Status: Completed one shot

Rome-Antics

I'm all the way up I swear you'll never bring me down

"Rooomee!!"

The familiar Irish accent carried up the stairs causing hot tea from the mug curled between her knuckles to spill down the front of Romee's new creme colored jumper.

"Blimey!" she huffed feverishly whipping the hot liquid from her clothes as her housemate came barreling into her room.

"What the hell, Niall? Look what you did to my new jumper!!"

"I'll dry clean it if you want," he rolls his blue eyes as he plops down on his housemate's bed "this is important,"

Niall urgently shoves his mobile in Romee's face already prepared for her reaction. As she anchors her eyes on the screen Romee can feel the air being sucked from her lungs and her heart crumbling like an aged piece of stone.

"2/28- Save the date- David and Cecelia."

Romee reads the words over and over again. Drinking in the image of them cozied for the camera and the large stone propped on her finger makes her want to smash the phone with the nearest hammer but she quickly remembers it belongs to Niall.

"Well," she sighs flopping against the pile of pillows propped on her headboard. "I- fuck,"

Niall runs a hand through his brunette locks the are long over their bright blonde dye job, Romee being currently too distressed to notice.

"Trifflin' of them, yeah?" It's been six months-"

"It's only been five," Romee corrects with a deep sigh.

For many five months was a long time. Long enough to rid your system of an unproductive relationship with liar and a cheat. And it was long enough but seeing the news bring Romee right back to the same place she was five months ago, from the moment she'd first caught them together to the countless nights she'd spent in tears wondering what she'd done wrong with only the comfort of Niall and heaping bowls of rice pudding.

"How d'ya feel, " Niall questions.

"M happy for them," she replies, chewing at her bottom lip.

She figures that if she tries to be the better person it will be easier to get over.

"That's a lie. You're pissed,"

"Alright," Romee sighs, not surprised that her best friend can see straight through her. "I feel like I did back then. I'm fucking angry,"

Niall flashes a sympathetic smile placing his hand on top of hers.

"They're both fuckin' horrid. They deserve each other. You deserve much better, Rome,"

Romee scoffs at his words clutching a throw pillow to her chest.

"That's what the best friend always says. I don't wish it was me I just wish I could get my final peace, ya know? Get the last laugh,"

Niall suddenly gets a bright idea.

"Why don't you? You've got a good two weeks. Go out, buy a killer dress, show up to the function and cause a riot. I can be your hot date," he declares clearly proud of his idea.

Romee gives her brown eyes a hard roll.

"That's proper lame, Niall. It's like asking to get an L tattooed on my forehead,"

He frowns, visibly gutted that she doesn't like his idea.

"Or you could move on with your life, y'know, like normal people. Not that you're still hung up on him or not normal,"

An awkward silence falls between the friends before Niall stands to his feet.

"Listen," he sighs, gently rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm goin' out. Care to join me?"

"Nah, " Romee replies whilst running a hand through her dark hair. "I don't wanna be a third wheel,"

Niall shrugs.

"Suit yer' self but I don't want you sittin' in here having a pity party,"

She lets out a long sigh, giving the pillow a hard squeeze.

"But I love throwing parties when your not home," Romee quips, hoping to disguise the feeling of dread with a bit of humor.

"You've never been funny," Niall retorts bending down to press a chaste kiss to her fore head. "but it's one of the things I love about cha. Don't miss me too much while I'm gone, yeah?"

"Yeah,"

When Niall is finally gone the flat seems much too big and much too quiet and Romee is left alone with her jumbled thoughts, the feeling of helplessness settling in her chest like a cold, heavy rock. The feeling isn't by any means foreign but somehow it feels far too fresh and new and the only way she's knows how to get rid of it all is to pull the duvet far over her head, close her eyes tight and hope that sleep would find her and take those feelings with it.

When the feelings wouldn't disappear Romee climbed out of bed, tugged on her boots and wiggled into her coat, desperate to escape the flat. She knew it was potentially dangerous to be out at this hour but she had a rape whistle and pepper spray in her purse and she did care who dared cross her path.

The early February air danced about her as she trudged down the icy sidewalks, causing her to pull her coat tighter around her body. She was looking for a place of warm solace, any place that could soothe her frantic feelings. While Romee wasn't one to numb her emotions with hard liquor and strange men but she could certainly eat her way out of her feelings and the nearest diner was less than a block away.

Activity had died down on the streets with the exception of a few passing cabs and pub and club goers passing on the pavement and rushing to get out of the cold. Condensation dripped down the glass door of the dinner, the fluorescent open sign buzzing above her head. The smell and warmth of fresh brewed coffee greeted her as she pulled open the heavy door and already she felt a bit better. With the exception of a muffled jukebox playing an old Wham! hit and the clattering of dishes in the kitchen, things were pretty silent in the diner. On a chilly Thursday night like this, a couple of uni students grabbing a late night bite or a couple on a date would be common to find but tonight there was only one lone man sat in a booth.

Romee decided to take a table by a window, hoping to keep a respectable distance. As a waitress came over to take her order she stole a glance at the stranger in the booth. A cup of coffee sat in front of him as he stared intently into a paperback book. Almost immediately Romme noticed his striking profile: full pink lips, a straight nose and one of the sharpest and most perfectly carved jawline she'd ever seen. Besides his striking looks there was something about him that peeked Romee's curiosity.

It had been forever since Romee had chatted anyone up and she'd always been particularly shy about making the first move but tonight she wasn't feeling too much like herself. She was feeling a bit daring and spontaneous. After downing her Full English Breakfast she finally mustered up the courage to stride over to his booth. He had yet to look up from his book when she cleared her throat.

"Hi," she smiled shyly griping the ceramic mug in her hands.

The man finally looked up from his book, moving the fallen piece of hair from his eyes as he flashed Romee a small grin that was embellished with two large dimples.

"Hi,"

His voice was deep, but slow and smooth like buttered toast on a Sunday morning. Romee stared into his dazzling, grass , green eyes trying to form a proper sentence.

"I don't want to be a bother or seem like a creeper or anything," she started slowly. "but we're both sitting by ourselves and I was hoping for some type of company and I thought maybe you could use some too. I understand if you don't wanna be bothered or anything but-"

The stranger grinned.

"I don't mind meeting new people. Have a seat,"

Romee fought hard to hide the blush creeping along her cheeks as she slid into the opposite side of the booth. She stared into her coffee cup as the man closed the paperback book, sitting it next to the salt and pepper shakers.

"What are you reading," she suddenly ask.

The man runs a large hand through his full head of brunette locks.

"Love Is A Dog From Hell. Bukowski."

Romee chuckles at the irony of it all.

"Where's the lie in that, yeah? Love's a bitch. I'll have to read that one day,"

He smirks, revealing his dimples once more and Romee can't help but notice how adorably lopsided his grin is.

"Harry, " he suddenly drawls.

Romee quirks a brow, failing to catch on.

"I'm sorry?"

"Harry," he repeats again. " 'M Harry,"

She grins.

"Romee. Nice to meet you Harry,"

"So Romee," Harry starts, swiping his tongue against his bottom lip "what's got you having a Full English and sittin' with a stranger on a Thursday night,"

She sighs staring back down at her cup of coffee. She's not quite sure if she wants to tell Harry all the details of her pathetic love life.

"I shouldn't bother you with it all, really,"

"Nonsense," he drawls. "you said you could use some company so here I am. Feel free to talk my head off,"

Romee lets out another deep sigh deciding she might as well let it out. Harry was a stranger that she'd probably never see again and after seeing his book she was sure he would most likely be able to relate to her woes.

"I'm probably overreacting it's just, my ex boyfriend is getting married,"

Harry taps a finger against his chin.

"Bummer, still got feelings?" he questions.

Romee scoffs.

"No, he's a total scrub. He cheated on me and he's getting married to the girl he cheated on me with,"

"Ouch," he mumbles. "I know how that feels. Had a serious girlfriend a while back and I caught her with another man. I was crushed. You've got every right to be pissed,"

There's a lull of silence between them as the waitress strolls over to the booth, replenishing their coffee mugs.

"You too, huh?" she chuckled, " Never would've guessed. I guess it's a small world after all,"

" 'M pretty much over it now. A wee bit bitter but what's done is done yeah?" Harry shrugs,. "Heard they're still together and thinkin' about getting married,"

Romme takes a sip of coffee, intrigued and some what a bit disturbed by how similar their stories are.

"You don't think that," she runs a hand through her hair nervously, a strange suspicion washing over her. "you don't think maybe- no I'm being daft,"

The look on Harry's face suddenly grows serious as he begins to pick up on Romee's hunch.

"You think that maybe our exes are with each other?"

She chews at her bottom lip.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's your ex's name?"

"Cecilia," Harry replies slowly. The word slips off his tongue in a dull and lifeless way.

Romee's eyes grow wide and she nearly spits out her coffee. She can't decide whether life is just down right cruel or has a horrid sense of humor.

"Shit," she breathes. It's the only word she can think of and the only word that can come out of her mouth. "shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit,"

She stares at Harry, a blank expression settling on his handsome face.

"No fucking way," he practically gasp.

A dry laugh escapes Romee's lips.

"Your girlfriend stole my boyfriend,"

"And your boyfriend stole my girlfriend,"

The world was too small.

An awkward beat of silence passed between them and Romee isn't sure if she should just leave.

"She left you for David, and they're getting married,"

Romee finds herself vexed that Cecilia would pick David over Harry. She'd only just met him but he seemed much friendlier and more interesting than David had ever been.

"Well, this is the plot twist of the fucking century," Harry drawls, running a hand through his hair once more. "I feel like I'm in a rom com. This stuff only happens in the movies,"

She drums her fingernails against the table top, a nervous habit.

"If somebody had told me I'd be meetin' the girl who got dumped by the guy who stole my girl, I would have thought they were crazy," he continues.

"Me too," she agrees.

Both of them, unsure of what to say stare into their cups of coffee in silence. Romee's mind drifts off to her brief conversation with Niall and she suddenly gets an idea.

"Are you going to the wedding?" she suddenly asks.

Harry's eye brows furrow deeply in confusion.

"What?"

The wedding. It's in two weeks. Are you going?"

He huffs.

"No, why would I do that?"

Romee grins widely.

"I'm going," she speaks, firmly and clearly, the feeling of confidence brewing in her chest as she becomes more sure of words. "you should go too,"

The coffee in her mug nearly spills out as she gestulates with excitement, the idea sounding better and better. Romee can't decide if she's hyped from too much caffeine or just down right mad.

"We should go together ,"

The words leave her mouth as Harry stares at her blankly. He finds himself a bit confused but also a bit intrigued.

"Why would I do that? 'M not happy for them,"

"Exactly," Romee quips. "don't you wanna get back at them? Give them one last and final 'fuck you' before you're out of their lives forever? Us showing up together would be mad clever. They'd never live the embarrassment down,"

Harry hums, running his hands through his hair in deep thought.

"So I think I get it. We show up at the wedding together, showing them what they missed out on and how happy we are without them,"

"It'll be like our own little club. The Scorned Exes Coalition,"

A crooked, dimpled grin spreads across his face.

"Let's do it,"

***

Romee found herself in new spirits after meeting Harry.

While she was still slightly weirded out by the coincidence, it felt nice to have met someone who'd walked the same mile. To have some company in her misery. Only being around Harry felt anything but miserable.

Romee stared at her reflection a final time, wrapping the wool scarf around her neck to keep the cold out. She hummed quietly to herself as she searched for her keys, not wanting to be locked out of the flat unless she got back late. After the first meeting she was meeting up with Harry again for drinks to discuss their plans for crashing David and Cecelia's wedding. She'd gotten off work late and was running behind, silently hoping that Harry would still be waiting for her by the time she'd arrived.

"Hokey match is on t'night and I'm orderin' pizza. Care to cuddle up with me?"

The familiar Irish voice startles Romee causing her to jump. She was thankful she didn't have any liquids in her hand that could potentially ruin the jumper she was wearing.

"Goddamn it, Niall. Don't you ever knock or do you just teleport places?"

She spins around to face her cheeky friend clothed in only a pair of shorts and thick shocks, a grin stretching across his lips.

"Sure I do. I'm livin' in the future. Everyone else is behind." he quips. "so, wanna take me up on that offer or what?"

Romee sighs, running a hand through her hair.

"Sorry Nialler, I'm going out tonight. You'll just have to do without me,"

"You, goin' out?" he gasp, blue eyes widening. "you met someone!"

Romee feels a blush creeping across her cheeks and she suddenly regrets telling Niall about her plans.

"Can't I just go out by myself for once?" she questions hoping to derail his train of thought.

"C'mon, Ro. You're a homebody. Everyone knows you don't leave the house unless you've got a reason to. You've met someone and I want to know who the lucky lad is,"

She sighs, exasperatedly, not having the energy to keep lying to Niall.

"Alright so I met someone, but not exactly how you'd think,"

"What other way is there to think of? You met a guy, you fancy him and you're trying to get to know him better. Y'know this is a good thing fer you. It's been forever since you've gone on a date and probably even longer since you've been laid. You-"

"Ugh, Niall, stop." Romee groans, ending Niall's rant. "he's Cecelia's ex boyfriend. You know, the one she left for David,"

Niall's eyes were likely to pop out of his head in disbelief.

"Whoa, you're really goin' for the jugular, yeah? I always knew you had some bite in ya! What'd you do to find 'I'm? Facebook stalk her and hunt down their old pictures?" he asks cheerfully.

"It was a chance meeting. We're going to go to the wedding together and surprise them. Other than that there's not much there. We've only met once,"

Romee couldn't deny that she had a bit of a crush on Harry but she wasn't really interested in letting any sexual or romantic attractions distract away from getting the revenge they both deserved. Besides it was likely that they may never see each other again and she wasn't one for one night stands or casual hookups. She craved the consistency and security of relationships over cheap thrills.

"That's fuckin' crazy," Niall exclaimed. " How hard are you going? Taylor Swift break -up diss track or Beyonc "Lemonade"? Have you fucked him yet? Oh boy wouldn't that add a new layer of drama,"

Romee could't help but chuckle at Niall's ramblings.

" I've got to get going. We're grabbing drinks and I don't wanna make him wait too long. I promise I'll let you in on the details,"

****

Harry was still waiting for Romee at the bar with a tray of shots when she finally arrived at the pub. Business was unusually slow for a Thursday night so Romme didn't have any trouble spotting him amongst the crowd.

"Tardy for the party, I see," he drawls as she approaches the bar.

Romee can't help the grin the spreads across her face.

"Got off work late and couldn't find my keys," she sighs, eyeing his elegant peacoat as she makes herself comfortable on the barstool. "you know, the usual things,"

Harry responds with a dimpled grin and Romee notices the tray of shots.

"You're not going to drink all that, yeah?" she questions.

"Nah, 'm not a binger. I figured we'd play a little drinking game while we plan to crash this wedding,"

"I like games. I'm a bit competitive I'd say," Romee grins, rubbing her palms together in anticipation "So how's this game go?"

He swipes his tongue against his bottom lip before explaining.

"I ask you a question and for each reply you take a shot, simple, yeah?"

"Very. Can I go first?"

"Already asked the first one," he replies with a smirk, shrugging out of his coat. "jus' kidding, go ahead,"

Romee clears her throat with a grin, propping a hand under her chin.

"What's your last name?"

Harry bites the corner of his lip as he reaches for one of the shot glasses.

"Styles," he answers slowly before downing the drink.

"Cool," she replies watching as he wipes his lips with the back of his hand. "you're next,"

He narrows his eyes as if he's searching for the question somewhere in the bar.

"What do you do?" he finally drawls.

"I'm a hairdresser. I could totally give you a new look. What do think about blonde? I did a great dye job on my flatmate," Romee picks up the shot throwing her head back as the downs the alcohol.

"Blonde?" Harry smirks. " Don't think it'd be that good of a look on me and since you asked another question I think I'll take another shot,"

Romee can't help but watch as Harry drinks the strong alcohol. There's a strange elegance in the way his lips curve around the glass, something so attractive about such a simple task.

" Biggest fear?" Harry questions breaking her from her short day dream as he drums his finger tips against the bar top.

"Being stuck in a place with no way out. God, it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it," With a grimace she takes the shot, hoping it will wash away the uneasy feeling.

"Scary indeed," he hums in agreement.

"My turn," Rome, taps her chin in thought. "guilty pleasure song?"

A wide, dimpled grin spread across Harry's handsome face.

"Sexyback, Justin Timberlake,"

Romee giggles.

"Somebody's gotta bring sexy back,"

"I'm sittin' right here, it never left,"

Romee enjoys their witty banter and finds herself eager to know more about him but as Harry sips the bourbon in his glass, a more serious topic lingers in his thoughts.

"Okay, next question," he rasps, "while you're still sober. What was your relationship like with David?"

Romee feels her stomach twist into knots and it's not from the shots she'd downed on an empty stomach. She hadn't really talked to anyone about things with David except for Niall and since they lived under the same roof he already knew most of the details. She takes a deep sigh, already reaching for a shot glass.

"At first, things were great.Thing got serious pretty quickly and I just knew for sure I had a golden boy. He was smart and sweet and thought the world of me, so I thought. I just knew he was the one. But after awhile he just grew distant and neglectful. Suddenly he started pointing out my every flaw. I couldn't do anything right and I actually thought it was my fault. But I soon realized his behavior had only changed cause he'd found someone else to shag. Someone better than me,"

The worlds roll over her tongue with a bitter taste. She can feel the anger brewing in her lungs and the tears stinging the corner of her eyes but she wouldn't dare let them fall. She'd finished crying her last tears over him. With her eyes fixed on the dart board behind the bar she slowly knocks back the shot. Harry stays silent, watching with a familiar sadness.

" You don't mind if I take another shot, do you? That question deserves a double," she speaks, hoping to break the awkward silence.

Harry grins sympathetically, a hint of dimples showing in his cheeks as he slowly reaches over and places his large hand on top of hers. An unfamiliar jolt surges through her body at his touch.

"I know it's been said before but he didn't deserve you," his green eyes stare deep into Romee's brown and she can't decide if she's too tipsy or they've been that mesmerizing all along. "honestly. You're- you're beautiful and m' more than certain you can find a bloke who'll cherish you. If that's what you're looking for,"

Harry finds himself in a small state of panic, stammering over his words. Romee was very obviously pretty but that wasn't what made him nervous around her. He'd only met her once before but he found she had a lovely and magnetic energy about her that was unlike the other women he'd chatted up before. Whenever they talked he felt like he could talk to her forever.

"Nah," Romee laughs, nervously running a hand through her hair as she reached for another shot. " I know prince charming doesn't exist anymore. I'm not opposed to some male companionship, though. I haven't seen anyone since David and sometimes I'd like to be around someone other than Niall," she speaks shyly.

His eyebrows furrow.

"Who's Niall?"

"My flatmate and my best friend," she smiles. " he's a character. You know how it gets when you co-exist with someone, yeah?"

A since of relief washes over Harry and he nods.

"Yeah,"

"So," Romee speaks after taking another shot, her speech sounds a bit slurred and Harry can tell the alcohol is beginning to do it's job. "since we're talking exes, tell me a bit about you and Cecilia,"

Harry sighs, running a hand through his short curls. He'd let his feelings about the break-up subside into a dull aching pain,like when you break your arm and the bone heals but you still feel the pain of the fracture from time to time. He'd spent months pushing his feelings aside and now it was time to face them.

"What can I say?" he shrugs. "I fell hard, like I do sometimes. I thought she was the one, ya know? But in retrospect everything was so one sided. I was willing to move mountains for her but she'd likely leave me stranded in the desert if she had the choice. She had me fooled the whole time, thinkin' she was some angel. My identity was practically tied to that relationship so I was pretty fucked up when it ended. Thought I could fix things with a couple of hook ups and drowning myself in alcohol but now I realize how stupid I was and that I'm better off on me own,"

The corner of Romee's lips turn up into a small grin.

"What a bitch," she slurs. "I still don't know why she'd ever pick David over you. On a scale of one to ten you're an eleven and he's like a five. Never knew what I found so attractive about him anyway, he had the smallest dick of all my boyfriends and finished way too early,"

Romee reaches for another glass, having lost count of her alcohol intake.

Harry nearly chokes on his drink and he has to sit his shot glass down as he erupts into laughter, the corner of his eyes crinkling in delight.

" 'M sorry," he smirks. "I know I shouldn't laugh but s' too funny,"

Romee finds herself in a fit of laughter too.

"Why not? Go ahead and laugh. Do I look like a I give a shit?"

Giggles escape her throat that only make Harry grin.

"In retrospect it all seems silly, really. I mean, to think that I was so hung up on him and the most excitement we had in our relationship was going to Ikea on Saturdays to look at furniture we'd never buy for a flat we'd never have together while we stuffed ourselves with Swedish meatballs," she shrugs, swiveling on her barstool. "I mean, I could do that with Niall. I could do that with you! What are you doin this Saturday?"

He chuckles.

"Those meatballs are worth the trip though. And actually 'm free this Saturday,"

There's a cheerful silence between the two of them, Romee taking the opportunity to have another drink, when suddenly he remembers something.

"So," he smirks. "you think I'm a ten?"

Harry's finally brought attention to the elephant in the room and while Romee would normally feel embarrassed, she likes the attention.

"I think I said you were an eleven,"

"Eleven," his eyebrows rose in a teasing manner. "I'd say the same about you,"

Romee feels a blush creeping on her cheeks but the spirits in her glass makes her feel anything but bashful.

"I'm not sure Cecilia knows what she missed out on," she drawled.

Harry reaches for another shot, his jade eyes never once leaving hers.

"Neither does David. Idiots deserve each other, I reckon,"

Romme slowly leans forward sealing the gap between them that seemed much too large. Neither Romee nor Harry had broken their gaze, the attraction between them so purely magnetic neither one could resist.

"Then let's be idiots,"

The words had barely escaped her before her mouth was pressed against his, the taste of bourbon lingering on his lips. The first kiss was gentle and slow and Romee couldn't tell if Harry wanted it or not. But when his fingers reached for her hair and his teeth sunk into her bottom lip she knew the feeling was reciprocated.

"I- that feels nice," Harry drawls against her lips.

Her nose brushes against his and her arms find themselves around his neck as she hums in agreement.

"I've kinda been wanting to do that since we first met," she admits. "I think we've wasted a lot of time,"

It's Harry's turn to make a move and he doesn't hesitate to capture her lips once more, neither of them caring about the tipsy and curious onlookers. The snogging continues for sometime until Romee grows restless of their confined environment.

"Your place or mine?" The words roll off her tongue with a breathless bravado that only alcohol can bring.

He pushes a fallen strand of hair from her face, biting the corner of his swollen lip.

"Your flatmate gonna be home?"

A lazy grin spreads across her lips.

"You're supposed to say your place, Harry,"

Harry leans over once more, gently pecking her mouth.

"My place it is then,"

And with that they escaped into the night, a tangled mess of limbs and mouths. To the perfect stranger they looked like a wasted couple who couldn't keep their hands to themselves but really they were just two lonely souls who'd finally seemed to find something good in their heartbreak.

****

When Romee woke the next morning, finding herself in his arms and in his bed, she felt a deep feeling of self loathing settling in.

It wasn't a part of the plan.

Their union was supposed to be about power, about taking back the joy that'd been stolen from them both. But instead she'd fallen victim to a moment of weakness and suddenly this felt more about loneliness and vulnerablitiy and trying to fill the shoes of people that neither one of them wanted to be like.

She didn't know what to say or how to feel so she scurried off to her flat before he could wake and make her breakfast and discuss their new found closeness and kiss her goodbye before he caught the tube to work. Days had passed since their drunken tryst without any contact between them and on the night of David and Cecilia's wedding Romee found herself staring at the black dress in her closet with a knot of apprehension sitting in her belly.

"Why aren't you gettin' ready?"

Romee remained unbothered by Niall's rude entrance, a heavy sigh escaping her.

"I don't think I'm going anymore,"

"Why?"

She stares down at her manicured nails, avoiding her best friend's concerned glance.

"I just don't think it's a good idea anymore, as all. Just seems suddenly immature, so childish. I mean I'm practically thirty,"

Niall gives his blue eyes a roll.

"If you get anymore transparent, you could be made outta glass. That's not what this is about, is it?"

Romee groans in defeat, forced to reveal herself to the all knowing Niall.

"Alright, fine. Maybe things went a little too far with Harry,"

"Maybe." Niall scoffs. "ya must think' 'm stupid. I know ya didn't come home that night,"

"I'm just so embarrassed. I was tipsy and initiated everything. It all happened so fast. It wasn't supposed to happen,"

She thinks to all the conscious flirting she'd done and how she'd been the first to make a move and she can't help but acknowledge that maybe a part of her did want it to happen. Not that it had anything to do with wanting the satisfaction of bedding Cecelia's ex. She wasn't that spiteful. She'd had her own selfish reasons, reasons that seemed so out of character.

Niall, strolls over to where Romee's sat on her bed, plopping down beside her still figure.

"So, you two were two horny adults who needed to get each other off. What's so bad about that? Was he bad in bed? Did you scream David's name or somethin'?"

Romee scoffs, running a hand through her tresses.

"Ugh, God no. But that's just the thing," she sighs, "I don't want him to think this has anything to do with David and especially not Cecelia. I don't want him to think that I was trying to throw some type of pity party for us both. Like I was trying to make some Lonely Hearts Club porno or something,"

Niall snorts in laughter as he watches his friend ramble and Romee sighs in frustration.

"You realize ya make zero sense right now,"

She chews at her bottom lip.

"That night at the pub he told me that his whole identity was wrapped in his relationship with Cecelia. I don't want him to think that that's all I think of him as, Cecelia's ex and just some boy who's had his heart broken by the same people who broke mine,"

And Romee had her own reservations. She didn't want Harry to think she was some lonely, pathetic girl who's pants he could get into with the right amount of bourbon.

"Well, do ya like 'im?

Romee thinks of his beautiful jade eyes and his dimpled, lopsided grin and his warm personality.

"He's charming and sweet and attractive but I - yes," she admits

"C'mon Romee, yer a smart girl." Niall grins. "Communication! "

He plucks the black dress out of her closet and thrust it into her arms.

" After five months of moanin' about David and you've finally found someone you like? Don't be daft, Ro. Go to that wedding and tell 'im how you feel,"

A genuine grin spreads across her face for the first time in days.

"What would I do without you, Nialler?"

****

Harry had been waiting for Romee outside the venue with great uncertainty. He hadn't seen or heard from her since that night and he wasn't sure if she'd even show up.

He wasn't even sure if he'd ever seen her again.

He knew he should have called when he discovered she was gone the next morning but he never worked up the nerve. Maybe that had been the way she'd wanted it. Maybe she was just looking to blow off some steam, to prove she was officially over her ex and he was the only available person. Maybe she wasn't meant to be more than a fleeting part of his life.

Harry keeps his eyes fixed on the cabs and stopping outside the hotel. He'd likely ruined his hair by running his hands through it so much and the tie he was wearing was very constricting around his neck. The nuptials were set to start in barely ten minuets and he was strongly considering going home. He didn't see the point in going if he'd have to go alone.

"Waiting for someone?" A familiar voice pops up, reaching his thoughts.

Romee steps out of the cab as gracefully as possible, smiling at Harry who stands on the curb, dressed smartly and despite his frazzled disposition looked quite handsome. He returns the smile with a dimpled grin of his own.

"I didn't think you'd come," his words come out in a rushed, icy puff.

She runs her hands against her dress nervously.

"And miss out on this once in a life time opportunity? C'mon. It's freezing out here and we'll miss the bride's entrance if we stay out here any longer,"

With that she grabs hold of his hand, hoping to avoid the conversation she knows is burning at the tip of their tongues for just a little bit longer.

By the time Romee and Harry arrived the bridal march had already begun. The room was filled with a handful of people, some of which they both identified as mutual friends of their respective exes. They'd managed to grab a couple of seats in the back of the crowd, the perfect place to get the perfect view of the bride as she made her entrance.

Cecelia strolls down the aisle with a wide, bleached smile,clutching the bouquet of honeysuckles to her chest. Her make up is carefully and beautifully done enchanting her features perfectly and she looks nearly angelic in the long, pale pink gown, only Harry and Romee know she's anything but an angel.

"She looks lovely," Harry whispers, leaning over so only she can hear.

Romee feels a knot of insecurity building in her stomach. She'd never envied Cecelia but she'd always felt a bit of intimidation. She was very obviously beautiful and Romee could easily see why Harry had gone for her in the first place and as painful as it was, why David would dump her for her. Sometimes, she wished Cecelia wasn't so gorgeous.

They watch silently as David and Cecilia exchange vows and rings at the alter, both Harry and Romee watching with bored eyes. Once they've kissed and been pronounced husband and wife, Romee lets out a sigh of relief. The remaining guest follow the bride and groom to the reception hall and Romee and Harry stay right in their seats, needing a moment to catch their breath. There's something so strange and surreal about being there, both of them watching the people they once thought they'd spend their lives with walk down the aisle together.

"Well," Harry sighs, standing to his feet. "the most boring part of that is over. Whada you say we grab some cake and throw some shapes before we give our wishes to the bride and groom?"

A small grin settles on her lips as she takes Harry hand once more. The party is in full swing, David and Cecilia already on the dance floor and guest already diving into the hors d'oeurves.

"D'you want some champagne? Maybe somethin' to eat?"

Her stomach flutters with butterflies at the feeling of his hand on the small of her back and she only nods silently. As she waits for Harry, Romee makes herself comfortable at a table, taking a moment to contemplate their future. He'd been the perfect gentleman all night and didn't seem to be cross about her leaving. It was almost as if nothing had ever happened and Romee couldn't decide if she should be relieved or worried.

"I don't know what all you like, so I got a little bit of everything,"

"Thanks," she smiles graciously upon his return.

Harry takes a seat across from her with a plate of his own picking up a cucumber sandwich but not being particularly interested.

"I don't know if I told you, but you look really lovely tonight," he drawls breaking the silence between them.

Romee sighs.

"Harry, I think we've got to talk, yeah?"

His jade eyes meet hers and the words get caught in her throat.

"You left so soon,"

"I know," she replies, fiddling with her fork "and I'm embarrassed and sorry. I just,panicked,"

Another sigh escapes her.

" I don't just hook up with anybody. Not that you're just anybody.It's just- I didn't want you to think I was having pity on you because you got dumped or I was just using you. And I don't want you to think I'm just, easy or that any of this was just about getting in your pants. I'm not like that and I don't think you're like that even though I hardly know anything about you. At least, I hope not because- oh, you do understand, don't you?"

The words don't come out the way she wants them to and she silently curses herself.

His large hand finds it's way on top of her free one.

"Of course I understand. Completely,"

Her eyes fall to the site of their touching hands and a sigh of relief escapes her.

"Romee? Is that you?"

The familiar deep voice causes her to tear her gaze away from Harry. A small smirk adorns her lips as she comes face to face with Mr. & Mrs. Infidelity. The look of shock on David's face is enough to make the both of them die with laughter and Cecelia nervously clings to hims arm, staring at them with a subtle disbelief.

"David!" Romee grins. "Long time, no see yeah? And don't you look sharp? Last time I saw you you were wearing that rag, what's her name again?"

A scowl settles on Cecelia's face.

"Nice to see you again, Cecelia," Harry speaks politely.

She only rolls her eyes in response.

"What are you doing here?" David asks, incredulously.

Romee tosses her long hair over her shoulder.

"Harry and I thought we'd stop by and give our best wishes to the bride and groom,"

Cecelia scoffs.

"You two came here t-together?"

It's Harry's turn to speak.

"Why yes, we did," he grins, grabbing hold of Romee's manicured hand. "and we wanted to thank you all. If you hadn't dumped us, we never would've met each other and realized how great we are and how undeserving you two are,"

Romee grins.

"Isn't it amazing? Everyone gets their just desserts in the end. One man's trash can be another man's treasure," she glances over at Cecelia. "and sometimes, trash is just.. trash,"

Harry flashes his dimpled grin, admiring Romee's quick wit.

"Well," Romee reaches for her champagne glass and Harry follows suit. "here's to the bride and groom. I wish you every happiness and real orgasms,"

"Cheers," he drawls.

With that they clink their glasses together, the feeling of accomplishment swelling in their chest. The first sip of champagne taste just like victory.

When David and Cecelia have stomped off to their other guest, Romee let's out a full bellied laugh, the kind that makes her head roll back and the corner of her eyes crinkle in bliss. It's the first time she's really, truly laughed in months and Harry can't think of a moment she's looked more beautiful.

"I feel like a queen. A full blooded royalty!" she grins.

"You should," Harry smiles. "you were fucking brilliant,"

Romee picks at the pasta on her plate before standing to her feet.

" You know what this moment needs? A victory dance! How about throwing those shapes?"

Before she can pull him on the dance floor, she runs over to the dj's booth. She excitedly returns when the first few cords of a very familiar song fills the room.

"Let's dance,"

At first, I was afraid, I was petrified

Kept thinking, I could never live without you by my side

But then I spent so many nights thinking, how you did me wrong

And I grew strong and I learned how to get along

Harry grins as she dramatically belts out the lyrics, twirling around him. Both of them try and fail to keep time with the fast paced disco song but they're having far too good of a time and feeling much to on top of the world to really care about how they looked. The upbeat song soon fades into a slow one and both Harry and Romee are relieved to have a moment to catch their breath. As a few couples make their way to the dancefloor ,Harry arms make their way around her waist and Romee presses her head to his strong chest. As their bodies sway, the music and the people seem to disappear and Romee realizes she just can't let something like this go.

"Did you mean what you said?" she whispers, tearing herself away from his chest so that she can get a better look at him.

Harry is so comfortable and lost in the moment that he almost doesn't hear her.

"What I said? About what?"

"About how you were glad we were dumped. Because then you'd never have met me,"

Harry grins down at her.

"Of course I meant that. Meeting you's the most exciting thing that's happened to me in awhile, "

She bites the corner of her lip, grinning slowly.

"I'm glad I met you, too. I fancy you a lot,"

"I fancy you, too. A lot,"

Besides finally getting the greatest revenge on David and Cecelia, this is by far the best thing to happen to her tonight.

"I was hoping, maybe we could have a do over. Take things nice and steady, yeah?" Harry drawls.

Romee grins.

"I'd like that. I'd like that a lot,"

He flashes that dimpled grin, causing the butterflies to swarm once more.

" 'M gonna take you out on a proper date. The first real one you'll have in a while. No pubs and no Ikea trips, jus' you and me. I've only got one reservation,"

Romee bites the corner of her lip.

"And what's that?"

"Promise me we won't spend the night talkin' about our exes, yeah?"

She laughs.

"I promise. We're so over them,"

As they resume swaying to the music Romee can't help but think of how funny life can be and that having a broken heart is never the end of the world.