I'll Be Your Riot Girl, If You'll Be My Romeo

Enter New Kid

Image

September 6, 2000

I was waken up not by Rosie yelling at me that we were at school (like she did every day) but by someone kicking my legs. I opened my eyes slowly ready to destroy whoever had disturbed my slumber, however my eyes landed on a new teenager that I had never seen before, his expression almost matching my own.

Before either of us could say a word Rosie’s voice filled the bus “Juliet let the new kid sit.”

“Aye aye captain.” I sat up giving her a military salute.

With my feet once again on the floor, the new teen took the vacant seat sliding all the way to the inside so he could look out the window. The bus began moving and since the new kid was sitting on the inside of the seat I felt I could resume my bus ride nap so I closed my eyes and put my feet back on the seat.

“Didn’t your mom teach you any manners?”

It took me a moment longer then normal to realize that the question was directed at me. I opened my left eye and saw the new boy looking at me.

“Well?” he pressed.

“Apparently she never got around to it.” I answered closing my eye. “And she never will.”

“With an attitude like that I suspect she has given up.”

“My parents took off two years ago. Besides this isn’t an attitude.” I answered not bothering to open my eyes.

“Wow way to be blunt and make me feel like an ass.” He let out a uncomfortable laugh.

“You needed no help from me to look like an ass.” I retorted not bothering to open my eyes.

“You sure are a fucking ray of sunshine.” He mumbled dejectedly.

A feeling a remorse washed over me, I opened my eyes and found him staring out the window “I’m sorry for being difficult, but you interrupted my morning bus nap.”

“It’s my first day,” He turned to me. “How was I supposed to know.” He finished with a fierce look.

“Rosie was supposed to post a sign but I guess she forgot.” I joked hoping to make him smile, but his look never changed. “I was trying to apologize.” I announced exasperated as the bus pulled up to the high school.

“Next time try just saying sorry.” He stood pushed past my legs and began walking down the aisle.

“Sorry? What is the meaning of this word?” I called after him, satisfied to have the last word.

“Clearly this school’s English department needs some work.” He shot me a boyish grin and got off the bus.

Frustrated I jumped to my feet determined not to let him talk badly of the only subject that keeps me in school, and of course he simply could not have the last word, but by the time I got off the bus he was no where in sight.

I think of an assortment of awe-inspiring comebacks as I enter the school and make my way through the crowd to my locker. Arriving at my locker I find it surrounded by my close group of friends.

“Lookin good Juliet” Billie whistles (ironically Billie looks like he could be the son of Billie Joe Armstrong the singer of Green Day, the gang and I think that it is a distinct possibility, however his mom isn’t that cool)

“Thanks Billie.” I do a ballerina spin complete with the arm over my head as I close the gap between me and my friends.

“You’re to much of a dork, I can’t believe I hang out with you” Amber shuddered (Amber is the only one in our group that doesn’t come from a broken home, which seems to make her the most normal, plus she‘s slightly preppy which doesn’t really fit in with the image the rest of us have)

“Hey you’re the prep that subjects yourself to us, we never asked you to hang out.” Lexis’s words dripped with venom (Lexis is my best friend, she can’t stand Amber, but Amber doesn’t let her words or actions bother her since she claims its all due to Lexis’s horrendous past)

“No need to be a bitch this early babe.” Mick wrapped an arm around Lexis’s neck pulling her closer to him (Mick and Lexis are in a permanent on again off again relationship since neither of them seem to be able to let go of each other and if they could, their both so crazy that they scare away any new romantic partners)

“We have a new guy at school.” I informed my friends.

“Really, is he cute?” Amber questioned perking up.

“Well I guess he’s kinda cute,” I had to admit. “But he woke me up from my morning bus nap.” I quickly added.

“Then you know he’s new, waking you up period can be painful.” Mick chimed in with a knowing laugh.

“oOoOoO is that him?” Amber pointed behind me.

I spun around and quickly spied the new guy, he stuck out like a sore thumb in the middle of the rest of the student body. “Yeah that’s him,” I confirm “He’s evil” I added turning back to my friends.