Open Your Eyes

We're Not Children Anymore

I didn't speak to James in the days that passed; and it made things a tad bit uncomfortable among the group. Sirius and I continued our tutoring sessions, thankfully without any interruptions. I loved watching the boy progress and do better with his studies. There were some days that Remus would sit in on our study sessions; helping occasionally, but spent most of the time studying.

Today, however, was not one of those days. Sirius and I were sitting alone at the table in the library. He had his nose stuck in a slightly advanced book for History of Magic, while I was looking over the brief test I had given him. It covered everything we had been working on in our study sessions. Exams were now only three months away. We had been working so hard, and we still have so much to do before we were ready for them. "You're doing really great, Sirius." I smiled, handing the now graded test back across the table to him.

"You really think we'll be ready in time?" He had a large smile on his face as he looked over the papers I had handed him. "I knew you'll be ready in time. You're going to pass your exams with flying colors." I smiled.

Nodding his head, he released a sigh as he sat the parchment down on the table in front of us. "So, are you ever going to tell Remus how you feel about him?" Sirius had a smirk on his lips as he looked at me. I could feel my muscles tense and my body all but froze. The quill fell out of my hand and landed on the table in front of me. "And what, exactly, are you talking about?" I spoke, clearing my throat.

Laughing ever so slightly, Sirius leaned back in his chair before crossing his arms over his chest. "Oh, don't try to play dumb with me. You smile and blush whenever he talks to you. When he's around, you always glance at him every few seconds. You look at him like he's the greatest thing to ever walk the earth." Sirius smirked. I really wasn't sure how I was supposed to react to that. "Will you please just be quiet." I hissed, quickly turning my head to see if anyone had over heard him. "Oh, so I'm not wrong. I knew I sensed something budding there." He was just so cocky, it showed in moments like these.

No wonder he was able to get along with James so well. "Shut up! There's no budding, nothing there! The boy barely realizes that I exist." I scoffed picking the quill up off of the table. Dipping the tip of the quill into the ink, I quickly began jotting down notes on the parchment in front of me.

Shaking his head, Sirius leaned forward and rested his arms on the table. "Oh come on, he knows you exist. Remus just has some issues- you've just got to give him some time." He spoke with a sigh. His voice was just so confident, like he knew exactly what he was talking about. Which, I guess he did know what he was talking about since he's been friends with Remus since long before I ever knew any of them.

"What kind of issues?" I couldn't stop myself from asking. The words had left my lips before I was even able to consider the consequences. Before Sirius could even start to consider answering my latest question, the library doors burst open and McGonagall came rushing into the library. Her eyes found me, and she quickly made her way over to where I was sitting- her robes billowing behind her in the force of wind her movements had created.

"Miss Moon, an urgent letter for you was just delivered to the head master." She breathed out, holding an envelope out to me. I immediately recognized my mothers hand writing on the envelope, and I snatched it out of her hand. It was obvious by her rapid breathing that she had been sent to find my as quickly as possible, and the already open letter told me that it was of upmost importance. I ripped into the envelope, worried about what the words inside were going to tell me once my eyes landed on the parchment.

My hands began to shake as I read the words my mother had written. I felt light headed, like I wasn't able to breathe, my hand came up and clutched to the front of my shirt. "Ames, what's going on?" Sirius' voice echoed from somewhere beside me. I couldn't bring myself to tear my eyes away from the parchment.

"Ames?" Sirius questioned me, this time stepping forward and placing his hand on my shoulder ever so lightly. Immediately, I jerked my body away from his touch, and turned around to look at the boy who was standing next to me. "Don't call me that, don't you ever call me that!" I shouted at the boy as tears welled up in my eyes.

By this point, everyone in the library had turned to watch the scene that was unfolding. "Amery, I don't understand.What's going on?" Sirius questioned me once more, his eyes searching my own for some kind of answer. Professor McGonagall stepped between the two of us, her back facing Sirius as she reached out to me softly.

"He didn't do anything wrong- how could they do such a thing? He didn't do anything!" I was screaming now as tears began rolling down my cheeks. Moving quickly, McGonagall put her arm around me, and pulled me into her side. "Shh, child. Come with me now, the Headmaster would like to speak with you." Keeping her arm around me, she lead me out of the library just as classes dismissed.I still had my mothers letter clutched tightly in my fingers. I could feel the eyes of the people who were watching us rather closely as we walked through the castle hallways.

At one point, I even noticed Remus among the crowd as we walked. The look in his eye, however, was different from the looks that everyone else was giving me. Everyone else just seemed interested in what gossip was going to stem from this. The look in Remus' eyes was different- something about the way he was watching me made it seem like he was genuinely worried.

Our eyes met for only a brief moment before I had walked too far away from him.

I kept my eyes forward after that, I could already hear the whispers that were starting to spread through the student body as we walked through the castle. Just another one of those days where I wish I could disappear completely.

Just as Professor McGonagall said, Headmaster Dumbledore was waiting for our arrival in his office. He was standing just in front of his desk. I had never been inside of his office before, I was almost surprised to see how much stuff he was able to pack into one room. Granted, it wasn't exactly a small room, and it could have definitely been enchanted- just like the rest of the castle had been.

"As, Miss Moon, thank-you for taking time out of your busy schedule to come visit with me, however tragic the reasons behind our visit." Dumbledore was completely calm as I approached him. Professor McGonagall did not follow me into the office, instead she closed the door and I assume she walked away. Leaving me alone with the Headmaster, sniffling and crying like a small child without their favorite toy. "I don't understand what's going on, why's all this happening?" I sniffled, wiping my eyes.

The Headmaster stood in front of me, acting as if nothing was wrong. "Miss Moon, I would like to tell you a story about a young boy that I used to know. He's done many terrible things. Marvelous yes, but terrible. His name is Tom. Tom Riddle went to school here, just as you do now- and he is the reason you are standing in front of me today." He was so calm as he spoke to me. I still didn't completely understand what exactly was going on around me. "Yes, I know the name, I've heard it before; but what I don't understand is what he has to do with any of what's going on." I pointed out.

It was in this moment that his whole demeanor changed as he stepped towards me.

"Tom Riddle goes by another name now, one I'm sure will be known widely through the wizarding community one day. He is the reason for your grief." There was something in his eyes as he spoke, some kind of look.

It was pity. At least I think it was.

"But I don't understand! What does he have to do with this? What does he have to do with my father being killed?!" I was now shouting at the headmaster- unable to control my emotions any longer. The words burnt the back of my throat, actually saying it was unnatural. I just wanted to understand what happened- why did it have to happen? Sighing, Dumbledore took another step towards me, his face changing once more. "Your father was a very powerful wizard. One Riddle would have wanted fighting along beside him- Riddle wouldn't hesitate to dispose of your father if he refused him too many times." He told me.

It seemed like with every clarifying comment he made, I became more and more confused. None of this was making any sense to me. "Fighting along side him for what? What's there to fight?" I scoffed. I just wanted to not be confused any more. I want to understand what's going on.

Turning around, Headmaster Dumbledore took a few steps away from me; but didn't bother turning around to look at me before speaking. "There are dark times ahead Miss Moon; best we all prepare ourselves before they arrive." He sounded cheerful again, like nothing was wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's been so long Dx