Serendipity

The Universe Has Moved for Us

Image


As it became the third day in a row, Brennan began to wonder about Andrew's absence. Just where had he gone to and for what? More importantly, why was she concerning herself with his disappearance?

Previous to his vanishing, Andrew had become malicious towards her. Brennan especially made it a point to stay out of his line of sight when he was in a drunken stupor, wobbling about the house with an empty liquor bottle gripped in his hand; it was better that than her. While he had never beat her, when his mind was fogged in a haze of alcohol, he wasn't disinclined to putting his hands on her – the girl who was the near replica of the woman who ruined his life.

He had taken to ruthlessly shoving her around the house, that being the only thing he could manage to do as the liquor would drain his motor skills and stability, but it was enough to procure the girl some bruising on her body from the objects she would run into.

Was it wrong of her to be so relieved that her father hadn't been home in a few days? Should she have been more concerned about his whereabouts? They may not have been “close” in any sense of the word, nevertheless she was still his daughter – no matter how much she wished she wasn't.

She winced as her hands trailed over her naked hips, her fingers having brushed past a bruise that was still relatively fresh from her banging into the kitchen table.

No, she wasn't going to be concerned – she was going to enjoy the time she had without him.

Stepping out of her shower, she wrapped herself in a fluffy towel and walked towards her room, changing into some plain clothes and flopping atop her mattress. It was a lazy Saturday afternoon, and she couldn't think of a better way to spend it than lazing around.

Brennan closed her eyes, her breathing beginning to steady as her mind sank into darkness. As sleep almost overcame her, her phone rang, her face scrunching up in annoyance as her hand went to collect the device.

She answered without noting the caller's name, “Hello?”

Why is it that I always catch you when you're sleeping?” Jacob's voice held nothing but amusement in it.

Annoyance gone. “I was almost asleep,” she responded. “What's up, Jake?”

It's getting close to Christmas and I wanted to get my sister and dad a present. Wanna go to Port Angeles with me?

Christmas? She tore the phone away from her ear, quickly checking the calendar on the electronic before realizing he was right – it was only five days away now. Time was flying by faster than she realized. What was she going to get her mo—?

I can't get her anything... she remembered, her mood darkening.

Bren, you wanna go?

“Uh...” her voice trailed off. Remembering her mother made her miserable, and she suddenly felt the energy leave her being. However, she knew that simply being with Jacob would be enough to rectify these bitter feelings of hers. Deep inside, she knew she couldn't allow herself to mope around now. “What time will you be here?”

Give me five minutes.

“You're that close?”

I was already on my way over,” he laughed. “See you in a few.

Brennan didn't waste time in getting up to put on different clothes. It wasn't that her clothes weren't appropriate to meet Jacob in – they just weren't appropriate for the blanket of snow that was draped across the La Push reservation. After layering up and slipping on some boots, she heard the punctual drone of Jacob's car horn, the girl darting down the stairs as she threw on a coat.

As she slid into the Rabbit and was pulled into a hug by the boy, she knew she had made the right decision.

Image


As her fingertips brushed through his fur, she could feel the hum of satisfaction emanating from the animal's body, her heart melting at the sound. She never wanted to stop petting him, never wanted to let him go.

Jacob watched the pair adoringly, though also somewhat jealously. He had to snap himself out of it before realizing a kitten was getting the best of him.

“You really like cats, huh?” He asked.

“Yeah, I always wanted one, but mom was allergic – couldn't keep 'em.” Brennan answered, cuddling the creature carefully.

Jacob looked around at their surroundings. They had been relaxing in this pet shop for the past ten minutes so Brennan could play with the kittens, not that he minded – seeing her look of happiness was well worth the visit.

He also supposed it was a nice place to relax on their outing. After they had done his shopping, they had caught a movie and went to a local diner for a bite to eat. After this, who knows where they'd go, but as the sun had already set, Jacob knew they wouldn't be there much longer. Port Angeles might always be their “go-to” place to hang, but it didn't mean it was any less of a drive.

Brennan kissed the top of the kitten's head, petting him once more before putting him into a secure pen that housed a few others, her heart breaking at the sight of them. Jacob held her hand and squeezed it noticing her change in demeanor.

“I'm sure they'll find homes, Bren.”

“Yeah, but it's still sad,” she mumbled.

They walked out of the store and an icy breeze gave them a warm welcome, much to Brennan's dismay. Jacob could see the chill seep into her bones as she shuddered, his arm then snaking around her shoulders and pulling her into him, his natural (or rather unnatural) body heat combating the cold on her behalf.

Without hesitation, she leaned further in, sighing, “Thank god you're a portable heater.”

Jacob chuckled and held her tighter, the two beginning to walk down the sidewalk with no real place in mind. It wasn't till they were passing through a small park did something catch the brunette's eyes – an ice rink located in the nearby quad for the holidays.

“Hey, Jake,” she pointed towards the ice, “you ever been?”

“Nah,” his ears reddened slightly in embarrassment, “I doubt I'd be graceful enough for it.”

“Let's do it then! You have to try it at least once, Jake.” Brennan giggled, attempting to drag him towards the miniature arena.

He let himself get pulled over; even if he really didn't want to try – he would for her. Jacob paid for the two of them to rent skates, and they walked over to the few benches placed for their convenience. Brennan strapped her shoes on with ease and walked over towards the door to the rink, her balance never wavering as she took a step onto the ice and waited patiently for Jacob to join her.

It took her all her will to not laugh at how awkwardly Jacob's large build was shuffling towards her, his ankles trembling and knuckles white as they grabbed onto the railing for a false sense of support.

Jacob took a step onto the ice, his foot sliding forward and the boy falling onto his bottom with a hard thud. Brennan wasn't sure, but she might have heard the ice beneath crack a bit...

She immediately helped the giant back to his feat, his legs stiff as he tried not to have a repeat of what had just transpired.

“You good, Jake?”

“Uh, yeah,” he muttered, he could feel his ears warming up again.

Brennan smiled and grabbed his hands, gliding to a stop right in front of him. “Jake, look at me,” she instructed. “Don't look at the ice, just look at me.”

He nodded – that was simple enough. “Now what?”

“Relax your legs, but don't lock or bend them too much. Make sure you keep your back straight.”

“Okay.”

“Now...” she pushed off, pulling him along with her.

“Now....?” He didn't seem to realize they were moving together.

“You're moving.”

He looked away from her for a second, seeing that she was right, and then quickly returning his gaze to meet her own. “Wow...” he breathed, “you're a good teacher.”

She shook her head, shying away from the compliment. “It's not so bad, right?”

“No, it is,” Jake bluntly answered, Brennan's smile faltering a bit, “but you make it bearable.”

The pair laughed and Brennan soon was standing by his side, rather than in the lead. Occasionally Jacob's feet would slide, but they were both able to catch him and restore his balance before he fell again. A few more minutes passed by before Jacob finally felt comfortable on the rink, soon taking Brennan by surprise as he pushed forward and was the one to lead them.

As time passed, they inched their way further into the middle of the rink, taking their time as Jacob continued to grow more confident in his ability to stabilize himself.

Jacob's hand broke away from hers and he slid over into the middle of the ice. As Brennan turned to face him, she could have swore that time came to a standstill – that it was just the two of them there together. As corny as she realized it was, there was nothing else but them.

“Brennan,” Jacob called out her name, extending out his arms for her to come to.

She didn't hesitate. Her skates carried her towards him, and as she collided with his body, her hands gripped his shirt and her neck stretched up, her lips planting themselves onto his. Jacob didn't miss a beat in response, wrapping his arms around her waist and holding her tight against his body, the two of them becoming one in that moment.

Brennan pulled away first, warmth seeping into her cheeks when she realized what she had done – not that she regretted it in the least, and Jacob's fingertips brushing against her rosy, wet lips.

“Brennan,” he whispered, “there's something I've been meaning to ask you.”

“Yeah, Jake?”

As he began to talk, her eyes flitted over his shoulder for a split second, her copper irises darkening at the figure they landed upon. Andrew was walking towards the ice rink – hands stuffed in his pockets, eyes locked upon the pavement, and eyes as bloodshot as they normally were at home – and there was no doubt in Brennan's mind that all hell would break loose should he happen to notice the pair of teenagers in their own world.

She wished she didn't have to, but she did it anyways. “Jake,” she interrupted, “can we get out of here – please?”

Jacob noticed the urgency laced in her voice, and he didn't delay in taking her wrist and guiding her from the rink. To say he was curious about what had brought about this change in her was an understatement, but he figured that getting her someplace where she felt safe was the priority and that his questions could come second.

They wasted no time in discarding their skates and replacing them with their original boots, practically shoving them back at the person behind the rental counter before Brennan and Jacob headed in the opposite direction of her father. As they got out of sight, Brennan breathed a sigh of relief, her heart coming down from what felt like her throat and her stomach settling.

“Brennan, what happened back there? Are you alright?” Jacob calmly asked, not wanting to kick up her nerves again.

She nodded her head, knowing she was going to have to explain that whole spectacle. However, how much she was going to explain was up to her. “Um, I saw my dad and he's not exactly fond of the idea of me being with a guy.”

Jacob nodded in understanding – that was fair. If he had a daughter, there was no way he'd want some punk hanging around her. Knowing this, he now wanted to do things right.

“I'm sorry, Jake. What were you going to ask me before?”

He smiled and took one of her hands, his thumb running over the back of it as he answered, “I was going to ask... if you wanted to be my girlfriend.” Brennan's breath seemed to hitch in her throat, her heart pulsating with excitement at the thought of being Jacob's. “But if you say your dad doesn't like the idea of me being around you, I wanna wait. I want to do right by him, prove that I'm good for you.”

She wasn't sure if she should be happy he cared that much for her, or upset that he cared when it was probably best that he didn't.

“Yes, I want to be your girlfriend, Jake.”

He kissed her forehead delicately, “Thanks, Bren. I'll prove to your dad that he should approve of me soon.”

“No, you don't have to.” She insisted. “My dad's... stubborn. Don't worry about it. It's okay if he doesn't know – trust me.”

“But, Bren—”

“Jacob,” her voice was firm. “Please, trust me on this one. It's okay. We're okay. We'll be fine together. We don't have to worry about him or anyone else.”

It took Jacob a second, but he gave a sigh before conceding to her. “Alright, but later we'll tell him. I don't want him to get upset with us.”

Brennan could deal with that. “Fine,” she gave his lips a quick peck and tugged on his hand. “Let's go home now, yeah?”

“Yeah, let's go.”

As the couple made their way through Port Angeles, hand in hand and hearts intertwined, they could feel it – the universe had moved for them without missing a single thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment, recommend, and subscribe!