Status: Will be slow in updates as am still in full time education but will try to update as regularly as possible

Better for You

Chapter 3

When Abby and I finally made it back home it was around 3 am, and I had classes the following morning. I was really starting to regret going to this party, more so meeting Harry. His character confused me, was he taken by Lucy? They clearly hook up quite a bit and are friends, but they're allowed to see other people? So I take it that they're in an open relationship or something...

Harry confused me; I found it so hard to figure him out. I can usually figure people out, for instance I knew that Lucy was going to be a bitch and that I'd like Andy; which I do, but Harry, I just don't know with him. He seems troubled, like there's a reason behind his actions, but I don't know. He was flirting with me, then about to sleep with Lucy but then tried to make moves on me... It doesn't add up; the only reason must be that he is a player.

I set my alarms on my iPhone, one for 7, and another for 7:10, 7:20 and another for 7:30. I have always done this, it tricks my body into thinking that it's getting extra sleep... I then got changed and tucked myself in bed at the same time as Abby, turning out the light as we wished each other a goodnight.

When my final alarm sounded, I groggily turned it off, and stretched hoping that it would wake me up a bit. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, and lazily grabbed my towel and clothes along with my toiletries before sluggishly walking down to the public bathrooms. Luckily I always get up early to leave me plenty of time to get ready and so I had plenty of time to shower, as well as without having to deal with a long cue.

I manage to shower within 15 minutes, having to rush myself when shaving my legs, but I was too paranoid that someone would walk in on me. Once I was finished I dried myself off and got changed into my turquoise frill top and purple jeans. I then walk back to my dorm room, with my hair wrapped up in my towel.

I then add a leather jacket to my outfit, with galaxy vans shoes and a few accessories including my watch, which I’ve worn every day to school ever since I got it without fail. I then put a few strands of my hair up and add light makeup to my eyes before deciding that I’m done. I look over at Abby who is fast asleep, she said that she didn’t have lessons until the afternoon which I was incredibly jealous of as I was running off of 4 hours sleep on my first day of school.

I then made my way to the starbucks which I had noticed on my way to the dorms. I ordered an americano coffee (which I would definitely by needing) and a blueberry muffin because I couldn’t survive without breakfast. Once I received my order I took it with me and sat down at a chair by the window.

I checked the time and it was 8:35 and so I didn’t have to leave for another 25 minutes and so I decided to check my twitter and Instagram. I noticed that I had gained 20 followers on my Instagram, mainly from people that I had met at the party, and I had also gained 33 followers on twitter. The majority were also people who I had met form the party, some spam accounts, but one that particularly caught my eye was @harry_s_ the profile picture was simply a middle finger which made me chuckle and I clicked on the account and I was sure that it was Harry’s. The name was ‘Harry Styles’ and so I guessed that his surname was Styles. I scrolled through the tweets and they were quite funny, being the similar kind to the ones that I send. He had 324 followers on twitter which was pretty impressive, but I was somehow beating him with 637.

I chewed on my lip and wrote a tweet,

@Izzy_Hartley96:

‘First day of college and I’m already sleep deprived... Coffee I love you.’

I smiled before tweeting this, for some reason wondering if Harry would see it. “Izzy?” A familiar voice asked and I looked up smiling, before embracing Andy in a hug. “Do you mind if I sit with you?” She asked.

“No, of course not!” I replied, waving her off with my hand. She smiled and sat down on the chair opposite me, sipping on her hot coffee and immediately removing it from her mouth.

“Hot?” I asked with raised eyebrows and she nodded.

“Yep, so tell me, what are you doing here so early?” Andy asked and I smiled, picking at part of my muffin and placing it in my mouth.

“Well, I wanted coffee so that I could survive the day, and I guess that I just hate being late; especially on my first day!” I replied and Andy’s expression looked to have understood exactly what I meant.

“Yeah, I forgot that it’s your first day! I’m exactly the same! So what are you studying?” She asked curiously.

“Law” I replied, blowing on my coffee then drinking it. The coffee was still ridiculously hot, burning like fire down my throat.

“No way?! Me too!! So are you in Mr Richards class then?” Andy asked her eyes wide with excitement.

“Yeah! I’ve got a lesson-“ I began, before Andy cut me off,

“at 9:30?” She answered and I giggled, nodding my head and clapping my hands which earned a few stares, but I honestly didn’t care, maybe this year wasn’t going to be so bad after all.

“Yeah, is Mr Richards nice then?” I asked and Andy bite her lip, shaking her from side to side as if saying ‘so, so’.

“Yeah, he’s alright, a bit of a boring teacher at times but a good one. Trust me, you’ll like him.” Andy promised and I grinned.

“So do you come here before school then?” I asked and she nodded enthusiastically.

“Yep, I’m a bit of a coffee addict…” She replied guiltily, smiling at me shyly and then taking a sip out of her coffee which had finally cooled down.

“Me too! I can’t function this early in the morning without it! And here I was thinking that I was the only one!” I stated, glad that I had met Andy and even more so that we were in the same classes. We were so alike, it was crazy, but it reassured me that maybe I’m not so ‘different’ as Harry put it.

After a while of talking, Andy handed me her number and we began making our way towards the campus. After a 15 minute walk, we walked into the classroom 5 minutes early. I began to walk towards the back of the classroom; however Andy grabbed my hand and dragged me to the front of the classroom. “You can thank me later when you see the people that sit there.” Andy explained and I raised my eyebrows at her, chuckling.

“The rebels?” I asked and she shook her head ‘no’.

“They’re not rebels, just asses.” She told me and I laughed lightly, and then took out my folder and pen. I opened my folder and began writing my name on the first sheet of paper. A couple of minutes later people began filling the vacant seats, and the Teacher walked in. I was about to stand up, like I was taught to back in England, however Andy tugged on my hand and I pretended that I was just shuffling in my seat.

“Thanks” I whispered to her, glad that she saved me the embarrassment of standing up. I’m surprised that they didn’t have this rule in America, but I take it that they’re not quite as old fashioned.

“Good morning class, I’m Mr Richards and I’ll be teaching you for the next semester. Most of you will know me from last semester, however those of you who weren’t here last semester and transferred into this class I want to set the expectations so that the year will run smoothly.” He began and I internally groaned. All of the teachers had the same expectations; show respect, don’t talk when the teacher or member of the class is talking, if you talk then it is to be about the subject, blah, blah blah. “Ah, Mr Styles, late as usual.” The teacher began as my eyes widened and looked to the door where, sure enough, Harry was standing confidently.

“Sorry Sir, got uh-held up.” He replied and began walking towards the back of the classroom and swung his bag over his desk and sat down.

“You can thank me later.” Andy whispered to me and I giggled.

“Actually Mr Styles, I would like you to sit at the front where I can keep an eye on you.” Mr Richards told Harry and my eyes widened, almost popping out of their sockets.

“But Sir!” Harry complained and Mr Richards shook his head, telling Harry that he wasn’t having it and Harry would have to sit at the front. Of course, luck would have it that the only spare seat at the front was next to me. Suddenly Mr Richards had become my least favourite teacher here. I glared at Andy, regarding her previous statement about ‘thanking her’, and she gave me a nervous smile under my death glare. “Don’t worry princess, I don’t want to be here next to you as much as you don’t want me here.” Harry whispered into my ear and once again a shuddered rolled down my spine.

“I highly doubt that.” I hissed back at him under my breath and he just rolled his eyes, taking out his phone and texting someone. Who was he to text in class? Did he not care at all about his education, well, probably not actually; but still. A few moments later Mr Richards came over and swiped the phone out of Harry’s hands and placing it on his desk.

“You can have that back at the end of the lesson Mr Styles.” Mr Richards told Harry and he groaned loudly while I just rolled my eyes at him, glad that the teacher could discipline his students, there’s nothing worse than having a pushover teacher.

“Ok, please can you now discuss in twos the different forms of law that you know.” Mr Richards instructed and I groaned, and then turned around to face Harry who had his head in his hands.

“Hangover?” I asked and Harry just moaned in reply.

“You have no idea; how aren’t you feeling grim?” He asked and I shrugged.

“I don’t drink” I answered and Harry’s head immediately flicked over to me and he chocked a bit on his saliva. “What?”

“How do you not drink? How old are you? 14?” He asked and I shook my head. Just because I don’t drink, it doesn’t mean that I’m childish, just that I don’t need to be highly intoxicated to have a good time.

“I just don’t drink, all it does is make you turn into a completely different person, making decisions that you wouldn’t make in your right mind and then leave you with a hangover. Now why would I want that?” I ask and Harry furrows his brows at me.

“What drinking does is remove the mask that you wear, and reveals who you really are. When you drink, that’s who you really are; you’re just yourself without any worries or stress, just you.” Harry answers, talking insanely deep for a boy like him.

“Ok, so any ideas? Miss Hartley?” The teacher asked, of course calling on us when we hadn’t been discussing law.

“Uhm,Totes law?” I replied, stuttering a bit as I chose the answer from the top of my head. The teacher nodded and smiled, before moving along and asking other people.

At the end of the lesson the teacher set the class some homework to read some texts and write up notes on them. I gathered my belongings and walked towards the door with Andy by my side. As we got to the door I was shoved hardly at my side by someone’s body, almost dropping all of my books on the floor.

I looked up and noticed Harry glaring at me, and I realized that it was him who pushed me. “Are you alright?” Andy asked, and I shrugged my shoulders, keeping my focus on Harry and his dagger glare.

“Yeah, just boys being stupid arrogant boys.” I huffed and began walking again at a quick pace, trying to escape Harry and his harsh gaze as quickly as I could.

“What did you say to him to make him that pissed?” Andy muttered and I looked over at her with raised eyebrows.

“I didn’t even say anything, we were just talking about drinking and why I don’t. Then we didn’t talk for the rest of the lesson, but as soon as I got to the door he does that; man is he giving mixed signals!” I ranted and Andy chuckles. “What?” I huff.

“No, it’s nothing. It’s funny seeing you getting all worked up over a guy like Harry, trust me, he isn’t worth your time. Besides you have Mike, don’t you?” Andy asked and I smiled as she brought up Mike. How I wished that he was here with me, to stick up for me when Harry shoved me.

“Yeah, I miss him so much!” I complained and Andy wrapped an arm around my shoulders, giving me a sideways hug while walking.

“I know it sucks, when will you see him again?” She asked and I sighed, knowing that it wasn’t for a few months. It had to be at least another month, because it was going to be my birthday in 5 weeks and 4 days, yes; I was counting down…

“I don’t know.” I whined, as we turned a corner. “Where’s your dorm?” I asked Andy, curious as to how far away she lives from my dorm.

“I’m only two floors above you!” Andy informed me and I smiled, knowing that I could easily just pop over to her dorm if I ever needed help with the class work or something.

After a long refreshing walk back to the dorms with Andy, we said goodbye with a hug and I walked into my dorm, noticing Abby lying on her bed fiddling with her phone. “Hey.” She grumbled, holding onto her head. I have no idea how much she drank last night, I lost count after her 5th cup and 3rd shot, and the look on her face was the main reason as to why I don’t drink.

“How’re you feeling?” I asked and she grumbled a reply that I couldn’t make out. I sat down on my bed, taking out my folder and began reading my texts and making notes. I watched as she took a swig from her water bottle, then placing it back on her bed-side table and returned to texting.

I was halfway through my second paragraph when Abby mentioned, “I hear that the school player’s pretty mad at you!”

I groaned and looked up at her, shaking my head, “I don’t even know what I did wrong, we were just chatting and he suddenly turned on me at the end of the lesson and shoved me and started glaring at me!” I asked and Abby laughed, shaking her head.

“He just has issues with his anger.” Abby told me, and her voice changed from a jokey tone to a serious one. “Look, you didn’t hear this from me, but apparently he like gets into loads of fights. Apparently he gets drunk and ends up punching the shit out of guys.” Abby told me and my mouth opened in shock, I shouldn’t be surprised when you take his bad-ass persona into account, but hearing the words out loud was made it more real than a mere thought. “I don’t want you to think that I’m trying to control you or anything, but it wouldn’t exactly be a bad idea if you ignored him. You hear what I’m saying?”

“Loud and clear.” I answered, meaning what I had said. There was no way that I was going to get involved with Harry’s type. I was very happy with Mike, and wouldn’t screw that up for a boy like Harry.

“Ok, well I’m going to head out and get some lunch, you wanna come with?” Abby asked and I nodded my head, putting my half written notes away and taking out my bag, while slipping on my shoes.

Lunch had been fun; we had gone to a low key café that hardly anyone knew of. The food was really nice, and reasonably priced which was always a bonus. Abby then had to go off to her lesson and so I walked back by myself, planning on getting a car soon.

I had finished my essay by the time that Abby had gotten back I was just aimlessly watching YouTube videos. “Hey, there’s another party tonight at the frat house, you wanna come? Niall said that Zayn specifically mentioned to invite you too!” Abby asked with wide puppy dog eyes and a pouting face, probably already knowing my answer.

I wondered why Zayn mentioned inviting me specifically as well? He had met me once and I wasn’t exactly being the nicest of person to his friends, so why would he want me there?

“Sorry I have plans on skyping Mike tonight.” I told her, it was true, I knew Mike wasn’t doing anything tonight so I thought we could stay up and chat.

“Aww, you two sound too cute!” Abby cooed and began changing outfits for the party. After changing into 4 different outfits, she settled on a black tight tank top with a royal blue pencil skirt. She asked me to put her hair up while she put on some make-up. I just did a simple side French plait over the top of her head, and then she was looking stunning and ready to go.

“You look amazing!” I complimented her and she batted her eyelashes at me playfully.

“Thanks, all thanks to your talented hands!” She replied, pointing to her hair and I laughed, before shoving her out of the door playfully to go to the party.

Mike and I had been skyping for a good 4 hours and it was one in the morning and we were still deep in conversation. “How’s Abby?” He asked.

“She’s good, she’s actually out to a party but I didn’t really wanna go tonight.” I replied, beaming at my blonde hair, green eyed angel of a boyfriend.

“Oh, why didn’t you go?”

“Because I wanted to talk to you and besides, the parties are really boring!” I told him and he smiled at me.

“I have some news for you…” He began and I smiled at him, waiting for him to continue. “Well, I managed to get some time off of work and uni to go and see you the weekend before your birthday!” He grinned and my smile widened to the extent where it would have hurt if I wasn’t in such a good mood from the news.

“Really?! That’s amazing! I’ve missed you like crazy and it’s only been 4 days since I last saw you!” I stammered. I was really, really ecstatic that he could come over, and I could spend my birthday weekend him. A knock at the door pulled me out from the bubble that I shared with Mike and I got up to answer it. I pulled the door open, expecting to see either Abby or Andy, but as I opened the door to come face with the intruder I was surprised to find the beautiful green eyed monster from earlier today. “Harry, what are you doing here?” I grumbled, still painfully aware that Mike was still on the line and that this would not look good.