Status: Will be slow in updates as am still in full time education but will try to update as regularly as possible

Better for You

Chapter 30

The following morning, I was sitting in a relatively empty Starbucks, my piping hot vanilla latte was placed on the wooden coffee table in front of me. While waiting for Andy to show up, who was late as normal, I sat drumming my fingers against the arm rest on my chair as my phone vibrated repeatedly in my lap.

My mother had been trying to contact me for the past 15 minutes and I had let every one of her calls go to voicemail, feeling tempted to turn off my phone altogether. I was in no way ready to face the wrath of my mother quite yet. I knew that my mum would have a thousand and one things to say to me about how rude I had acted and how disappointed she was in who I had become and who I was dating. Somehow everything I did was my mother’s business and for her to intervene with, but I was tired of being a chess piece in her game.

Moments later the door swung open, a gush of bitter air rushing into the café as Andy’s petite figure entered the café. Andy walked towards me, hugging me tightly before going up to the barrista and placing her order which I had a feeling would be a pumpkin spiced latte as she had an almost unhealthy obsession with them.

After a couple of minutes Andy returned, with her drink in hand, and sat down in the seat across from me. “You look cute today!” Andy told me with a warm smile as she placed her drink on the coffee table in front of us. I furrowed my eyebrows at Andy, I was simply wearing jeans, a green cropped jumper
with white converse and my hair was tidied in a messy bun.

“I’m not sure that I agree, but thank you, I love you shoes.” I complimented Andy in response, pointing to her black booties which were very pretty. “How have you been?” I asked Andy as I picked up my latte and took a small sip from it with felt like fire on my tongue, causing me to cringe away from it and place it back down on the coffee table.

“I’ve been good, not up to much really. I did finally manage to hand in my notice at my job.” Andy answered and I raised my eyebrows in surprise, she had moaned to me multiple times about how much she hated and wanted to quit her job in retail but I never thought she would actually do just that.

“Oh really? Good for you, what bought that about?” I asked Andy, curious as to what would have bought about such action, especially as it seemed as though she didn’t have another job lined up.

“Um, well my boss had a massive go at me for not turning up to cover Gina’s shift when I made it very clear that I had a lecture and couldn’t come! Like he told me that I had a terrible work attitude and that I needed work on my manners and stuff in front of 2 other employees so I was like screw you and handed in my notice.” Andy explained to me and I opened my mouth in shock at her story, outraged at how Andy’s boss had treated her, Andy was a very dedicated worker and it was completely out of line for her boss to treat her like that.

“What an arsehole; that’s so out of order! I’m glad you quit – have you got another job lined up?” I probed, picking up my latte and taking another sip from it, thankfully it had cooled and had a less scalding touch as it ran down my throat.

“No, I think I might apply to a job in a restaurant or something, maybe even McDonald’s or something because the pay isn’t even that bad to be honest.” Andy told me, scratching her cheek before taking a sip from her latte.

“Fair enough.” I commented, watching Andy’s face as she rubbed her forehead with her hand. “Has anything else happened with Zayn?” I asked and Andy froze in her seat immediately, acting like a deer caught in headlights.

“Uhm…” Andy trailed off and my eyes widened; what wasn’t she telling me?

“Andy – what is it?”

“Well, I drank too much at the party on Saturday and Zayn looked so good and he was being so sweet and I,” Andy began, then pausing as her face cringed slightly, “I kind of, sort of kissed him.” Andy finished and my eyes blew wide open as I stared at my usually sensible and strong minded best friend.

“What?! Andy!” I exclaimed in shock.

“I know, I know. Zayn hurt me badly before and I shouldn’t be giving him the time of day and stuff but I mean you’ve seen him; it’s so hard to stay away from a face like that and he can be so sweet as well!” Andy defended her actions and I couldn’t help but notice the parallels between her relationship with Zayn and my relationship with Harry. “I know you probably think I’m stupid for it and I probably am but –” Andy ranted but I cut her off.

“It’s ok Andy, I understand.” I interrupted.

“No, you don’t understand it’s not -” Andy rushed and then paused as she processed what I said and suddenly a frown of confusion took over her face as her eyebrows scrunched together in the most adorable way. “What? You understand?”

“Yes Andy, I understand how it is to be in-love with someone like Zayn who almost has two polar opposite sides to him. It’s ok to feel feelings for Zayn, it’s not something you can help nor is it something you should apologise for.” I told Andy, leaning over and squeezing Andy’s hand as I said this and a look of relief washed over her face.

“You understand?” Andy repeated but relief echoed in her tone this time.

“Andy, have you not seen who I’m in a relationship with? It’s easy to make assumptions on that type of relationship from an outsider’s perspective but it’s a completely different thing when you’re actually in the relationship. And plus, at the end of the day, if Zayn makes and will continue to make you happy then that’s all that I could want for you.” I replied to Andy and a grateful grin took over her face as she nodded at what I was saying in agreement.

“Thank you, Izzy; that means more than you’ll ever know. Abby brilliant and I love her more than anything but she just doesn’t understand this like you do, she’s happily single but I just want to be with Zayn.” Andy explained and I faltered slightly as I sipped on my latte at the mention of Abby being single. “What?” Abby asked as she watched me with an alarmed expression.

I shook my head lightly in response, trying to think of an excuse to my reaction to avoid revealing Abby
and Niall’s secret relationship. “Oh no, it’s nothing but I get what you mean – is Abby not a fan of you and Zayn?” I asked her and she shook her head vehemently as she widened her eyes to emphasize her point.

“Oh god no, she could not be more against it if she tried! I mean, I know that she’s just worried about me and that Zayn will hurt me again, and I mean so am I, but I just want her to support me through this you know.” Andy explained and yet again I noticed the parallels between Andy and I’s relationships.

“Yes, you know she only wants the best for you and to be honest she was the same with me when I started seeing Harry but she warmed to the relationship after I spoke to her so I wouldn’t worry about her too much, she’s your friend first and foremost.” I added. “So do you know what’s going to happen with you and Zayn then? Have you agreed to meet up again?”

“We’ve been texting a bit and he asked if we could meet up at some point this week but I haven’t made up my mind about how I’m going to answer him yet.” Andy responded and I frowned in response. “I just don’t know if I should pursue a relationship with him, especially after how the last one ended; it broke me and I do not want to put myself through that again.” Andy expanded as she picked at her chipped burgundy nail varnish.

“That’s good that you’re putting thought into this Andy, don’t feel any pressure to answer in any particular way. You’ve just got to decide whether the relationship is worth the possible consequences.” I told Andy and she nodded at my words with a tight closed mouth smile.

“Anyway, enough about me, how are you?” Andy asked as she sipped from her drink.

“I’m good.” I answered as I squirmed in my seat and instead chose to distract myself by drinking from my smooth and sweet latte.

“And what about Harry?” Andy pushed with a knowing smile and I rolled my eyes at her blatant nosiness.

“Harry is good, though he met my mum the other day and that did not go down well at all.” I revealed to Andy and she raised her eyebrows at me.

“Oh no, what did he do?” Andy asked, surprising me at how she assumed that Harry was the one at fault in the situation.

“It wasn’t Harry, he was the perfect gentlemen through the whole meal despite my mother being outright rude to him. It was horrible, she was so disrespectful to him and our relationship that I was embarrassed of her to be honest. I know that sounds horrible but she was so out of line with Harry that I was embarrassed to show that part of me to Harry.” I explained to Andy, noting how Andy’s expression morphed into an expression of shock as she learned that it was in fact my mother and not Harry that was out of line.

“Oh yes, I completely understand what you mean. I can’t believe that your mother would be so disrespectful to Harry, she seemed lovely when I met her.” Andy admitted, reminding me of the awkward encounter where Andy and I met my mum when she was shopping in the mall. It had only been a brief encounter and the conversation was only small talk about the weather and our studies but it was still incredibly uncomfortable for me.

“Yes, she can just be very judgemental of people and their appearances and unfortunately Harry didn’t quite meet my mother’s standards of being a rich preppy guy.” I described to Andy, rolling my eyes as I did so.

“Yes, I guess that Harry is very different to Mike.” Andy commented and I couldn’t help the snort of laughter that erupted from me.

After a good hour or so of catching up with Andy, I drove back to my dorm room with Andy staying behind to study in the library. As I reached my dorm, I opened the door to find Abby lounging on her bed with a book open on her bed as she scrolled through her phone, clearly having given up on working.

“Hello stranger.” Abby greeted without even looking at me as I closed the door.

“Says you?” I retorted and Abby shrugged as she turned off her phone and rolled over to face me, getting up and sitting up on her bed as she watched my body walking towards my own bed. I then flopped onto my mattress, allowing its comfort to take the weight on my body and support me for a couple of seconds.

“You ok?” Abby asked me and I nodded my head, then sitting up and facing Abby.

“You need to tell the others about you and Niall.” I told Abby and she frowned at my reply.

“Why?”

“Because I’m a shit secret teller and I almost outed you to Andy today and so you need to tell them before I accidentally do. Plus, you guys are super stable and ready to do it, or at least I think you are.” I responded and I watched Abby nod her head slowly, listening to what I had to say.

“Ok.” Abby answered simply, catching me off guard.

“Don’t you need to discuss it with Niall?” I asked her and she scoffed in response.

“Please, that boy is wrapped around my finger.” Abby answered and I shook my head rolling my eyes at her.

“Just run it by him first.” I advised and Abby and she nodded her head reluctantly.

A calm silence took over the room as Abby and I both sat deep in thought, until Abby decided to speak.

“So, what happened with you and Harry anyway?” Abby asked and I scrunched up my nose as I thought of a way to sum up everything that had happened between Harry and I on Saturday night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Izzy's outfit: https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=235029768