Reigniting the Passion

Childhood Promise

"Don't make me look weird."

Focusing the camera I took a picture of my poised friend. "Then don't make such weird faces."

Arching a brow she faced me. "I didn't make a weird face."

"Oh right, that's what you always look like."

"Oh ha ha, very funny."

Finally I was able to capture a picture of her genuine smile. "There! Perfect."

"Let me see!" Eagerly she ran over, her boots leaving imprints in the snow.

A loud ringing suddenly echoed through the trees.

Confused, Mia fished her phone from her pocket.

"Who is it?"

"My dad." She stood before me in fear, knowing the only time he called was when something was wrong. "Hello?"

The world was so silent, I could hear his every word.

"Hey, it's me. Listen kid, your grandmother, she uh, she dies. I just thought you should know. I'm sorry."

He ended the call, leaving his own daughter to deal with the news alone.

"Mia, I am so sorry."

And at that moment, as a tear streamed down her face, I saw the life leave her beautiful eyes, even if she was not dead.

Things were different after that.

We stopped hanging out, or rather, she stopped going out.

The best friend I knew and loved had vanished before my very eyes.

I had to do everything I could to make this better, to help her in some way, even if the help seemed unreasonable.

"Mia."

"Lance."

"Come with me, we have to go somewhere."

"I don't want to." The monotonous drone to her voice sent chills down my spine.

"Now."

Hastily I drug her along, taking her to the one place I hoped could help.

"I know you don't want to be here, but this lady might be able to contact your grandma. She might be able to help you."

We entered the establishment, a strong aroma of frankincense and juniper hung in the air.

"Hi-"

Holding up a hand she silenced me. "Tell me, why did you bring this void child here?"

"Pardon?"

"She said void."

My eyes shot to Mia then back to the medium in confusion. "Listen, can you help us? She needs to contact someone."

With a nod the woman led us to a table before lighting some candles. "Who are you trying to contact?"

"Sylvia."

Shaking her head, she pointed at the girl sitting beside me. "No child, not Sylvia, what is her name?"

My heart dropped.

This woman wasn't psychic at all, just a scam artist.

"Why does it matter?"

"I can't contact her without her name."

"Contact her?" Curiously my eyes my friends, yet again meeting lifeless orbs. "Mia." The once vibrant girl stared blankly. "Her name is Mia."

Skeptically I watched the stranger invoke the spirits.

There's nothing wrong with her, she's just depressed, there's noth-

"Lance!"

My head snapped up, gaze locking upon what looked like a portal, with my best friend standing in the middle, tears streaming down her face.

"Mia!?" The world seemed to stop, to sway, to throw me against the ground and pick me back up.

How could she be there when her body was right here!?

"What happened to you dear?"

"It's, it's my grandma."

Her grandma? But she's, dead.

"What did she do?"

I watched frozen as the psychic questioned my friend.

"When I was little we made a promise, but I was just a kid! I didn't mean it!"

Shakily I took in a breath. "What was the promise?"

"I promised that when she went to heaven I would go with her." She choked back another sob. "But there's not heaven here, only evil."

"Get her back! Get her out of there!"

The psychic shook her head sadly. "I'm sorry."

Panicking I walked towards the spirit of my friend, adamant on getting her back.

"I'll get you, I'll save you."

Ever so slowly, as if in slow motion, her grandmother stood up behind her, a smile so malicious spread across her face, my blood turned to ice.

"Mia!"

Sylvia hooked her spindly arms around Mia's waist, pulling her back sharply.

"Lance!"

As soon as it had appeared, the doorway was gone, leaving me heartbroken, staring into the soulless eyes of a friend forever lost.