Status: Will be slow in updates as am still in full time education but will try to update as regularly as possible

Better for You

Chapter 17

Harry and I had only spent a couple more minutes sitting on the bench talking when we decided to part ways, leaving with a casual “I’ll see you around” as I got into my car and drove back to my dorm room.

I opened the door to my dorm to reveal an empty room as I walked over to my bed and fell back onto it, inhaling a deep breath before deciding to file away my notes away and start reading through my reading assignments.

After around an hour Abby came stumbling into the room with a stupidly big grin on her face and her whole body seemed to be entranced, exuding happiness through her every pore. I cocked my head at her with raised eyebrows, silently asking her why she was so happy.

“Niall told me he loves me.” Abby spoke smiling, and I worried that her cheeks would cramp but I grinned back at her.

“Abby, I’m so happy for you! Did you say it back?” I asked her and she bit her lip while nodding her head at me. I was genuinely very happy for Abby, her and Niall were adorably cute together and they deserved all of the happiness together. “How did it happen?”

“We were just talking and he kept on staring at me, like really staring at me and I asked him why he was staring at me like that and he just said ‘because I love you’ and then he blushed because I don’t think that he meant to say it, like he was thinking it but just blurted it out. But it was so sweet and I asked him if he meant it and then he said all of this sweet stuff and then I just blurted out that I loved him too… And then we had some great I-love-you sex.” Abby explained, laughing at me cringing the last part.

“Well, I’m happy for you two - are you going to tell the others then?” I asked her and she pursed her lips thinking.

“I don’t know, we didn’t speak about it but I don’t know honestly.” She told me and I nodded in understanding.

“So I have something to tell you which you may not like” I told her and Abby eyed me cautiously. “Harry cornered me today and I spoke to him.”

“Izzy, please tell me that you told him to go fuck himself and then left.” Abby spoke steadily and I visibly cringed. “Izzy”.

“Uhm, well he apologised a lot and I told him that so long as he moved slowly we could try being friendly again.” I told Abby and she sighed loudly.

“Izzy, this is what always happens with you two and he always manages to fuck it up somehow. You need to break this cycle thing that you two have.” Abby advised.

“I know, I know how it is and if he fucks this up then I’ll never speak to him again, but it’s just so much easier being civil with him than hating him. I’m tired of being angry at him.” I explained to Abby and her expression softens as she understood what I was trying to explain.

“Izzy, are you-” Abby began but stopped as her eyebrows furrowed, “are you in-love with him?” Abby asked and I felt the blood rushing out from my face as my face paled.

“I don’t know.” I breathed and Abby looked at me sympathetically in response.

“Izzy-”

“No, please Abby I already know. I know that Harry’s bad for me and that he hurts me” I told Abby, pausing before continuing, “but he makes me happy and there’s something there that just pulls me in”. I tried to explain to Abby and she stared at me for a couple of seconds before replying.

“Ok, so long as you know what you’re doing.” Abby told me with a small smile which I returned before
getting back to my reading assignments.

Later that day I was checking into my work shift at work when my friend Amy came running up to me and gave me a big hug - she was overly affectionate from the start but this action suggested that she was overly happy. “Hey, what’s up?” I asked her as she removed her arms that we wrapped around me and gave me a big smile.

“I passed my driving test!” She grinned at me and I smiled back at her - she had started driving a year and a half ago and had failed her test 3 times.

“That’s amazing, you go girl!” I told her and she shimmied her shoulders and crinkled her nose.

“Yes, I’ll have to take you out in my car so that you can see me drive!” She told me smiling when warning signs went off in my head, I had seen her driving once before and I was still very much off put by the image of her car stalling 5 times before she had made it out of the restaurant car park.

“Maybe you should get used to driving your car first.” I suggested and she nodded while smiling before getting back to waiting on the tables. I chuckled at Amy as I saw her nearly trip over a chair in the restaurant as she walked away. Amy was a lovely girl who like me was a waitress while studying at college. Amy was a beautiful, bubbly and clumsy blonde with light brown eyes.

Halfway through my shift I walked over a table that just so happened to have Adam, James and some of their friends. “Hi, my names Izzy and I’ll be your waitress for the evening; have you decided on any drinks or would you like some more time to choose?” I asked, smiling at them all as Adam grinned at me with recognition.

“Izzy, I didn’t know that you worked here.” Adam says with a smile.

“Yeah, I haven’t been here for long - only a few weeks.” I told him and he nodded his head at me.

“Well, I think that we would just like some tap water for the table please.” Adam told me and I nodded, before jotting down their orders for their meals.

After a busy hour or so, my shift was ending as Adam and his table were leaving. Adam noticed me with coat on as I was walking towards the exit when he made his way over to me. “Hey, you heading home?” He asked me, his bright blue eyes studying me.

“Yea, you?” I replied, giving him a small smile.

“Yes, well - we’re going to go back to James’s place.” He told me and I nodded my head, unsure of what to say to him. “Look, uhm, I was wondering if you wanted to meet up at some point?”

I studied Adam’s face, trying to decipher what his intentions were but his face gave little away. “Are you asking me out on a date?” I asked him and his eyes gleamed as he cocked his head to the side.

“It can be whatever you want it to be.” Adam stated, confusing me all the more as I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I pushed, to which Adam let out a chuckle which was a beautiful sound, but not as entrancing and velvety as Harry’s my subconscious added.

“Whatever you want it to.” He replied to which I rolled my eyes - was he trying to confuse me on purpose? One of Adam’s friends yelled at Adam to hurry back, causing Adam to sigh and run a hand through his hair. “I’m sorry, look could I have your number and then we can sort out the details of our whatever-you-want-it-to-be.” Adam asked, smirking.

I eyed Adam cautiously as he handed me his phone, however I reluctantly added my number to his phone under the name of “Hottest Gal Going Iz”, smiling at him before handing his phone back to him.
“So I’ll see you around then.” I told him and he smiled at me, nodding, before rushing back to his other friends.

I smiled at his retreating figure, then turning and walking to my car and making my way home, my mind racing over our conversation. Did I want it to be a date between Adam and I? I knew that there was a fat chance that I was in-love with Harry, but a relationship between Harry and I was never going to happen realistically, so was it worth passing up an opportunity to be with a nice guy who I could have a future with? But then was it fair to Adam to start a relationship with him when I was in-love with someone else?

I had a choice to make.