Up in Flames

Fuel

She had come to Ikebukuro to work as a primary school teacher shortly after graduating college. Her undying optimism and passion for educating and guiding youths was unmatched by many colleagues of her age and experience level.

Her parents were distraught by her decision to teach in a place so riddled with crime, a place shrouded by rumors and urban legends. But there was nothing they could say that would put a damper on the stars in her eyes, so they settled for tearful goodbyes and the promises of weekly phone calls and monthly visits.

She reassured them that everything would be alright. She would be staying with a lovely elderly couple that the school had put her in contact with until she had saved enough for her own apartment. She had already visited them as well as the school. It was all she had hoped for and more.

So she left by rail and didn't look back. Each stop brought her closer to living her dream in her field of career and farther away from the tiny, sheltered town she'd grown to despise.

Closer to freedom. The butterflies within her just grew faster and fluttered harder with each passing hour, the anticipation steeling her resolve.

When her stop was announced on the overhead speaker, she jumped out of her seat and grabbed her bags out of the overhead compartment, slinging then over her shoulder and anxiously awaiting the sound of the air brakes.

The doors opened and she rushed out into the station alongside her fellow passengers, not stopping until she had ascended up the escalator and out into the streets of her new beginning.

Only then did she stop to drink in the sights, sounds, and smells of the bustling city. She felt so small, so insignificant. It was terrifying yet exciting to feel this way.

"Welcome home, Chouko." She breathed to herself as she stared up at the sky high buildings around her, a feeling of peace falling over her.


_____

Shizuo, you there?

Tom called Shinra. He said you didn't come in to work this morning and wouldn't answer his calls.

He also said you moved again. What the actual hell?

He gave me your address, you know. I will come over there.

And if you're not dead or kidnapped, so help me I can make one of those two things happen.

(;;°°)

I'm sorry. That was uncalled for.

I just really need to know you're okay. Please?

I'm worried about you. Just... let me know you're alive. As soon as you get this.

The constant vibrating of his phone beside his head roused him from his sleep. Slowly he propped his body up on his left elbow, getting his bearings and realizing he was still on the floor. His face felt raw and his body ached from laying on the worn carpet. Reaching out and grabbing his phone hastily, he flipped it open, silencing the vibrations.

Jesus. He couldn't help but laugh to himself as he scrolled through the spastic messages, shaking his head.

"Good old Celty." Rubbing his eyes to clear them of the half fog of sleep, he yawned. "Always looking out."

I'm fine. Don't have a cow. Just having a rough one. Need some time to get my head on straight.

Five minutes passed before his phone vibrated once more. He smiled sadly at the response.

It's her, isn't it?

He winced. Of course you'd get it on the first try. Sitting up fully, he pulled his knees to his chest. He briefly considered typing a joking reply, but decided the truth was best. She'd already guessed correctly anyway.

You got it.

...

You wanna talk about it?


Thanks, but not really. You'll probably try to have me committed. He realized after having sent that message that it probably came out a lot harsher than he meant it to.

It would only be for your own good.

Gee, thanks. He'd done the therapy thing for a while. But it had only helped so much. Rolling his eyes, he snapped his phone shut, just in time to receive another message.

I know she was very special to you. I regret never getting to meet her.

Thank you. I regret it too. Who knows, maybe one day you will meet. His heart skipped and he swallowed around the familiar lump in his throat.

Turning his phone to silent mode, he laid back down and curled up with his arm supporting his head, hoping the exhaustion would take him again.

_____

You’re dripping like a saturated sunrise;
You’re spilling like an overflowing sink...
♠ ♠ ♠
Name drop ftw. Also, "peace"? In Ikebukuro? Girl, please.

Also idk about this chapter pacing and I might go back and take it down and split it up later, I'll have to see. It made sense and I liked it originally, but now ehhhhhhh.