Status: Active (Slow Updates) ♥

Dangerous Slumber

Seven

What if he doesn’t believe that it’s just a personal project, and starts asking questions that I can’t answer? Megan thought as she drew closer, taking a deep breath to steady her nerves and tapping him on the shoulder to get his attention.

“Megan, what can I do for you?” he asked as he turned around to face her.

“What it is... I’ve started this research project at home on a topic that I stumbled across, and I was hoping that you might be able to help me with it?”

“I’ll see what I can do, what’s the topic of this project?”

“It’s a group of women who go by the name of the Supreme Coven,” Megan explained, continuing when Dan simply nodded in response, “I found out that it was started by Mildred Evans in 1910 based around her dislike for men and children, as well as her belief that she should only socialize with women from a certain background or heritage. That’s all great information, but I’m really having trouble finding anything more about them or what they actually did as a coven.”

“I don’t know much more than you do, but I came across it from research I did before I transferred here... let me think,” Dan replied as he perched on the edge of his desk, “The basic information you’ve gathered is all correct from what I can remember and, as a coven, it was documented that they would gather regularly, but some say that they also had secret meetings out by Mrs. Laubrey’s cottage. Stories that I read tell of three men disappearing after altercations with the members, William Hewitt was the first person to disappear, followed by James Lacey and finally Robert Cowen, all highly respected miners within the town...”

“Those were the disappearances that the coven was accused of being involved with,” Megan added, earning a nod and frowning, “Do you think that the coven was behind it?”

“From what I read about Mildred, she was very close to her family and I don’t see why she would risk it so close to home, especially with how open the coven was with their beliefs.”

“I didn’t think of it like that... that’s a good argument. Do you think they were witches like everyone said?”

“I think that they believed they were witches, but were really just a group of women with something in common,” Dan answered.

“So, you think that they were run out of town for no reason?”

“I do.”

“If they were innocent, then why not stick around and prove it?” Megan stated with a frown, “Surely, if Mildred’s family meant that much to her, she would have put up a fight or something?”

“That’s true, but maybe she left to save her family from the hassle that staying could cause... wouldn’t you rather let your family live in peace?”

“Of course, but I wouldn’t run away,” Megan answered honestly, “I’d want people to know the truth if I was being accused of something I hadn’t done.”

For someone who claimed that he didn’t know much about the Supreme Coven, Dan sure had a lot to say and Megan found herself doubting whether he could be trusted. There was something about his tone that gave her the sense of dishonesty and nothing added up, but she couldn’t figure out why he’d lie.

The remainder of the school day flew by, but Megan had found it hard to concentrate and, instead, spent the time in class wondering why Dan’s knowledge on the coven seemed wrong to her. She decided to ask Rick for his opinion and left school, stopping by the cemetery to visit her parents grave.

Most people got lost in a good book or drawing to clear their heads, but nothing set Megan’s mind at ease more than talking to her parents about stuff. She made her way through the rows of headstones until she finally reached her parent’s one, taking off her bag and sitting down on the ground.

“Hey mom... hey dad... I really wish you were here. Things are so messed up right now and I’m starting to think that I’m on a train going nowhere, it’s just going to keep going around on the tracks until it either crashes or runs out of steam,” Megan whispered as the feeling of being watched washed over her.

She scanned her surroundings, but the only person around was a young guy sitting near the memorial and she didn’t think that he even realized that he wasn’t alone. A cold breeze suddenly whipped up around her and a crow cawed from somewhere in a nearby tree as she stood up, causing her to take off.

“Are you okay?” Rick asked as she ran through the door, slamming it shut and leaning against it as she tried to catch her breath.

“Yeah, I think I just freaked myself out... at least I hope it was just me,” Megan replied, entering the kitchen and realizing that she was interrupting Rick’s work.

“What happened?” he added concerned.

“It can wait until later, I’m going to go do some homework and we’ll talk about everything at dinner,” Megan told him with a smile, earning a nod and disappearing upstairs to her room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just don't know... I hope you enjoy ♥