came from within, Megs, it’s parts of them that you were born with and I can tell you right now... they would be as proud of you as I am.”

“I love you,” Megan mumbled, throwing her arms around him and swallowing past the lump that had formed in her throat.

“I love you too, kid,” he whispered, kissing her on the head and hugging her tight.

Megan took a deep breath and then returned to what she was doing, but her head wasn’t on that. Though her mind was on the task at hand, she was also planning what she was going to write in her journal:

As a kid I take things for granted, I make mistakes, I get into trouble and I learn from it... isn’t that what being a kid is all about. It’s pushing boundaries, discovering who you are, and doing the wrong thing so that next time you’ll get it right. No kid should have to grow up this fast, but today I became a warrior and I will lead my knights onto the battlefield With a chuckle, she shook her head and found herself adding to the entry in her head P.S. If I should fall before I get to write this down, at least I can say that I stood up for what was important...

Brought back to reality by the thud of Rick’s bag hitting the floor, she looked up to see Dan walking through the door with Logan and Mason (Both of whom just looked happy to be out of school). They would probably laugh when they found out why they were really there, but she didn’t plan on telling them until they were at the table and sealed in; that way no one could run.

The real question though was could she really put them in danger, they were her best friends and they’d been with her through everything. Was she asking too much? The problem was that if she didn’t ask, then she may not be around to be their friend... how selfish was that. If they got hurt, or worse killed because of her, their blood would be on her hands and she wouldn’t be able to live with herself.

“Rick, can I talk to you in private, please?” Megan stated, earning a nod and leading him into the kitchen.

“What’s wrong?”

“I can’t put them in danger, it’s not fair and it isn’t their fight.”

“Megan, listen to me, none of you should have to be involved in this and I’m sorry that this is a part of your life,” Rick said, “If I could change things, I would, but this is seemingly the only way to finish it and we are doing it because I am not losing you.”

“I don’t want anyone getting hurt because of me, Rick.”

“I can’t tell you that everything will be okay, but we will go see what the book has to show us and go from there. If we think that it’s too dangerous, then we will find another way,” Rick promised, putting his hand on her shoulder and looking her straight in the eye.

“I’m scared, Rick.”

“So am I, but I won’t let anything happen to you... I will protect you with my life if I have to. Are you ready?”

“Let’s just go,” Megan said, heading back into the living room where Dan, Logan, and Mason were waiting.

“All set to go?” Dan asked as she collected one of the bags and made her way towards the door without a word.

Rick grabbed the other bag and they headed towards the cemetery, picking up Mrs. Laubrey on the way. All they had to mention was that they found some sort of passageway under the old cemetery and she had agreed to go along, which was a lot easier than Megan thought it would be.

Cautiously, they made their way to the older side of the cemetery and over to where the crypt was located. Once inside, Megan pulled down the candleholder that she had accidentally knocked before and watched as everyone looked on in amazement as the door again swung open. Rick headed along the tunnel first, stopping when he reached the cavern where the table stood and the book lay undisturbed from when they had left it before.

Megan scanned the room, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath to clear her mind. Nothing felt different and there was no change in the vibe that the room seemed to hold, both of which were good signs in Megan’s opinion.

With her attention back on the others (who were all exploring the cavern), she decided that it was time to tell them the truth and tried to unscramble the words floating around in her head. This was it, no turning back, no regrets, and no fear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥