Set Sail

I can be your daddy

JAMES ☆ MARKINSON

The whole gang’s not even here yet and I already feel fucking weird. Granted, Nat (and her dad, again wtf??) and Mick came early to help set up – as in Nat set up and Mick brought beer – and I can just feel Nat’s uncomfortableness rolling off her and fuck woman, I love you and all but you need to fucking chill. Wait. She’s right next to me. I can tell her this.

“Woman, I love you and all but you need to fucking chill.”

Nat turns to glare at me. She’s looking pretty nice in a tight top and jeans, a departure from the old Natty boo we’re used to. Melbourne made her cool. Who knew that was possible?

“I’m fine, thank you,” Nat huffs. “Cool as a fucking cucumber.”

Mick snorts and hands her a beer. “Maybe have this first and then decide if you’re cool or not.”

Nat gives him the finger but takes a swig anyways, making a face. “How you guys can drink this stuff is beyond me.”

I shrug. “If you don’t want it, I’ll finish it.”

Nat shakes her head. “I need this more than you do, Markinson.”

Her words can’t be any truer since guess who has walked into my backyard but none other than Carey himself, with his mate Max that I used to play soccer with. I glance at Nat, who looks calm but I know that she’s freaking out because hello, classic Nat behaviour. Not sure why she looks nervous since she saw him the other day but I’m going to guess it has something to do with the “overwhelming sexual tension”, as Josh so gently put it. “Chill, Fader. You look hot. Let him freak out over you for once.”

“Yeah,” Mick nods in agreement. “Or go up to him and get it over with so we don’t have to deal with you and your nerves.”

Nat snorts but she gives Mick a smirk before strutting off to say hello to Josh.

“That’s our girl,” I say affectionately, a hand over my heart. “Speaking of girls, when are the rest coming?”

Mick laughs. “Nat said the girls from school are rocking up soon, but I’m not sure about the rest of the uh…oh, shit.”

I look at him only to notice where he’s looking and ah, shit. Colton and Georgia come in first, hand in hand but I almost don’t even notice because there’s a WOMAN behind her, like a grown ass Georgia lookalike but not really because this chick is all legs and ass and in little shorts and wow who is this fine ass beauty that is BLESSING up my life right now. Like legit who is she, I need to know now.

But of course, this is all pointless information for me to ask about some random chick because now that Colton and G are here, shit’s gonna go haywire. I can feel it. Also, Nat’s stopped flirting with Josh as they’ve both noticed our newest arrivals and with the paled look on Mick’s face, I can tell that he’s noticed them too. Thankfully, not many people have arrived yet to see this go down because I know, I mean I know some dramatic ass scene is about to play out even though my friends aren’t really like that. It’s all about privacy and closed doors things with them. Except for the time that Nat shouted at Mick in front of everyone at G’s house for hurting Josh and being a homophobic douchebag which to be honest he totally deserved. But that isn’t the focus now. The focus is Colton and G and who do I greet first???

“James!” Georgia runs up and throws her arms around me. She’s looking great in a tight dress that maximises the little (but not any less great than Nat or the hottie behind her or anyone in general really, I’m not about to compare her to no girl because G is one of a kind) (okay I’ve gone on a tangent what’s new) curves she has. Wait. Am I allowed to think that? Or will Colton stop being friends with me too? “So glad you’re home.”

“Ah yes,” I say dryly even though I’m happy to see her. “So I can talk to Colton about you not getting fucked in weeks?”

Oops, wasn’t supposed to let that come out of my mouth. I’ve been hanging around Nat for too long.

Georgia pulls away and groans. “Did Josh tell you that?”

I snort and instead of answering, grin at Colton instead. Thank god we’re cool. “My man.”

Colton snorts but doesn’t hesitate to greet me in a bro hug. You know the one. We hug without really hugging, but there’s a definitely a level of emotional intimacy that comes significantly less than when you hug a girl. But it’s still nice.

“How are you?” Colton asks. “How long are you back for? Want to get a drink tomorrow?”

Usually at this point G would tell Colton off for asking so many questions since I’ve just come back (well not just, but I’ve only been here for a few days) or she’d slap his arm and make a sarcastic comment or say something but she hasn’t said a thing. Which is so weird and unlike Georgia, by the way. Is that how different things are between them? She can’t even be herself without Colton freaking out?

Apparently I’m not the only one who’s noticed this exchange since now Mick and Nat are standing together, Josh just watching from the sidelines with Max which to be honest I wouldn’t mind being there right now because goddamnit I’m the fucking glue that holds this group together. Also he’s not a part of the OG. So y’know.

“Six weeks,” I tell him. “I might be busy tomorrow, though. Haven’t hung out with Joe since I’ve been back so you know. Brotherly duties and all.”

This is a lie – I do not actually have plans with Joe, but I have a feeling that Colton’s going to dump his problems onto me and don’t get me wrong, I want to help and get the gang back together but I’m probably going to be drinking a whole lot tonight and the last thing I want to do is listen to someone else’s problems when I’m hungover as fuck. Like sorry man. No can do.

Colton nods, and for a second I think he looks odd until I realise he’s scratching the back of his head sheepishly. “Sorry, by the way, for uh, not keeping in contact as much I should’ve. No excuses, I’ve been an ass.”

Now only if he could extend that apology to G and Mick.

Nonetheless, I appreciate his apology and extend a hand for him to shake. “No worries man,” I reply. “Now, do you want a beer or a –” I’m interrupted by the arrival of Mick and Nat, as in, they’ve now decided to stand with me rather than watching intensely from a distance. I’m surprised Nat wants to be this close to G or Mick to Colton but I guess it had to happen sooner rather than later.

Mick makes the first move, seeing as Nat has her arms crossed and is looking at the ground. Georgia, the usual fearless one, is mirroring her movements, which is so weird to see but I guess that goes to show how different things are now. “Ruster,” Mick acknowledges, nodding his head towards Colton before turning to Georgia. “Hey, G.”

Mick rarely calls Colton by his surname so it’s odd he’s doing it now, never mind the fact that he’s treating G normally as if nothing ever happened. Which I know is what he intended for but still. It’s weird.

Colton looks at Mick, and man, if looks could kill, Mick would okay, he wouldn’t be dead but he’d probably be seriously injured. Instead, he looks at Nat and greets her with a hug, surprising all of us.

Well I guess it’s not that much of a surprise since Nat and Colton are friends, but it feels odd since no one else is really being all huggy and shit. Man, a drink right about now would be fucking great.

“Good to see you,” Nat says with a small smile. And in a surprising turn of events, she turns to G and gives her a nod of acknowledgement. Which is far more than what Colton gave Mick. I mean, a “hey” would have been nice. Or a hug. Or at least some acknowledgement that goes past an awkward hello but since their friendship is so not there yet, I’m glad that at least something happened. Even it was just a fucking nod.

You can tell G is surprised with the way that her eyebrows raise but she does the nod back to Nat – which again, super weird since G talks as much as Nat does – but I don’t say anything. I don’t even know what to say, at this point.

“Hey Nat!” The girl, sorry, woman I mentioned seeing earlier has now decided to properly grace us with her presence, for which I couldn’t be more thankful. Someone needs to break this awkward tension now that we’ve all said hello, lmao.

Nat’s eyebrows perk up and for once, actually has a smile on her face. Well, not for once, but around G it’s been a while since she’s smiled and wow Nat’s dramatic antics are really rubbing off on me. “Violet? What are you doing here?”

Violet. The sexy ass blonde woman has a name. Violet. I’m intrigued. Scratch that. I’m in awe. I am in deep lust. And yeah, granted she’s the first woman I’ve seen besides Nat and G (well not really, I’ve seen a few since I’ve been home and they’ve all been lovely) but no one who looks like this. Like a fucking model but not tall enough (but I love me an average height girl) (I love all women really this mans does not discriminate), finally someone I can throw round and pick up but also not so short that I have to bend over my whole back just to kiss her. You know. A good height. And like I said earlier, all legs but as I can see as she hugs Nat, she has a nice ass that really fills out her jeans and – I glance at Mick to see whether he’s noticed and he has, well, he’s noticed me looking at her and he’s smirking. Of course he is. But I soon realise why when I glance at Georgia and she’s smirking too. I’m about to roll my eyes but I refrain. Of course.

“Here for the wedding,” Violet explains, confusion settling over her cute scrunched up nose. Wow. I need to cool myself. “Helping out with wedding prep and all.”

“Oh it’s still on?” Nat blurts out and it only takes all of us a few seconds before the awkwardness of what Nat’s said sets in. Good one, Nat.

“Yeah, it is,” Georgia says. “Which you would know if-” I’m not sure why she’s stopped herself, but ah she’s back to crossing her arms again and looking at the ground. This behaviour is so unlike her. It’s causing me too much of a headache.

“This is a lot,” I say finally, unable to sit in the awkward tension for any longer. “A lot of tension. A lot of awkwardness. Not that I didn’t expect it or anything, because I did, but damn guys, I thought you’d all be a lot better than this.” I give them all looks bar Violet, because she’s done nothing wrong but sashay her way into my house and hopefully onto my penis.

(I know I know. I’m disgusting. Sue me.)

“Idk man,” Josh pipes up. He has a drink in hand and he’s a lightweight, so I know whatever dumb thing he’s going to say is going to undeniably make the situation worse. “Everyone loves me so I’m happy.” Nat raises an eyebrow, and when he hears that, he keeps going. “Well except Nat. But you know, we’ll see what happens.”

When no one says anything, I snort. “Wow. You guys all suck.” And with that, I turn around and make my way inside the house because everyone loves a dramatic ass exit, right?

♡♡♡


The party is in full swing and I’m about four beers in, which usually would result in a strong buzz. But instead, I’m mildly feeling it since I’ve been eating almost all of the food Nat’s dad has been graciously cooking for us. I’m not exactly sure why he decided to rock up to mine in the first place, but he is friends with my mum so I guess it makes sense. Speaking of, I could do with some more food.

“Hey Nat.” I see her coming down the stairs with a strange expression on her face. What’s up with her? She looks like she’s going to chuck. Or maybe I just feel like I’m going to. Maybe I’m more drunk than I thought. “Have you seen your dad?”

“I wish I’d never seen him in the first place,” she mutters.

I raise an eyebrow. “Huh?”

“Uh,” she makes a face. “Never mind. What’s up?”

“I want more food,” I announce. “You can cook things, right? Put shit on the barbie?”

Nat giggles and leads me towards the kitchen. “Yes sir.” To my delight, the new lust of my life that we now know as Violet is in there, sipping on a beer no doubt. She’s a beer drinker. Wow. I am in love already.

“This is Violet, by the way,” Nat introduces us. “G – uh, Georgia’s cousin. V, this is James. Man of the hour.”

Violet smiles at me and it takes all of me not to melt into a puddle of Jesus fucking Christ. “With the way you handled things back there, I’d say man is correct.”

This is where I’d smirk and give her a one-liner – something charming and witty and sure to make her fall in love with me – but I’m frozen. It’s as if all the cogs in my brain have stopped working and have no intention of working together any time soon and yeah cheers, brain. This ain’t a good time.

“James is good at that.” Thank you Nat for the bottom of my fucking heart for saving me here, wow. Like I mean that so genuinely because where?? Did?? My?? Brain?? Go?? ”I’d never admit this if he was sober but he’s definitely the most mature out of the group. Once you get past the dumb shit he does, I mean.”

I blow Nat a kiss. “Thanks Natty boo.” I take it back. No thanks for her. “That was real nice of you.”

She laughs. “You know what I mean. The inappropriate comments. The unrealistic ways of you thinking that you’re going to be able to fix Mick and Colton’s friendship. Don’t give me that look, I heard you in the bathroom giving yourself a pep talk when I came over.” This girl is making me look more worse by the minute. Hopefully Violet thinks it’s charming and not embarrassing. “It’s sweet though. You’re sweet.”

“Awwwww,” I say, grabbing Nat and pulling her into a hug so tight she’ll be struggling to breathe. Which is my point, by the way, considering she’s said a mix of both not so flattering things and flattering things. Nat doesn’t compliment me often, or ever, so it’s nice to hear her say this kinda stuff about me. Even if I am drunker than I thought. “Natty boo.”

“Fuck off,” she growls, but she’s hugging me back and it’s nice. “I can turn this round real quick on you again, y’know.”

With that, I relax my grip on her and bid her farewell. “Thanks for cooking for me Nat!”

She laughs as she leaves the kitchen and to my delight Violet is still there, watching our antics.

“Is what Nat said true?” Her face lights up. “About your unrealistic ways of you wanting to fix Mick and Colton’s friendship?”

I nod. Conversation that’s not related to flirting seems to be fine for me right now, especially since it’s not about me anymore. Well, sort of. “And Georgia and Colton’s. And obviously G and Nat. The way this group is going is seriously fucked up. Why do you think I’m here?”

She smiles devilishly. “The chance to meet me?”

“The pleasure is all mine.” I mean for that to come out sarcastically, but it doesn’t, because to be honest Violet is not only hot but funny and seems cool. So far. If she’s anything like her cousin she’ll be a little crazy and I am more than down for that. She can be my naughty girl and I can be her daddy and god why did I say that and why am I also into this? Being in the army has got me all kinds of fucked up. “Why do you ask about them?”

“Why do you think I’m here?” She echoes. “Look, I was just happy to be a bridesmaid but when G called me in a panic and asked if I could take over being maid of honour, I knew something was more than wrong. She hasn’t even told me why G and Nat stopped talking.”

My mouth drops. “You don’t know?”

She shakes her head. “What happened between them?”

It’s not my place to say anything and it’s definitely not any of my business but I’m going to need backup on this mission and I’ll need all the extra help I can get.

“Georgia kissed Mick.”
♠ ♠ ♠
dun DUN D U N

(did you really think I disappeared and would forget about this story? THINK AGAIN HUNS)