Status: Will be slow in updates as am still in full time education but will try to update as regularly as possible

Better for You

Chapter 1

I inhaled a deep breath as I looked ahead of me at what was going to be my new home for the next 3 years. My mother came up from behind me and gave my back what was intended as a reassuring rub, causing me to tense before I walked away and began walking towards my dormitory.

I was new to America, and the whole 'new world' that my mother was enthusing about was slightly daunting. We had family over here in the States, and so I had been here before, but only for a couple of weeks at a time, whereas this move was permanent. Maybe family was what she needed but it certainly wasn’t what I wanted.

I had spent many summers over here and I had made friends with my grandparent’s neighbours, Abby, who I had kept in touch with; and found out was going to the same college. She had also managed to pull a few strings and get me into the same dorm as her, which I was very thankful about; considering as otherwise I'd have to spend the next 3 years of my life sleeping in the same room as a stranger.

I was glad that I at least knew one person in this college and so I could always talk to her, but other than her I knew no-one and that thought both terrified and comforted me. Mum and I were definitely in need of a break from England, and she believed that this was the best way to move on from what happened back home, but what she didn’t seem to understand wa that part of what I needed a break from was her.

I tucked a strand of my naturally wavy blonde hair, I had put a few strands back although some of the others seemed to fly in my face because of the wind. I had put on a nude lipstick and subtle eyeliner around my blue eyes as I wanted to make some sort of impression on my first day here. I was wearing a pink dip-dyed tank top, black high-waisted shorts, white converse and some accessories; including my heart necklace which hung proudly on my neck, that my boyfriend of a year (Mike) had bought me on my birthday.

My mum followed close behind as I made my way into the building and began climbing the two flights of stairs before walking down the wide long hallways. After what had felt like an eternity, I finally came up to my room; room number 202. I knocked on the door and it opened to reveal my best friend, Abby who seemed to be very excited to see me there. She immediately pulled me into a bone crushing hug and pulled away to take in my form before pulling me into another hug again.

"Izzy!!" She exclaimed, "it's been so long!" I smiled widely at her and took the chance to take in her appearance too. She was wearing a pink crop top with a black skater skirt with vans. I also noticed her tattoo on her wrist saying 'Live In The Moment' - It's a bit cliche but was a good quote to chose and seemed to suit her personality; well, what I can remember of it at least.

"I know! you've gotten so pretty!" I replied and she batted her eyelashes at me playfully. She really had become stunning, she had gorgeous light brown eyes with glossy brown hair that easily passed her shoulders, making it halfway down her back.

I then looked behind her at the room that I'd be staying in for the next 3 years of my life, and I wasn't too badly disappointed. Sure it wasn't massive, but it was bigger than I had imagined. My mum then made her presence know as she greeted Abby, meanwhile I placed my box onto the bed and sat down next to it, letting out an audible sigh of content.

"Sweetie, are you going to be all right here?" My mum asked and I forced a smile at her and nodded my head. "You know I am always here if you need me sweetheart but please don’t waste this opportunity and spoil yourself, you know how hard we have worked to get you to this position" My mum smiled at me patronisingly and with a stroke on my cheek she added “don’t forget to work hard and look after yourself” and I nodded my head stiffly before pulling away. Abby distracted herself while mum told me these suggestions, that we more like subtle demands. This had to be killing my mum, letting go of the control over me that she had.

"I will try to mum" I told her as she smiled and turned to walk away.

I watched her leave and as she made it to the stairs she turned around saying, "Make me proud Izzybell" before disappearing down the stairs. 'Izzybell' had been my nickname from my parents. They both liked the name Izzy and Isobel and so decided to nickname me Izzybell.

I turned back around to face Abby and let out a synchronized shriek of excitement with her before unpacking my stuff into the wardrobe.

I had been unpacking quickly while Abby had been lying on her bed, asking me random questions about life in England, moving and family before getting onto the topic of boyfriends.

"So, what your boyfriend called?" She asked as I placed my alarm clock on the bedside table. I rolled my eyes and tilted my head to look at her with raised eyebrows.

"How do you know that I have a boyfriend?" I countered as I was pretty sure that I hadn't mention Mike once.

"Because you're wearing a heart necklace..." Abby stated as if it was that obvious, which it probably was. I blushed a bit as I thought of Mike, and the memory of when he gave the necklace to me, promising that I had his entire heart. "So, what's he called?"

"Michael; well I call him Mike or Mikey but everyone else calls him Michael." I replied, absent-mindedly twirling my necklace with my fingers.

"Aww, isn't it going to be hard doing long distance with him?" Abby asked sympathetically and I shrugged my shoulders at her. Then a knock sounded at the door, followed by someone barging in. "Don't you have any manners?" Abby scolded playfully, and I turned around to take a look at who she was talking to. A blonde boy with blue eyes that were fixed on me.

"Abby, who's this?" He asked and Abby flickered her eyes at me and smiled.

"This is Izzy, my new room-mate but old friend. Izzy, this is Niall." Abby introduced and I smiled and waved at him.

"Well, it's lovely to meet you Izzy." Niall told me and I smiled and nodded, "but Abby I just came over to tell you that there's going to be a party tonight, at Zayn's place. Everyone's invited; so that does include your lovely new room-mate." Niall informed Abby, winking at me as he mentioned me.

"Ok, count me in, how about you Izzy?" Abby asked and I bit my lip in thought. I was well aware of what parties in America included, teenagers getting drunk and hooking up. I was fine with that concept for other people but didn’t want that for myself, I had someone to come home to and I didn’t want to be unfaithful… But at the same time I was new here and needed to meet new people.

"Sure," I agreed and Abby let out a squeak of excitement. I giggled at her excitement and then Niall gave us both a smile before leaving.

"Ok, this is going to be so much fun! I'm going to show your English ass how to have a good time!" Abby raved and I raised my eyebrows at her.

"You can try but I don’t plan on drinking fyi." I told her and her expression immediately dropped.

"Why not? Come on, it'll be fun!" She promised, sticking out her bottom lip and pouting at me, causing me to chuckle at her.

"Yeah, but I have lessons tomorrow and I don't want to end up doing something I'll regret." I explained and Abby rolled her eyes at me before finally giving in. She huffed in defeat, while I gave her a wide victorious smile. I then went back to unpacking my things and Abby returned to her previous position, and returned to the topic of Mike.

Abby and I were walking to the party, I was wearing the same outfit as I was before, however Abby had changed into bright pink hot pants and a mint green crop top that read 'Bestest' paired with white high tops and the addition of heavier make-up.

We made it to the front door of the frat house, and Abby just walked in confidently, and I made my way in behind her, sticking to her like a shadow. "Abby!" A group of people slurred loudly and she walked over to them, as if she owned the place.

"Hey everyone! This is my new roomie, Izzy! We've known each other since we were like six so be nice to her!" Abby exclaimed and I timidly waved at the group and smiled as they all said a bunch of greetings. "So, this is Niall, the one who you met earlier." She began, pointing to Niall who smiled and winked at me, causing a light blush to appear on my cheeks, that I prayed went unnoticed.

"That's Liam" She then introduced, gesturing towards a brunette with brown hair up in a quiff and brown eyes.

"Louis" She stated, pointing towards another male brunette, this time with blue eyes, who smiled and waved at me.

"Andy" She then introduced, pointing in the direction of a female with long wavy brown hair and brown eyes. She offered me a kind smile and I knew that she was a nice person, and was the type of person that I could see myself being good friends with.

Abby then turned to point at a girl with mousy brown hair, but before she could say anything the girl rolled her green eyes at me and stormed off. "Well... That's Lacy." She explained, rolling her eyes at Lacy, "she can be pretty childish at times..." She trailed off. I giggled, and then Andy moved to the left on the sofa and patted the space, implying for me to sit. I smiled at her and sat down beside her.

"So, how do you know Abby?" She asked me.

"Well, when I was younger I would go on holiday to America, to my grandparents house, and their next door neighbour just so happened to be Abby" I explained and Andy smiled, nodding.

"Yeah, she was really excited about you coming! She actually tidied her dorm for you!" Andy giggled and I chuckled, while Abby threw an empty cup at Andy jokingly.

"I'm not that messy... It's just that I lose things and so have to make a mess of things while I try to find them..." Abby told the group, trailing off at the end.

"So Izzy, where do you come from?" Niall asked, clearly catching onto my strong accent.

"Across the pond" I told them and they all nodded.

"Well, well, well. Who do we have here?" A brunette with a mop of curly brown hair which was messily quiffed yet looked styled to perfection and paired with piercing green eyes asked coming from out of nowhere.

"Leave her alone Harry, she's taken." Abby moaned at the boy who's name must've been Harry. He gave me a flirtatious smirk and I rolled my eyes, already knowing that he was a player; he had it written all over him. He was hot, really hot, like he should be a supermodel hot, but I don't fall for players because I don't like playing their games.

"Well, is your boyfriend here?" He asked with a slow and velvety voice, raising his eyebrows at me. I sighed at him, and flickered my eyes to Abby who was too busy glaring holes into the back of Harry's head to notice me, then flickered my eyes back to him.

"No, he's back in England." I replied and Harry smirked at me again showcasing his perfectly aligned teeth and charming dimples - damn did he have to be so perfect in every physical aspect?

"And I take it that that's where you come from?" he asked, perching beside me on the sofa arm, despite the fact that clearly no-one wanted him there.

"What gave it away?" I asked sarcastically, and he chuckled, shaking his head.

"You've got an attitude, I like it." He commented and I raised my eyebrows, ignoring my irritated attitude towards him he hollered, "Hey, Zayn!" and a short sigh left Andy's lips; I guess that she didn't like Zayn.

A guy with dark brown hair, pushed up in a quiff, came walking over to me. He had olive skin, slight stubble and caramel brown eyes. "This is the new girl that Abby's been going on about." Harry teased, as Zayn took a seat in between Abby and Niall on the sofa.

"Hey, I never even told you that!" Abby argued and Harry chuckled at her; I take it that he finds almost everything funny.

"Yeah, but I was behind you when you were practically shouting it to your “friends”!" Harry shot back.. "So newbie, I don’t recall you mentioning your name." Harry stated and I raised my eyebrows at him, giving him a look of disinterest.

"You’re right." I told him blankly.

“So what should I call you then?” Harry quipped, tilting his head slightly as he looked at me intently, his eyes trying to search for something.

“How about you don’t?” I returned and he scoffed, his face seemed to be in genuine shock. Judging by his alluring appearance and the expression of his face at my response it was evident that he wasn’t used to being rejected.

“Oh but then how would I refer to you when I brag to everyone about how I fucked the hot british newbie before anyone else?” Harry asked with an innocent tone but his eyes shining as he smirked at me. What a freaking arsehole. He was unbelievable.

“I guess you could refer to me as the queen seeing as that would make a more believable story.” I stated and glared at him and guess what he did; he laughed. He laughed and it was the most beautiful sound and I wanted to whack him over the head with hammer but I somehow stopped myself; beating up someone on my first day wouldn’t exactly help me make new friends.

“Ok, I have an idea then” Harry began with a wicked gleam in his eyes as he addressed the group."Let's play a game of truth or dare." Harry asked, confirming my thoughts, that he was a boy who liked to play games.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/untitled_18/set?id=124464436

Also, here are the people that I picture playing the parts (obviously all of the One Direction members look the same)

Izzy Hartley : Ashley Benson
Andy Grove : Nina Dobrev
Lucy Fenn : Cara Delevigne
Abby Wilson : Lily Collins
Mike Hemming : Chord Overstreet