Serendipity

You're My Penicillen

Image


He was almost frantic as he rushed towards his next class, pleading with the universe to allow them to reunite with each other, wanting only to see her in the flesh. Please, please, please, be there, Bren...

As he ran into Mr. Murphy's – the only class they shared, the air left his lungs in the form of a heavy sigh. Yet again, Brennan was absent, her seat left empty and alone as his peers conversed with one another as if everything were normal.

His shoulders slumped at the sight, his legs sluggishly carrying him over towards his desk, a few rows away from hers. His large form sunk into the plastic chair, and his head made contact with the desk as it appeared he no longer had the strength to even sit upright, his hallow eyes gazing at Brennan's desk with a wistful gleam within them.

The students of La Push High School had been back from break for a week already, yet there was only one that had not been present since the return from their Christmas vacation. It was beginning to get to Jacob – the students and teachers didn't care or even remember about the poor girl, but he was agonizing over the fact that she hadn't returned. It didn't sit right with him, and all that was running through his mind were bad thoughts that he never wanted to think about.

Where was she? What was she doing? Was he on her mind as much as she was on his?

As Murphy headed to the front of the classroom when the bell chimed, Jacob knew the rest of the day would be a long one...

Image


His soft pads barely grazed the dirt that flew by below him, his coated body slicing through the air as he sprinted, Quil and Embry right on his tail. The trio had been ordered by Sam to patrol right after school. Before winter break, a wandering leech had crossed onto the reservation, and while they had managed to chase it off their land, the damned creature seemed to have a bad habit of coming and going as it pleased. The vampire hadn't shown itself lately, but Sam insisted they could never be too careful when it came to the bloodsuckers.

You've been quiet today, Jake, Embry noted through their mental connection. Is it 'cause of Bren?

Of course it's because of Bren, man! Quil said matter-of-factly. She hasn't even come back from break yet. If I was in the same situation with Claire, I'd be freaking out, too.

Jacob didn't feel the need to reply when the answer was so obvious. So far in their patrol, he had done well by not thinking of her, but now that the subject had been broached, it was like his thoughts of her flooded his mind endlessly, and thinking of her only brought him nothing but worry.

Hey, man, don't worry too much, Embry consoled. I'm sure this is nothing. She's probably just fighting off a bad cold. Why don't you drop by her place after your shift?

I don't think that's the best, Jacob's brow furrowed. Her dad apparently isn't for his daughter seeing any guys. I don't want to piss him off or put her into a bad spot by revealing I'm her boyfriend or anything.

Then just say you're dropping off homework, Quil suggested.

But if he takes the homework for her, I won't get to see her, Jake pointed out. I want to see her – badly, but I don't want to get either of us in trouble with her dad. The last thing I want to do is give the guy a bad impression of me.

Yeah, I guess you're right. You don't wanna go pissing off the future in-law right off the bat, Embry laughed to himself.

Who's her dad anyways? Quil asked curiously. The reservation's so small we have to at least know his name, right?

Honestly, I don't know. I've never asked. They live right off of Forbes street in a red house.

There was a moment as Quil thought to himself. I think that house belongs to Andrew Wiltern. Does Brennan go by her mom's last name?

Pretty sure, yeah.

That makes sense. Embry chimed in.

Quil was quiet in an unnerving way, and both Jacob and Embry could tell that the boy was thinking about something in the back of his head. It didn't sit right with either of them.

What's on your mind, Quil? Jacob asked.

Quil's pace slowed, the boy soon coming to a slow jog before stopping altogether, Embry and Jacob doing the same and rejoining their friend who was a few paces behind them. Quil's large eyes gazed down at the ground, thinking hard about what he should say to Jake, or rather how to phrase it.

Quil, Jake pleaded.

The two friends look to one another and Quil seemed to sigh to himself before giving his explanation.

My mom doesn't know him, but she's heard some stuff, he started. Apparently he's kinda a loner, and not the friendliest guy around. He's got a temper and supposedly blew up on Sue Clearwater a while back, but for what, I don't know. I guess he's just... not the nicest guy.

As the information sunk in, he started to grow worried. He never wanted to imagine Brennan being around someone so... volatile, but the fact it was her own father left him conflicted – could her own father be that reproachful?

I need to see her, Jake determined. I'll go as soon as we're done patrolling.

It'll be real late by that time, Jake, Embry pointed out. It's already late now. You need to leave if you don't want to get held up.

I can't just leave you guys on patrol, Em. Sam would get furious.

Sam won't get pissy if he doesn't find out, Quil retorted. We're not going to tell him. Besides, we haven't caught a whiff of that leech's stench anywhere. I'd say we're in the clear. Right, Em?

Right. Besides, this is your imprint, Jake. Sam would do the same for Emily if it came down to it. Go make sure that everything's okay. We got your back, dude.

Guys, Jacob could feel himself growing more and more grateful for having befriended the two beside him. Thanks.

Don't go getting all mushy on us, Black, Embry pestered.

Yeah, man, get a move on, will you?

Jacob nodded, bidding them both farewell before breaking out in a mad dash towards his house. He would have headed straight to Brennan's, however, having shifted, he definitely needed a new change of clothes, not to mention the sight of a Kentucky Derby-sized wolf probably would not sit well with the locals...

Image


He killed the engine and hopped off his motorcycle, his skin warm but noticeably icy around his cheeks and nose from how fast he had rushed over on the bike. His feet carried him over towards the same window he visited before, no sign of life visible as the entire house was dark and quiet. The pit of his stomach sunk to the soles of his feet in anxiety.

Picking up a few pebbles, he pelted the glass, hoping she would answer and ease his mind with that smile of hers. More rocks hit the window before the light flickered on, his heart racing as he waited for her image to fill his line of sight.

His heart stopped when he finally saw her, his mind growing blank when he finally saw the girl he had been dying to see. Her eyes widened at the sight of him in return, the girl's fingers going towards the lock on the window and opening up his doorway. Like last time, he waved her back, and got ready to run up the wall, his body seemingly walking on air as he did so as he vaulted through the window.

He wasted no time taking her into his arms, burying his head into the crook of her neck and inhaling her familiar scent that seemed to calm him to his bones, his heartbeat steadying and breathing leveling.

“I've missed this,” he sighed out breathlessly. Before she could reply and express the same, he posed some questions, gripping her tighter. “Where have you been, Bren? It's been a week since school started and you haven't come back. Are you sick?”

Her heart twinged with guilt, knowing she couldn't give him the full truth. She'd been bedridden, yes, but not with a cold, but rather depression. Ever since New Year's when her father had exploded on her, she hadn't left her room unless she needed food or the bathroom. She didn't want to bump into him, she wanted nothing to do with him, and after having lost contact with Jake because of her shattered phone, she had started to feel lost and alone without him.

Having him here beside her was all she needed to feel like things were going to be alright again. “I know, and I've missed you, too, Jake. I got a really bad cold and it just took me a while to get over it, and since I haven't gotten my phone replaced I couldn't let you know about it.”

Jacob finally pulled away from their embrace and got a good look at her, his lips hardening into a firm line when he realized the state of her – it had to have been a real nasty sickness. The obvious weight-loss was disheartening, her cheeks were a bit gaunt and her clavicles seemed to protrude more than they should have. Her once caramel toned flesh was now a bit more translucent and pale, her body warmth also fading as she was cold to the touch. Her copper irises were darkened by what he thought was exhaustion, their usual gleam of vitality clouded and lackluster. His thumb traced over her lips briefly before he pecked them lightly with his own.

“Are you at least feeling better?”

“Now that you're here, yes,” she admitted somewhat bashfully.

“Good,” he grinned, going in for one more kiss.

As their lips connected, the door burst open unannounced with a bang, both teenagers jumping up in shock and pulling away, through Jacob seemed to pull the girl a little bit behind himself as a precautionary measure. Andrew Wiltern stood in the doorway, towering and swaying with his usual drunken air surrounding him, beer bottle in hand and resentment in his dark eyes.

“I thought I heard a damn commotion,” he mumbled under his breath.

“Sir, I'm sorry, I—” Jacob started to form an apology, trying to mend the situation before it got any worse.

“Who the fuck are you, boy?!” Andrew bellowed. “You better shut your damn mouth before I shut it for you,” his eyes snapped towards his daughter. “And you – what did I tell you? I don't want you whoring around and getting knocked up!”

Brennan couldn't believe what was happening. It was almost as if her world was shattering to pieces right before her very eyes, and there was nothing she could do but watch it unfold as her dad got into Jacob's face. However, that seemed to be the least of her problems as her dad then directed his attention towards her, grabbing her by the wrist and yanking her away from Jacob, who was now growing tense at how belligerent he was acting.

“Mr. Wiltern, please calm down!” Jacob yelled.

“'Calm down'? Calm down?” He shouted back. “Who the hell are you to tell me to 'calm down' when you sneak into my home?!” Brennan's heart stopped when the glass broke as her dad smashed it against her dresser, the intoxicated man waving it at Jacob aggressively. “You're gonna regret it, you fucking idiot!”

Andrew took a few shaky steps towards Jake, his arm swinging forward to injure him. However, Jacob was ready and dodged the strike, kicking the older man in his gut and sending him backwards into the wall. Although drunk, Andrew was still determined to beat the kid's ass, and so he got back on his feet, ready to go for another round.

Brennan couldn't stand it anymore, not wanting to imagine Jacob being hurt because of her father, and so as Andrew lunged forward, she did as well, jumping onto his back from behind and trying to stop him.

“Leave him alone!” She screamed, tears streaming down her face as she frantically wrapped her arms around his neck. “Don't hurt him!”

“Brennan!” Jacob hollered, his heart giving out as he watched Andrew maneuver the bottle in his grasp to face the other way, digging it into her side to get her off him.

The sight of her blood splaying across the hardwood floors caused his breath to hitch in his throat, tears spilling over as he heard her give a shrill cry of agony. As Andrew dug the bottle back into her body, his other hand reached behind his head and grabbed her by the hair, yanking her till she conceded and let go of him, the pain being too much for her to withstand.

“You bitch,” he seethed. “Get away!”

He sent her throttling out into the hallway, her legs buckling as they tried to support her weight, the wound she procured being too much for her to overcome. As she stumbled back, her foot hit the last stair, and gravity took her from there, her figure rolling down the stairs and out of Jacob's sight till he heard her land at the bottom with a dead thud.

“BRENNAN!”

His body trembled with an outrage he had never before experienced, his heart pounding in his chest as he could feel the bones within him ache with a knowing – there was no stopping this shifting.

Fur exploded from his body, his limbs growing and teeth sharpening as a snarl ripped through his throat. His hind legs propelled him forward with a fierce, deadly velocity that sent him and Andrew to the floor, Jacob treating the man like a rag doll as he got him by the shirt and shook him about. While he wanted nothing more than to end him, he knew better than to do so.

Jacob sent Andrew flying across the room, the man hitting his head upon the wall and knocking out cold, his body slumping and the bottle that was dripping with fresh blood rolling out of his hand and towards Jacob's feet.

Jacob whined before his body morphed back into his human self, his body bare and sore, but none of that mattered as he bounded out the room, practically leaping down the staircase to kneel beside Brennan's unconscious side.

“Brennan,” he cried, looking at her crumpled form and bleeding abdomen.

Think, Jacob! Think!

“Shit!” He screamed, bounding up the stairs and into her bedroom, grabbing his phone that had flown out of his pocket as he shifted as well as a towel she had previously discarded.

Bolting back down, he immediately applied pressure to the wound, not knowing what else to do, before making a call.

“Hello?”

“Sam,” Jacob's voice cracked through a sob, “Sam!”

“Jake? What's going on? What's wrong?”

“Sam, Brennan, she...” Jacob cried harder, not wanting to speak the words.

“Jake, take a deep breath. Tell me what's wrong so I can help you.”

A sob racked his chest a final time before he gathered himself. “Brennan's dad hurt her and it's bad, Sam. I lost it – I shifted – and he's out cold. I don't know what to do, Sam. What do I do?”

“Give me her address. I'll be right there.” He ordered. “Then call 911.”

Jacob did as he was told, giving him the street address before calling emergency services and giving them a short explanation and asking for an ambulance. The dispatcher calmed Jacob down further before letting him know people were on the way and ending the call.

Sam arrived minutes later, rushing into the house through the front door after having kicked it in, and made his way to Jacob. He tossed some clothes into his lap, ordering him to change before anyone showed up, and took over applying pressure while he did.

Not a moment too soon, the ambulance arrived with two squad cars on it's tail, Brennan being transferred onto the gurney and rolled into the van. As Jacob went to board the vehicle to remain with her, a hand stopped him, an officer looking at him curiously.

“Sorry, son, you're going to have to stay,” the officer explained. “As a witness, we need you to explain what happened and give a statement.”

“Is there any way it can wait?” Sam inquired on Jacob's behalf. “That's his girlfriend and he's really shaken up about this. Can he see her get to the hospital safe first?”

“Sorry, sir,” the policeman responded. “This takes precedence. He also wouldn't be able to stay with her as he's a minor and not related to her.”

Jacob looked longingly towards the ambulance, his heart aching as he saw the workers close the door and the van propel itself towards the nearest hospital, lights and sirens going off and growing softer as they faded into woods.

After what felt like eternity, the police finished taking their statement and wrote down their information, Andrew Wiltern being rolled out on another gurney after a second ambulance arrived.

“C'mon, Jake, let's head over to the hospital,” Sam sighed.

Jacob jogged over towards the car, passing by a woman who paid him no mind and instead approached the officers. As he opened up Sam's truck door, he went to get in but stopped halfway, his ears picking up a conversation that further sent him into a state of unease.

“Hello, officers. My name is Joanne Atkins, and I'm with Child Protective Services. Can you tell me which hospital Brennan Riley was taken to?”

“Forks General, ma'am.”

“Jacob,” Sam called. “Are you okay?”

“Sam...” Jacob whispered softly. “Child Protective Services is here. That man was all she had left. Where are they going to send Brennan?”

Sam went silent, not knowing the answer. Instead, he tried to change the subject. “Let's get over to Forks General, Jake.”

As Jacob got into the car, he held his head in his hands.

Was this the end of them?