I'll Be Your Riot Girl, If You'll Be My Romeo

Welcome to Paradise

Image

September 6, 2000

My alarm clock went off promptly at 6:25 this morning filling my bedroom with music. The song on the radio was one I didn’t recognize so lazily I turned it off which of course is a cardinal sin however I was willing to let that slide this morning.

When I sat up in bed my blanket fell to the floor blending into the dirty clothes that were scattered around my room. Tiredly I made the short walk to the closet, which took me a moment to open because I couldn’t find the handle. Perhaps I shouldn’t have covered my bedroom in posters, it made everything blend together. After getting the closet open my mind drifted as I scanned over my clothes. School had been in session for only a few days, but I was having a heck of a time adjusting. Maybe I should have stopped staying out late and fixed my sleeping schedule the week before school started.

Continuing with my lazy feeling I grabbed an old pair of beat up jeans that Devan had tried to throw away twice but I have been lucky enough to save them. I matched the jeans with a plain black tank top. Exiting my safe haven I went to wake Cassie up.

I slowly open the door and peer into the dark room. I can see my younger sister still asleep in bed. “Cassie. Get up.” I announce loud enough to wake her but not give her a heart attack. To my annoyance she doesn’t move nor give any sign that she had heard me. I took a few steps further into the bedroom; looking around for something to throw, that wouldn’t hurt her too much. My eyes fall on a pink princess pillow that belongs to our youngest sister Megan. Armed with the pillow, I line up my throw and hit her directly in the head.

“I’M UP!” She shouts grabbing the pillow and attempts to throw it at me. I easily dodge the missile pillow and exit the room. Continuing down the hall to the bathroom. In the middle of washing my hair I begin to hear arguing coming from the living room. With a sigh I shorten my relaxing shower and hurriedly get dressed, pulling out the hair dryer I drown out my sisters bickering and partially dry my hair at the same time.

While giving myself one last look over to make sure my makeup and hair look good, the bathroom door opens and Cassie walks in “I’m getting in the shower.” she announces and begins to strip out of her clothes.

“You could have at least let me finish first.” I roll my eyes and exit the room, closing the door with a slight bang to show my displeasure.

Going down stairs I found Megan sitting on the floor in front of the TV eating a bowl of cereal. I made myself some toast before joining Megan in the living room. By the time Megan’s show was over Cassie was walking into the living room ready for school.

“Megan it’s your turn.” I announce standing. Without arguing Megan gets to her feet, shoves her bowl into my hands as she runs to the stairs. The leftover milk in her bowl evilly splashed onto my black tank, I let out a small whimper and with Cassie’s laughing following me, I walked to the kitchen placing my plate and the vile bowl in the sink.

Walking up the stairs I strip out of my wet tank and toss it into the hamper in the bathroom as I walk past to my bedroom. I searched through my closet for another shirt, soon I found a ripped up black tank with bleach spots artistically placed, with a shrug I put the tank on. Glancing at the alarm clock I ran from my room.

“I hope your ready Megan, we have to leave like now!” I shouted as I run down the hall. Cassie and Megan are already standing next to the door their shoes and backpacks on.

“Just waiting for you Juliet” Cassie gave me a childish smirk. I ignored her and slipped on my shoes; grab my black messenger bag (which I had put patches of my favorite bands all over it) that was sitting on the end of the couch. I unclipped my keys from my bag and attached them to my jeans as I followed my sisters outside, locking the door behind me.

We walked to the end of our cul-de-sac (which was closest to the entrance or our little neighborhood) to wait with the other neighborhood children for the school bus. While we were still walking, the bus pulled up. “RUN” I encourage my sisters.

We reached the bus just as the last child from the bus stop climbed on. “Living the closest to the stop should always mean your early for the bus.” our driver teased.

“It’s been a slightly tough morning Rosie” I exclaimed feeling the doors close behind me.

“I’m sure it was, now go take your seat.” She winked at me.

With a laughed I walked to the back of the bus, taking the last seat on the right, my normal seat. I use the remaining time it takes the bus to arrive at school for a little extra sleeping time. Using the seat across from me to prop my feet up.