Status: Active (Slow Updates) ♥

Dangerous Slumber

Fifteen

After a few minutes, Megan looked around the group of people gathered in the small room and finally rested her gaze upon Rick who gave her an encouraging nod. With her eyes closed, she took a deep breath and decided that she was as ready as she was ever going to be.

“Hey, can you all come here... I have something to say,” Megan said as Rick moved to stand beside her.

“What’s up, Meg?” Logan asked.

“I didn’t tell you the truth about why we’re all here and I think that you deserve to know everything, before we go any further. Here goes nothing, I’m a witch and a member of a secret society known as the Supreme coven,” Megan began, trying to keep it as simple as possible, “Long story short, a group called the Ororian are trying to gain control over the spirits and it’s my job to stop them. The book on the table contains information that I need and the only way to unlock it is to have the right people sat around the table, I believe that we create some sort of key.”

Despite everything, she decided to just be honest and hoped that that would work.

“So, all you need us to do is sit around the table?” Mason added with a frown.

“As far as I know.”

“I’m not saying that I believe you because you sound like a crazy person, but if you believe it... then that’s good enough for me,” Logan said with a smile, which Megan returned and he simply nodded.

“For the record, I think you’re crazy too,” Mason said, “You can count me in as well though.”

“Mrs. Laubrey?” Megan inquired.

“When you first came to my house I knew you were special, there was just something about you and now I know what that something was. I will do anything that I can to help.”

Megan smiled as Rick told them all where they needed to sit and everyone followed his instructions, but nothing happened for what seemed like ages. Then Megan spotted Mildred and her mom appear to the side, along with several other women forming a circle around the group.

“Megs, you see them right?” Mason stated.

“Yeah, I see them,” Megan mumbled, staring at her mom who smiled at her.

“Do not be afraid, we won’t harm you,” Mildred reassured them, her voice seeming lower than before and yet still just as melodic.

“Megan, turn the page,” her mom instructed.

Doing as she was told, Megan realized that the once blank pages had writing covering them and began to read out loud.

‘Everyone around the table is a valuable ally, they possess the characteristics needed at this time, they are loyalty, bravery, and honesty. One by one they have been tested and your destiny became theirs, woven into the seams of time to be revealed at precisely the right time’ Megan read, understanding now why the others had to be there, Be prepared for what’s to come and just remember, you are capable of more than you know.’

“What is the destiny?” Rick inquired.

“The destiny says that Megan will stand against the Ororian, keeping the souls of the good and the bad separated. Only as a group will you overcome the obstacles along the way and uncover the answers that you seek... the fate of the dead is in your hands,” Mildred explained as the women gradually faded away.

“No pressure then,” Megan shouted into thin air.

“Right now, all that’s important is that we know what’s going on,” Rick stated, “That gives us enough time to at least come up with a plan.”

“I no longer think you’re crazy, Megs and I’m with you every step of the way,” Logan told her.

“Same here, we’ve always said best friends until the end and there’s nothing that changes that... not even shady ghost ladies.”

“I really did want to tell you guys everything, but I didn’t want anyone else getting involved until I understood what was going on myself.”

“We get it, you obviously had a lot to get your head around and I guess that us thinking you were crazy wouldn’t have helped much,” Logan replied.

“We need to come up with a plan,” Rick urged from his seat beside her, pulling everyone’s attention to him and continuing, “I’m sure that they already have one.”

“Well, we can’t fight without weapons and we’d be stupid to do anything without the knowledge of what the Ororian have to throw at us,” Megan added.

“Okay, Logan, Mason... have a look around and see if you can find anything that we can use as weapons. Dan, you can talk us through everything you know about the Ororian,” Rick ordered.

Megan didn’t move from her position beside Rick, leafing through the book that was now full of information and looking for anything that might come in useful. She soon came across a section of text, which told her how to get in touch with her powers and she allowed her mind to wander.

“Megan,” Dan called, waving his hand in front of her face and clicking his fingers to get her full attention a while later, “Did you hear what I said?”

“Sorry, I was miles away... what did you say?”

“Dan was saying that the Ororian’s only believe in close combat, which means they usually steer clear of guns. What were you reading?”

“This section of the book is all about connecting with my powers and getting them under control,” Megan explained, anxiety building in her chest, “By the sound of it... I am the weapon we need.”

“Do you think that you can do what it says and get your powers under control in such a short timeframe?” Dan added.

“It doesn’t look that difficult to do, it’s just about blocking out the world and searching within myself.”

Not wanting to hurt anyone, Megan walked over to a space away from everyone else and closed her eyes. She found it easy to block everything out around her, closing her mind off to what was happening in the room and thinking about being beside Rick.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥

Something is slightly off about this chapter, but I've re-written it three times and I can't seem to get it right!