Serendipity

When You Call Me I Become Your Flower As If We Were Waiting

Image


A week had passed without Brennan even realizing it. She had been far too preoccupied enjoying the school days to realize, after the previous weekend, five of them had come and gone in a moment's notice.

What awoke her the following Saturday morning was her cell phone's ringtone going off on the nightstand beside her bed. At first she thought it to be part of her dream – a rather noisy part of it, and brushed it off as nothing more. It wasn't till it persisted and seemed to draw her out of her slumber did she realize it was in fact an actual call that was coming through.

With eyes half open and her vision still blurred from sleep, her hand felt around for the mobile device before securing it in her loose grasp. Her finger slid across the screen where the green button lay and she placed the cell on the side of her head, letting it reside there as her arm fell back to the bed.

“Hello...?” What didn't greet her was a response, but rather a resounding bellow of a laugh, and she soon perked up a bit more when she could immediately identify who the laughter belonged to. “Jake?”

You must be really tired to still be sleeping,” he mused through a chuckle.

Her brow furrowed in bewilderment, the girl taking the phone from her ear to check the time before putting it back in its place. “Jake, it's barely going to be twelve on a Saturday. You're weirder for actually being up before noon,” she retorted bitterly.

You're lucky you're on the other end of the phone, Brennan. No one calls me 'weird'.”

“Everyone calls you weird. Just not to your face.”

Jacob's laughter once again came through the speaker, a soft smile playing Brennan's lips. “Whatever you say, Bren. Anyways, I'm calling you for a reason, not to be your wake up call.

“Oh? And what's this reason?”

You wanna go out?” Any last trace of sleep seemed to vanish from her being, her eyes widening at his proposition. “Sam and Emily are having a get together to watch the game this afternoon. You couldn't make it last week, so... how about this one?

A bit of disappointment resided in the pit of her belly, and she hated how she had jumped to a conclusion like that. Part of her hated that she was even hoping for that at all with how recently she had just met the guy. Since when was she this boy crazy?

Uh... Brennan, you still there?

Brennan realized that while she was going back and forth with herself she hadn't even replied to his question, and she felt like a fool because of it. “Uh, yeah...” she answered, rolling her eyes at how incoherent she must have sounded.

There was a soft chuckle on the other end. “So did you want to come over? It'll be fun, I promise.

Her thoughts traveled to her father for a split second, considering his presence — or lack thereof — before giving her answer. “Sure, I'll go.”

Great! I'll pick you up in say... two hours? I've gotta finish some stuff up at home. Besides, Em doesn't start making the food till around three or so.

“Sounds good, I'll start getting ready.”

Already? It takes you two hours?

“I like to take my time,” she pointed out. “I'll see you soon, 'kay?”

The pair hung up the phone and true to her word, Brennan slowly rolled off her bed, stumbling around for a second while she got used to her legs. Straightening herself up, she walked out of her room and to the bathroom, taking a shower to freshen up and make sure all the previous exhaustion was gone.

Returning to her room in nothing but a towel, she walked towards her closet and surveyed her options, her hands touching everything in there before settling on an outfit – white skinny jeans, a knitted, peach long-sleeve crop top, a pair of dark brown heeled booties, and a few accessories to finish it off. Once she was dressed, she did her make up – deciding on only some liner, mascara, and lip gloss, and then dried and gave her hair a quick brushing.

As she set down the brush, the sound of a car horn came through the walls, and she walked towards the window to see Jacob's familiar Rabbit parked along the side of the road. Brennan grabbed a small white purse to hold her things in and immediately made her way towards the door.

As she walked through the home towards the front door, she looked around and was reassured by not seeing her father, Andrew, anywhere. The two's relationship was tumultuous and far from anything she ever thought it would be.

Lately they had been avoiding the other, her more so than him. The thought of seeing him made her anxious, but the thought of seeing him in a drunken rage left her feeling panic-stricken. She couldn't believe she was terrified of her own father...

The door closed behind her and she made sure to lock it securely before turning around and dashing towards the car. She could see Jacob sporting a goofy grin and that brought one of her own upon her features. His longs arms reached across the car and opened up the door, the brunette smoothly sliding inside and beginning to fasten herself in.

“Good morning, sleeping beauty,” he cheekily teased. “Are you ready?”

“Shut up, Jake,” she laughed. “But yeah, let's go.”

Without another word, he put the car in drive and lifted his foot off the brake, switching over to the pedal, the vehicle rolling forward with urgency. As they made their way onto the main road, Brennan turned towards the boy before her.

“So, Sam and Emily – who are they exactly?”

“Friends,” Jacob started, “but... they're also more than that in a way.”

“How?”

“Well, I guess you could say that, because they're older than us by a few years, they're kinda like our second family or a home away from home. To be honest, Emily's kinda like our mom more than anything – she cooks and takes care of us, although Sam hates the thought of it.” Jacob explained through a chuckle.

Brennan nodded her head in understanding. “Sam doesn't like it because he doesn't want to share her?”

“Pretty much,” he laughed. “She's his world.”

The rest of the ride was spent talking and making idle chit chat, the pair soon turning down a dirt road that led to a clearing with a lone cabin in the middle. As they got off the car, Brennan took notice of a few figures upon the front porch.

The two that she remembered as Quil and Embry were both standing towards the side of the front door, leaning upon the wooden railing, talking and watching as she and Jacob strolled over. The other person she recognized was Kim, who was relaxing upon the porch steps, sitting in between the legs of a guy she didn't know yet.

“Brennan!” Kim greeted with a smile. “You came!”

Brennan walked over and Kim stood up, the pair embracing in a friendly hug. Over the past week, the girls had developed a strong bond and Brennan was glad she had found a girlfriend to confide in. “I didn't know you'd be here, Kim. I'm glad I'm not the only girl here in a sausage fest.” Brennan's comment seemed to stir up laughter from the boys around her.

“Sausage fest?” Embry howled. “Haven't heard that one before.”

Kim rolled her eyes, though a smile gave away her true feelings. “We were gonna head inside and watch the basketball game right now. Let's go.”

The group of teenagers headed inside the house, and Brennan noticed that the boys in the group almost came close to hitting the top of the door frame from their immense height. Inside the house felt like a comfortable home, and it made Brennan wish she could live in such an environment rather than the one she was in currently.

In her own home, there seemed to be a heavy air with tobacco and alcohol lingering about, the home was in a constant darkness, where the curtains were draped over the windows with the lighting fixtures giving minimal assistance, and it was nearly barren with the exception of the furniture in the dining and living rooms.

However, in Sam and Emily's house, the air was laced with the aroma of delicious home cooking, light flooded in from the windows, and on the walls hung pictures and décor that made the place their own. This was the most at-home she had felt since arriving in La Push.

As Brennan took in the home, the rest of the group walked past her towards the two sofas in the middle of the living room, tossing themselves upon the furniture and getting comfortable. Jacob, walked up behind her, his hand lingering on the small of her back, and he looked at her curiously.

“Everything okay?” He asked.

“Yeah,” she nodded, showing a small smile and letting him guide her towards the sofa with the rest of them.

Jacob sat down and she did the same beside him, sitting squished between him and Quil who was chatting animatedly with Embry. Jared, who Kim introduced as her boyfriend, was cuddled up next to his lover upon the couch, Jared flipping through the channels till he got to ESPN.

“Games just starting,” Jared mused. “Wizards against the Celtics.”

“Washington's been shit lately, my money's on Boston.” Quil pointed out.

“Yeah, but John Wall's been doing good, and Kyrie Irving's been slipping up.” Embry added.

The boys continued their discussion on the matter and Brennan turned to Jacob who already had his attention focused on her. Her heart fluttered a bit when she noticed and tried to hide her obviously endearing reaction.

“So we're watching the basketball game, huh?” She inquired.

“Yeah, we usually get together on Saturdays for the game. It's like... tradition, or something,” he answered.

A few pairs of feet could be heard coming down the stairs, and Brennan turned to the staircase. A young pair reached the bottom of it and it was a man and a woman. The man resembled Jacob in the way of his height and masculinity, his brow was furrowed together as he took in the sight of them all upon the couch. The woman beside him took his hand, and his brow seemed to return to its normal position, and the air surrounding them seemed to lighten.

The first thing Brennan noticed about her was the scarring that marred her face, however, the scars didn't seem to make the woman before her any less appealing. Her bright brown eyes and dazzling smile were the things that really made this woman beautiful.

“Hey Sam, Emily,” Jacob greeted.

“Hey guys,” the woman, Emily, returned, soon taking notice of the new girl sitting upon her sofa. “Oh? We've got company, Sam.”

The man turned to Brennan and nodded in acknowledgment, “Hello,” he greeted simply.

Emily smiled to herself and rolled her eyes playfully at his greeting. “Don't mind him, he means well,” she laughed. “Nice to meet you, I'm Emily and he's Sam.”

Brennan smiled and stood up to meet her. “My name's Brennan, nice to meet you, too.”

As Brennan went to extend her arm for a handshake, Emily seemed to beat her to it and grabbed the girl by the wrist. She softly yanked the girl closer and enveloped her in a friendly hug, Brennan being taken by surprise, but quickly adjusting and reciprocating the action.

As they pulled away, Emily smiled at her and laughed. “Sorry, we're all really friendly around here.”

“You don't have to apologize,” she replied. “Thanks for the warm welcome.”

“Everyone's always welcome here – no matter what. You remember that.”

“Noted,” she laughed.

“Good. Go ahead and sit down, get comfy! I was just about to start making dinner and it should all be done soon.”

Emily seemed to guide her back to the couch before turning her attention to Sam and ushering him to his own seat on a recliner. The young woman then hummed her way out of the living room and into the kitchen next door, where she could be spotted through the door frame going about her cooking with a natural talent.

As Brennan sunk into the sofa, she seemed to gravitate almost instinctively towards Jacob, the boy trying to contain his delight at the simple touch of her frame besides his. The game kicked off and the boys' attention was captured by the sport and the girls dabbled in it as they occasionally chatted with the other during the plays.

As the game progressed, halftime came and Brennan turned her head towards the kitchen. She had never really been too into sports, and found herself wanting to help after catching a whiff of what was being made by Emily.

She began to slowly sit upright, finally realizing that sometime during the game that Jacob had snuck his arm around her shoulders, and blushed as she slipped out from it, Jacob smiling sheepishly at her.

“Sorry, Bren, I got comfy,” he muttered out a quick apology.

“You weren't the only one,” she admitted.

After rising to her feet, she strode into the adjacent room and noticed Emily hovering over the stove, mixing something in a pot and adding a bit of salt ever so carefully.

“It smells great, Em,” she announced, catching the homemaker's attention.

“Thanks,” she beamed. “I'm making some chili for the hot dogs. Sam is going to cook them outside in bit on the grill when it gets to the last quarter of the game. Did you want to get something for the drink or maybe some chips?”

“Nah, I wanted to help. Can I?”

“I'd love some help!” She turned down the heat on the stove to a low simmer and walked across the kitchen, rummaging through the fridge and pulling out what was needed. “Are you alright with cutting up some tomatoes and lettuce? We're also having burgers and I love freshly cut toppings.”

“You got it,” Brennan nodded, taking the items from her hand and placing them onto the counter-top.

Emily pulled out a cutting board and a knife, handing them over to the girl with care and let her have at it. Soon Kim joined in, mentioning that it was getting too rowdy with just the boys being in the living room, and began to help out by following one of Emily's recipes for potato salad.

“So, Em,” Brennan began, “how long have you and Sam been together?”

A smile graced her features at the mention of her beloved before she responded, “I've been with him about three years now, and were just recently married this past summer. I'd say that still makes us newlyweds, right?”

“Definitely!”

“You should have seen it, Brennan,” gushed Kim. “It was so cute, they married right outside in the backyard by the tree line of the forest. Sam actually looked up instructions online and made them a wedding arch since Emily always wanted to get married underneath one. It was hilarious to see all the guys trying to set it upright though, I swear you'd think it'd make things easier, but they can't do anything together! They nearly ended up breaking the damn thing and Sam was pissed!”

The three girls laughed unanimously, Kim grabbing her sides while Brennan tried to imagine the ridiculous scene that had to have played out. Knowing the personalities of the guys, it must have definitely been one for the books.

As she began to calm down, Brennan wiped her eyes that had begun to accumulate tears gently, “Well, it might be late, but congratulations on getting married, Em. You and Sam make a good couple.”

“Thank you, Brennan,” Emily blushed.

“How did you and Sam come to know the guys? It seems like you've known them for a while and Jacob said you guys were like family.”

She nodded in understanding, soon explaining, “Well, first off, La Push definitely isn't your bustling city. I guess it's a bit cliché, but since it's small, pretty much everyone knows everyone – or at least I'd say that probably goes for the majority.”

“Plus we all know each other from when we get together to hear the stories,” Kim pointed out.

“That's right,” Emily nodded. “Sam knows the guys from growing up and hearing about the stories from the tribe's ancestors. Jacob's father, Billie, is knowledgeable on it, in fact, his ancestors used to be the leaders of the Quileute tribe. That's how the guys know each other, and I got to know them through Sam.”

“I wouldn't have guessed that Jacob was related to the tribe leaders,” Brennan admitted. “He's too big a goof.” Emily and Kim laughed together and then it was their turn to ask some questions.

“So Bren,” Kim started, “how did you end up here on the reservation anyways? You mentioned before that you came from Seattle, but we've never really asked you why you moved.”

The smile that had resided upon Brennan's features during their conversation slowly began to fall till it was gone, her eyes lowering towards the floor at the reminder of how she had ended up in La Push in the first place. The immediate change in her demeanor was felt by them both, and Emily and Kim looked to one another in concern.

“You alright, Brennan?” Emily asked softly.

“Yeah,” she sighed out. “I ended up moving here to live with my father after my mom died.”

Emily and Kim looked at each other in worry, Kim's face contorting itself into one of guilt for having brought up a difficult subject.

“I'm sorry, Brennan,” Kim whispered softly.

“Sorry to bring up bad memories, Brennan,” Emily added. “If you ever want to talk about anything, just say the word.”

“Thanks, Em, Kim.”

“Things are going to get better, Brennan. I promise.”

Emily walked over to her and gave her a soothing hug – one she hadn't had in a long time, one that reminded her of the ones her mom used to give, one that she really needed for a while. After losing her mom, she had gotten many condolences, many apologies and looks of pity. She had yet to receive something sincere like a hug, and for a moment she thought she might finally allow herself to cry and mourn her loss for the first time since everything happened, but a voice rung out in the kitchen and seemed to reassure her.

“Everything alright, girls?”

They pulled away from each other and Jacob came into Brennan's view, and she couldn't help but smile and nod seeing him there. It was odd, but he seemed to radiate a sort of encouragement that made her think things were really alright.

“I think we're good. Right, Brennan?” Emily inquired.

She nodded and smiled at Jacob, “Yeah, we're good.”

“Great,” he seemed to give a sigh of relief. “You need any help, Em? It's the third quarter and it looks like the Celtics are about to get the win.”

“Hm... if you could just start setting up the table outside? Oh! And tell Sam to start the grill out back and I'll bring him the hot dogs and burger patties.”

“Gotcha, I'll tell Sam first.” He then retreated into the living room to let Sam know.

Brennan turned to Emily and smiled softly. “Thanks for that, Em. And I think you're right, things are definitely looking up already.”

Image


“Bren, wake up,” a warmth seeped through the skin surrounding her temple, the feeling of hair being brushed away delicately from her face.

Her face scrunched up and she mentally tried to banish the calls of whoever was trying to get her up. “Mmm, no...” she grunted.

Jacob smiled and laughed, shaking his head at how she was so sleepy. He took a moment to himself to gaze at her for just a few seconds longer, her black bangs hung on the sides of her face after having moved them out of the way of her closed eyes. He could just imagine the rich pools of copper that lay beneath her lids, and how they would glisten when she laughed. Her lips were full and filled with a bit of color, her cheeks just as rosy as they were. She was the epitome of perfection, and the meaning in his life, and all he wanted to do was to make sure she was happy.

Nevertheless, once done admiring her natural beauty, he grasped her shoulder lightly and shook her with care to not be too rough. “Bren, we're at your house now, wake up.”

“I don't wanna go home,” she murmured.

“Neither do I,” he sighed truthfully, “but you're sleeping in my car and you need to sleep in your bed.”

A few more tries and the brunette stirred awake, her groggy self bringing a goofy grin to Jacob's features. It was endearing to watch her come to and slowly remember what happened.

She had knocked out almost immediately after getting into Jacob's Rabbit. Their afternoon spent with friends had been the most fun she had in a long while, and coupled with the home-cooked food from Emily (which most definitely lived up to the hype from the boys) she was content and tired from the day's activities.

“I don't even remember falling asleep,” she admitted, her hands rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

“Not surprised by how fast you knocked out,” Jacob answered. “I'm glad you got some rest though.”

“Sorry, I didn't mean to,” she sheepishly grinned.

“Don't be, hanging with the guys takes a lot out of someone,” he joked.

“Thanks for the ride.”

Brennan's hand went for the door handle and as it opened, she rose to her feet with a bit of a struggle, not quite finding strength in her legs yet. Jacob hopped out of the car and was at her side soon enough, taking hold of her hand as he looked at her questionably.

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah,” she chuckled. “Just sleepwalking.”

The two made their way towards the front door, and upon reaching it, Brennan got out her house keys and unlocked it. Hearing the click of the mechanism slide back into place was like a final toll announcing their time together had come to an end.

“Thanks for today, Jacob. I had a lot of fun being with everyone and I think... I think I really needed to get out today and just relax.”

“I'll be inviting you over more often then,” he replied, “but if you ever want to come over, the door's always open – invitation or not.”

“You're a really good friend, Jake.”

He smiled and subconsciously began to lean inwards, his voice seeming to come out in a low hum that made her heart seemed to shake inside her chest. “You're more than a friend to us, Bren.”

She could feel the blood begin to spread into her cheeks, her heartstrings thrumming away erratically as she became enamored. As her mind let go of the reins, her heart stepped up and took control. As if done by second nature, she enveloped the large boy in her grasp, hugging him and feeling as if she were sinking into his being, the smell of him and the heat of his body seemed to encompass her in return.

“Thank you, Jake.”

His hands wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer before allowing one to stray away and rest upon the back of her head, running his fingers through her silky tresses and cradle her.

“Anytime, Brennan.”

They both pulled away, much to their displeasure, and gave each other a smile. Brennan headed in without another word, afraid that if she started talking she might never leave, and Jacob returned to his car, sliding in and replaying what had just transpired.

Brennan stood behind the front door, her heart racing and cheeks still aflame. She was out of her mind, how was she so captivated by Jacob after only a week? She still was getting to know him, but there was a part in the back of her mind that was screaming that she already knew all she needed to. And if the way her body was reacting was any indication, she knew that to be true.

This friendship between them had only started, had only just been planted as a seed. Yet now, it was already blooming, blossoming into a beautiful thing that she wasn't sure she was ready for, but already knew that she wanted.

This friendship was blossoming into something more.

She knew that she would become his flower.

And she was blooming till she ached.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment, rec, and subscribe!