Status: Will be slow in updates as am still in full time education but will try to update as regularly as possible

Better for You

Chapter 12

I hadn’t been able to think clearly ever since the almost kiss that had happened two days ago. My mind was clouded with this fog that just wouldn’t seem to clear. I had pretty much kept myself to myself for the past two days. Abby and Andy had tried to get me out of my room but I needed this. I needed to isolate myself from the world for a while. I needed to be alone and figure out everything.

I felt this constant weight on my shoulders of guilt that wouldn’t seem to leave. I had only been single for around 5 hours before I had almost kissed Harry. But what I felt even worse for was the undeniable feelings that Harry had stirred in me. It was a feeling which I had never felt with Mike, and ever since the kiss I’d been comparing Mike with Harry constantly.

I had come to a conclusion on my feelings between Mike and Harry. With Mike I felt this familiar safety, like he was the pair of strong arms to catch me whenever I’d fall. But with Harry it was dangerous; he was intoxicating and exciting and made me feel things that I had never felt before. Just sitting next to him in class would cause an unfamiliar warmth and hanging around with him was like a breath of fresh air.

I had spent the previous two days sitting on my bed and watching movies on my laptop, occasionally checking my social media, but I hadn’t posted anything; just removed Mike from my bio.

I had been thinking about Harry and what he said to me over and over again. He said that he’d wait for me, but what the hell did that mean? Did I want Harry to “wait” for me? Just thinking about him like that caused my stomach to flip. But I knew that I couldn’t trust Harry with my heart just yet. I was vaguely aware that I was beginning to develop some sort of feeling towards Harry but I could never let Harry know, he could so easily use it against me and I would rather not allow that.

My thoughts were disturbed by a knock at the door; I got up towards the door and opened it cautiously only to be met by the green eyed beauty himself. My breath seemed to catch in my throat at the sight of him; he was so beautiful it actually hurt. “Hi,” I greeted, opening the door for him to come inside.

“Oh no, I actually wanted to take you out.” Harry began, my heart raced as I heard his words; take me out? Harry must have picked up on this as he quickly corrected himself, “ just like out of the dorm.” My lips formed an ‘o’ and I nodded and turned to grab my bag, hoping my hair would hide my face and the blush that was creeping up onto it.

“Ok, I’m ready to go.” I told him as he nodded and we went out. I was only wearing my ombre white to blue jumper with short black frayed shorts along with a necklace and some navy blue converse. Harry nodded as I tucked my IPhone into my pocket and followed him down the building.

“Where are you taking me?” I asked as Harry pulled out onto the main road.

“To the woods.” Harry replied and I nodded, taking out my phone to reply to a few texts that I had received from Abby. I then looked at the time, realising that I probably needed to have dinner soon as it was already 7:00 and I had skipped lunch.

After around 15 minutes of driving Harry parked the car and hopped out, and I did the same, then following him as he led the way to the tree house. Harry climbed up the ladder, and I followed him closely then climbing into the tree house.

“What made you decide to take me here?” I asked, looking out of the tree house to take in the beauty of the forest from up here.

“You’re a curious person aren’t you?” Harry commented, his voice rising at the end, however it came out as more of a statement than a question.

“Yep.” I answered, turning to look at him and his heavy gaze at me. His eyes looked full of lust as his eyes flickered to my lips, causing electricity to crackle in the air around us before he turned his head to face away from me.

“I uh, wanted to spend some time with you” Harry trailed off, scratching the back of his neck. I couldn’t help the huge grin that was covering my face at his reply, as his answer caused an unusual feeling erupt within me.

“You like spending time with me?” I asked sarcastically although an undertone of insecurity ran deep through my voice.

“You’re not like the other girls around here; you’re genuine and just different.” Harry answered, looking me deep in my eyes before continuing, “ most other girls would have broken down by the way that I’d treated you; but you didn’t. You actually fought back.” Harry explained and I shrugged. He was right, I was pretty tough - but it wasn’t always a good thing. I just wear a mask and bottle up my feelings for as long as I can.

“I hate crying in front of people.” I confessed. “I just feel weak and damn awkward.”

“Well, your sass very much intrigued me.” Harry answered, his voice sounding flirty and full of meaning as an electricity filled the air once again.

A bird then chose to randomly sing a tune, as I jumped back in shock. Harry chuckled a bit at my reaction. “You need to loosen up.” Harry suggested.

“And how should I do that?” I quipped, turning my head sharply to face him.

“Well, there are many ways.” Harry answered, his low raspy voice teasing my ears as he dropped a wink my way. Was he referring to what I thought he was?

“Is everything about sex to you?” I asked and Harry raised his hands in innocence.

“Hey, I never said anything about sex.” Harry answered and I rolled my eyes playfully.

“No, but you implied it though.” I replied, looking out of the tree house and noticing how much darker the sky had gotten.

“Not my fault your mind is constantly in the gutter, Izzy.” Harry retorted and my cheeks blushed, Harry knew exactly what he was doing.

After a few more minutes of talking a silence descended upon us and I turned my attention to focus on the sunset ahead of us. “It’s beautiful, isn’t it.” I stated, staring at the view ahead of me, amber shades melting into a deep red - it was truly mesmerising.

“Yes, yes it is” Harry responded as he stood up and brushed the dirt from his trousers. “Do you wanna head back now?” Harry asked and I simply nodded in return as I got up and began climbing down the ladder, then walking over to his car after him.

We hadn’t been driving for long when my stomach let out a quiet growl that unfortunately didn’t go unnoticed. “You hungry?” Harry asked and I nodded my head sheepishly. “Ok, well I know this diner place that’s not too bad, if you want to go there?” Harry suggested, and my heart warmed at how Harry spoke. He really had changed since when I first met him, he was being so sincere to me and actually treating me well.

When I had first met him he treated me like a piece of meat, and then we had this hate relationship; and now it’s this; whatever this is. I wouldn’t call us friends, there was something else there, but yet we weren’t anything more.

Harry parked in the car park and we both went out of the car, and into the diner. It was a rather cosy place, which had a 60s theme to it. “What do you want to eat?” Harry asked after I’d scanned through the menu for a good 5 minutes, and I was stuck between whether to be healthy and order the salad or go ahead and eat a burger and fries. I could picture my mum’s expression as I looked at the cheeseburger on the menu.

“Uhm, I’ll get the salad.” I decided and looked up to Harry who was frowning at me. “What?” I asked and Harry tilted his head to the side with a heavy and unwavering gaze.

“Are sure that’s enough for you? You said that you were hungry in the car.” Harry spoke slowly with a tone of suspicion.

“Yes, well I had a big lunch and I’m just in the mood for something fresh.” I lied; I hadn’t eaten lunch and I was hungry but I didn’t want to let my mum down strangely. That time of year was coming around for the first time and I couldn’t stand letting my mum down, so if that meant that I watched what I ate, so be it. I needed to be careful of what I ate anyway, I have an incredibly inefficient metabolism as it is.

“Ok” Harry answered to drop the topic, however his body language suggested that he wasn’t buying my excuse.

“So what are you going to get?” I asked, successfully changing the topic.

“Cheeseburger and fries.” Harry replied, closing his menu, and raising his hand as a signal for the waiter to come over.

After a surprisingly pleasant dinner with Harry we both went back to my dorm and I offered to watch a movie with Harry, which he agreed to. I walked in and saw Abby sitting on her bed, typing on her laptop. “Hey.” I greeted her as I began setting up my laptop and logging onto Netflix to find a good movie to watch.

“Hey” she answered back, although she seemed more interested in the texts she was typing that talking to Harry and I.

“Abby, we’re gonna watch a film, do you want to join us?” I asked, looking up at Abby from my laptop as Harry and I settled down on my bed.

“No thanks, I’m going out with Andy and the boys. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Abby replied, grabbing her bag and then leaving.

“Ok, so we can watch Mean Girls 2; but it’s pretty crap so I’d strongly suggest against it… How about Clueless? Clueless is a classic.” I told Harry and he shrugged. I smiled strongly as I clicked on the movie and moved closer to Harry as the movie played, and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on the movie given the fact that Harry placed his arm around my shoulders; sending the familiar buzz around my body.