Up in Flames

Ignite

Cold air whipped against his face, stinging his cheeks as he stood just outside of the roof access door, repeatedly attempting to light the cigarette clenched between his teeth. Scoffing as it battered against him for what felt like the millionth time, he shuffled backward just into the doorframe, hoping that would provide enough of a wind break.

In hindsight, smoking on the ground floor would have provided him with better blockage from the wind, and truthfully he hated heights. But his laziness had gotten the better of him; the trip up the stairs to the roof was shorter in distance in relation to his apartment than the long ride down the elevator.

Less people, too. After the day he'd had, there was no one he felt particularly interested in crossing paths with.

I just need five minutes. He flicked the lighter again, igniting the end of the cigarette, the smell of tobacco smoke filling the space around him. Taking the first drag in a long, deep breath, he sighed on the exhale, tilting his head and releasing a smokey trail to the dark heavens. He watched it float out of sight before shoving his hands into his pockets, letting his body slump into the doorframe. He closed his eyes, trying to will the pressure he felt building in his temples away.

"I thought I would find you up here." The voice was soft and lilting, as if coming from lips holding a smile. He smirked as a pair of arms encircled his midsection.

"Shizuo . You know how I feel about those awful things."

Without opening his eyes, he brought his left hand to his mouth and withdrew the cigarette, tossing it to the ground and stomping it out beneath his shoe.

"Yeah, yeah." He reached out and pulled her around to his chest, the scent of honey replacing tobacco as he leaned down and nuzzled the top of her head.

"Shizuo ." She sighed and leaned in to him, her body was warm, a welcome contrast to the wind.

His arms tightened around her, tears began to well up in his eyes, but he kept them firmly closed.

"Sh-shi-zu-o..."

Warmth grew to heat. A familiar crackling filled his ears and his arms stiffened, but he held on, eyes closed as the tears began to run down his cheeks freely as she began to shriek.

"Shizuo! "

______

With a roar, his eyes flew open as he bolted upright, fists clenched and shaking, jaw sore from how hard he had been gritting his teeth. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room, his head swiveled frantically, his eyes trying to find what they wished to see, all to no avail.

You'll never see her again.

He threw back his head and let out a wail of frustration at the ceiling, which faded into a choked sob as his head fell forward into his hands, trembling.

This was how he stayed until morning. Until it was time for him to wake up and do it all again.

______

You know it's been so long since I've slept;
I've been uneasy and it's easily you.