Status: Work in progress, feedback extreamly welcome

Silver Screen Romance

Chapter 2

“Is that the bus?” Ashley questioned. They had been done with work for only an hour, and already they were rushing from home to the bus stop two blocks away.

Leigh glanced at her watch. “It’s only 7:20 we’ve still got 10 minutes.”

“Tell that to the bus.”

The girls began running down the sidewalk, trying not to bump into anyone in their rush.
“It’s Friday, that means it should be a good day.” Leigh protested.

“Less talking, more running.” Ashley huffed between breathes.

They reached the bus in record time, however they were gasping for breath when they did.
“No need to rush, I wasn’t gonna leave until you were on.” The bus driver gave a toothy grin.

“That would have been a nice thing to know before we ran half a block.” Leigh glared at the slightly graying African American bus driver as she swiped her bus card.

“Thanks for not leaving without us Tyrese.” Ashley gave a wink swiping her own card.

“Any time Sugar, now if only Spice could be as grateful.” He closed the door.

The girls collapsed in their reserved seat behind Tyrese, Leigh closest to the aisle.

“So how many more surprises you think were gonna run into today?” Leigh breathed.

“What’s a day without surprises?” Ashley reasoned.

“I mean we seem to be having more then usual.” Leigh observed.

“I blame our uninvited guests from last night.” Ashley said sitting up in the seat.

“Ah yes. They who must not be named.” Leigh nodded in agreement.

“Look on the bright side.” Ashley said reasonably. ”At least we wont be seeing them again unless it’s by our choice in the comfort of our home.”

“Yeah! After last night they wont be coming around Seymour’s anymore.” Leigh laughed remembering the looks on their faces when they discovered that she and Ashley had known who they were.

Ashley grinned beside her at the same thought, then turned to Leigh. “On another note, you think I can stare Mr. Kowalski down into no homework submission?”

“Ashley you know I have every faith in your ability to get us out of homework. You were always quite the pro in high school and your talent has not diminished by any means.” Leigh complimented.

“Why thank you.” Ashley nodded, then went about planning her physiological warfare against her sociology teacher.

As always, Ashley and Leigh were the first to their Ancient civilizations class. The others filtered in as eight o’ clock drew nearer with the girls leaning nonchalantly back in their seats. Mr. Lund entered the room at eight sharp as was his unbreakable schedule of being exactly on time.

“Alright class, today were continuing our look at imperial china. And don’t forget, finals are just around the corner.” He announced.

“Now the empire during this time-” He began flipping on the projector.

“Girls!” He feigned annoyance as his eyes fell on the giant X across the screen.

The students laughed at the appearance of the X. The girls had started the find the X game in the beginning of the year as an on going joke with Mr. Lund about how X always marks the spot.

“It simply astounds me that no matter what materials I choose to use, there is an X.” He stared at them over the top of his glasses.

“Because X always marks the spot Mr. Lund.” Leigh nodded.

Beside her Ashley was trying to hold in her laughter, he didn’t know the amount of X’s they had hidden through out the class room. The probability of him not to discover at least one through out the class period was to great to bother figuring out.

“Yes well I refuse to waste another class period arguing the two of you about how X never marks the spot.” Mr. Lund removed the X from the projector. “Now the empire during this time…”

“On the contrary pirates used X’s to mark where their treasure was buried.” Ashley announced, since it was Friday she would do her best to make sure no homework was assigned.

“That is an entirely fictional plot, born in the brain of one Robert Louis Stevenson the author of Treasure Island.”

“How else were they going to find their buried treasure? If not marking it with an X.” Leigh countered.

“The whole thing is mostly a myth. Why would a pirate hide their riches when they could spend them instead?” Mr. Lund flipped the projector off. “There are only two pirates who are believed to have hidden their treasure. Any one know who?”

“Captain Kidd, whose treasure is thought to be hidden in the money pit on Oak Island.”

“Very good Mr. Larson. Does anyone know who the second was?”

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all” Ashley recited “Blackbeard, the most blood thirsty pirate of all time.”

“Ah Blackbeard or his real name Edward Teach was a cunning and calculating leader. He used his fearsome image to obtain the response he desired from those he robbed, instead of using force.”

“Psychological warfare, I like his style.” Leigh smirked.

“Contrary to the modern-day image of the traditional pirate, he commanded his vessels with the permission of their crews, and there are no known accounts of his ever having harmed or murdered those he held captive.”

“In other words, the guy was all talk and no action.”

“Mr. Larson,” He eyed him over his glasses “I can assure you that words possess a greater power then any amount of action.”

“Yeah like how an F in this class is going to screw up your life.” Ashley teased.

“At least I don’t have to resort to flirting with the teacher.” Larson challenged.

“Alright you insufferable twit,” Mr. Lund snapped “Back to the topic. Blackbeard was romanticized after his death, and became the inspiration for a number of pirate-themed works of fiction.”

Ashley succeeded in her quest to make it out of Ancient Civilizations without homework. Mr. Lund had gotten caught up in discussing pirates that he lost track of the time, the bell rang before he could get himself back on track.

“Well done on the distraction,” Leigh clapped. “But I was more impressed that you got Larson in trouble.”

Ashley laughed. “That had nothing to do with me.”

“Sure it did,” Leigh nodded “So our normal spot until Sociology?”

With no answer, Ashley headed to the common area, Leigh following. Their particular common room was hardly used by the other students, thus making it the perfect place to hide out before class. Upon reaching their haven, they were unnerved to find a table occupied by four blond girls. The blonds took no notice as Leigh and Ashley walked pass and took position on the couch.

“So you know how my mom is like the best real estate agent in the entire city.” The blond in all pink stated.

“Stephanie, your mom is the best.” a second agreed enthusiastically.

“Thanks Amber. Anyways, she sold a house to some celebrities that will be living here while the movie is being made.”

“How cool, does she know what celebrities bought the house?”

“I’m glad you asked Megan. At the time she didn’t know, but last night she gets a phone call asking for the keys.”

“Oh wow.” Amber squeals.

“Hush, she hasn’t even told us who yet.” the blond who hadn’t said a word snapped.

“Tami, it doesn’t matter who it is.” Amber snapped back.

“It’s Jason Statham and Sam Worthington!” Stephanie shouted happily.

Stephanie’s announcement perked Ashley and Leigh’s interest. They looked at each other and leaned closer to the table full of blonds, to hear their conversation better.

“Have you seen them?” Megan questioned.

“No, my mom wouldn’t let me go. She said it was to unprofessional.” Stephanie complained.

“Harsh!” Amber agreed.

Soon after the table of blonds left the common area. “Think we should have said something?” Ashley questioned.

“Your kidding right?” Leigh asked “It would just cause drama.”

“Just imagine how jealous it would make those prissy blonds.”

“True that!” Leigh declared with a high five.

“We should head to sociology” Leigh began packing up her things.

“What’s the point.” Ashley sighed “He’s always late.”

“The point is, if we don’t go you wont get to argue with Sue” Leigh enticed.

Ashley smiled. “I do enjoy our arguments.” She agreed standing up.

As they left the common room they passed the blonds heading back. “Do you think they are making that their new place?” Ashley asked.

“God I hope not” Leigh shuddered at the thought.

Strolling into the classroom they found the oldest member of the class, Sue already in the room. She glanced up for a moment then returned back to her book. Ashley and Leigh set their bags on the first table before sitting down.

Slowly the classroom began filling up, when the class was to officially start the teacher hadn’t arrived. This wasn’t anything shocking, Mr. Kowalski was never on time. In fact if he arrived five minuets after class started it was a miracle.

When Kowalski finally entered the room Ashley and Leigh were playing the art game where they passed a note book back and forth elaborating on the others previous design. They didn’t stop either as he begin his lecture. It was the usual slide show and today they were talking about how people co exist regardless of religious and personal differences. They tuned in and out as class progressed. And as usual Sue kept interrupting with a comment or a question every two minutes that she felt compelled to voice or ask. And as usual she was getting on everyone’s nerves. Finally class was almost over and Ashley and Leigh put their stuff away to find Sue in some kind of debate with Mr. Kowalski.

Time seemed to slow to a stand still with her prattling. Kowalski managed to get a few words and looked for some one to answer his last question of the day. It just so happened to fall on Ashley’s shoulders which she replied in turn with her honest answer. But apparently Sue disagreed with her perspective and injected her own about how if people didn’t like each other they could never coincide. Ashley defended her statement nonchalantly which in turn made Sue start taking the offence.

“Because people disagree we have wars. And tolerance is not something many people have these days. Even some kids think its okay to bring a gun to school and kill the people had a negative effect on their lives and see no wrong in it.” Sue finished.

“That’s not true.” Ashley said now annoyed with her. “I don’t like you but you don’t see me bringing a gun to school and shooting you.”

Leigh covered her mouth and tried the hardest she ever had to suppress the outburst of laughter that was welling up inside her. The rest of the class went slack jawed and even Mr. Kowalski found himself speechless.

After having made the comment Ashley felt kind of bad but was no where near apologizing. However in making the said comment the class found themselves without homework as class came to a close. Ashley and Leigh being the first to leave.

They exited the school and began walking to the bus stop at the corner. “I can’t believe you said that.” Leigh spoke in shock.

“Honesty I feel kind of bad, but it just came out.” Ashley shrugged.

“Either way, I love your straightforwardness.”

The corner was full of other college students, they joined the group to wait for the bus to arrive. No one was really talking so they to fell silent. They watched cars come and go from the schools parking lot. One car that was leaving had Sue behind the wheel. Her eyes locked onto Ashley’s for a moment, a mutual dislike glare was exchanged between them before Sue drove away. Soon after the bus arrived and the girls were greeted by Tyrese’s smiling face.

“Well now did you two have a good day at school?”

“We ended up with no homework, so I would say it was a good day.” Leigh nodded.

Ashley opened the fridge door in search for lunch, however it was fairly bare, she did manage to find some lunch meat and cheese. She set the ingredients on the counter and reached on top of the fridge for bread, unfortunately there was none. “Leigh, we’re out of bread again.” She sighed putting the meat and cheese back in the fridge.

“Already? Didn’t we just get some?” She emerged from the living room.

“We could go grocery shopping before work.” Ashley offered sitting at the table.

“Or we can stick to our normal schedule and do it tomorrow.” Leigh joined her friend.

“But I’m hungry now.” Ashley whined.

Leigh got to her feet. “Let’s see what we’ve got.”

They ended up with a meager lunch of chicken broth and crackers. After eating they did what little dishes there were, cleaned up the house a bit then headed to bed for much needed sleep before going to work.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any feedback is extremely welcome