Status: Am trying to be as quick as possible on updates

The Winter Master

The Intruder

"Grandpa." Looking up from my book I find my beautiful granddaughter Tia standing in the entryway to living room, a troubled look on her face.
"Whats wrong Tia"
"The police scanner just said a group of hikers are missing in the canyon." She says playing with the choker I gave her when she was a child.
"Its probably nothing my dear." I reply reassuringly then glance back to my book.
'The tents are shredded and a body was found. From the chatter I'm hearing some of her flesh was ripped from bone."
A pleading look crosses her face and I realize she is worried for her father. My grandson Dante Pierce is the Sheriff of this town; a good man and great father to Tia. Her mother passed after her birth so she was definitely a daddies girl.
He's more than likely out there helping the rescue workers and keeping everyone in line.
Placing the silk book marker in between the pages of the book I drop it on the coffee table and stand.
"I'll look into it Tia." I brush past her and head to the foyer to grab my boots . To you these events would be bear not event a cougar attack but when your a Master Wendigo you tend to deal a lot of Lesser Wendigo infringing on your territory.
In all actuality I was due for one to show up snarling and clicking their claws hoping to get a territory of their own. They always ended up in pieces in a hole up high on the mountain. Somewhere no one will ever find them.
This seems like a bear but if it puts Tia at ease I'll look into it plus the book Tia got me is just down right boring so a stealth mission around the forest may be fun.
"You alright Grandpa." She asks handing over my favorite leather jacket.
"Yes sweetheart. Like I said I'll check it out. Tell your father to be alert OK." I say pulling my coat on. Tia nods smiling softly as I place a kiss on her cheek.
"Ill be home for dinner." I say taking off into the dense green forest behind our home. The smell of the wild hits me making it easier to concentrate. It adds to the experience moving at such a speed through the forest. The feel of the wind on my cold skin. The sounds of the forest, an elk calling for a mate, a lone wolf a few miles to the north howling for its pack.

About six miles from our house I start to hear the sounds of my grandsons police officers searching for the remaining hikers. Stopping behind a tall pine I tilt my head back and scent the area. the sent of death and bad blood permeate the air in a think potent fog.
Another scent lingers among st the others, its smells young but I cant tell if its one of the hikers or one of the rescue workers.
Tentatively walk down am overgrown path that leads to an old mine the pale faces abandoned in the forties. The place was a literal death trap so no willing human would go there although its a perfect place for one of my kind.

A scream tears through the forest startling flock of birds out of the trees. The scream sounds like a woman high pitched and terrified.
Bolting in the direction of the scream I notice the scent getting stronger the closer I get. It's male females don't have such a musky scent the distinct stench of death lingers on him. He is still slightly human but also Wendigo maybe turned recently enough to smell human.
"Someone help me!
My entire body hums with the need to hunt but i push it down and wait. My kind are notorious for mimicry a useful tool to get humans closer to you.
"Some help." A disheveled girl appears around a tree her yoga pants, hoodie and boots are ripped covered in blood and dirt. She clearly had been fighting for her life her arms are cut, blood flowing freely and a gash on her throat like someone had tried to strangle her. Stepping up behind a pine tree I watch her stumble in the direction of my grandson as a roar shatters the eerie silence of the forest. She yelps and tumbles clearly afraid of the owner of the roar, regaining her footing she scrambles into a bush and goes quite.
"Good girl." I mumble looking around waiting for the invader to show himself. A few breaths later a young man comes out from behind a tree. He looks like he could be one of the hikers torn and bloody clothes, dirty matted black hair. But when he turns I see a pale blood soaked face, claws and white eyes that glint in hunger. An inhuman screech passes through his deadly fanged mouth and feel a pang of sorrow for this boy. I know all too well how The Hunger feels the insatiable need for flesh under your claws and blood in your mouth. His young life taken by such a cruel master as The hunger.
But I can not allow him to live on normal circumstances this kill would be his but he has taken up residence on my territory. He is a genuine threat to my granddaughter and grandson and that i cannot allow. Creeping along the trees I make a beeline for his back.
The young Wendigo roars again and i see he girl flinch but stay quite otherwise. That doesn't man he doesn't know she's there.
A malicious grin forms and he starts making his way towards her. Sprinting forward i slam into his back wrapping my arms around his middle effectively pinning his arms at his side as we slam into the ground. If I were human the force would have knocked the wind out of me and jarred my shoulder.
I think I have him in a good grip then he starts flailing wildly managing to stick his claws in my thigh. Snarling I squeeze until I hear his ribs start to break.
Instead of making him weaker I only seem to piss him off and make him stronger because a second later he breaks my grip slashing my shoulder open. He bolts back into the trees, standing quickly I give chase.

For a second I think about the girl but with me on his tail she should be safe for now.
es damn fast I'll give him that. Little bastard takes turns like a damn sports car.
"Damn Wendigo Lamborghini." I snap as we take another bend heading towards the Reservation.
"Wait! They have a barrier that will plant him on his ass. By the way all this running I'snt good for old people." Tia says in my head a light tone of playfulness. Tia has the gift of Telepathy. She ca be inside anyone's head at any time no matter where they are. We discovered this when she was just a little girl, her father had been nervous about it but with careful teaching she mastered her ability. her favorite person to tlk to telepathically is me.
"That will work. They keep tabs on the symbols yes?" I say barely missing a fallen pine tree on the path wee blazing down.
"Absolutely. Why?"
"Cause I'm gonna run him into them like you said. That's why."
"Yeah but you would have to herd him there." She says pausing for a moment. "But grandpa he may be able to sense them like you meaning he won't be so willing."
"Like you said sweetheart . Herd him." I say picking up speed moving to position myself alog his right flank.
Slowly but surely I have him on a course to the barrier I slow just enough to avoid the barrier myself and not look suspicious.
The young one looks over his shoulder then all the sudden an eruption of sparks lights the area up, stopping I shield my eyes from the light.
"Tia it worked." I say as I try to clear my spotted vision with the palms of my hands.
"Is he okay."
Looking up I see him laying a few feet away his clothes steaming slightly. Stomping over to him i push against his ribs with my foot, a whimper escapes him but he doesn't move to attack.
"He's banged up probably really sore but that doesn't matter since I'm gonna put him down." I say wrapping a hand around his throat and dragging him up onto his knees. A scared but hopeful look comes across his dirty face.
"Cant you let him live." A hint of sadness in her voice. Tia always asks me to let them live but she knows deep down they are not like me. They have no control or desire to be in control so death is their only savior .
"Tia-"
"Please. Don't kill me."
Looking down i find the boys eyes are no longer white but bright green and staring up at me tears falling down his cheek his face looking more human as well.
"Please. Please don't kill me." His voice sounds broken and raw. His voice stirs something in me and for some reason i feel myself relax a bit my anger subsiding.
"Tia get the middle bedroom ready and get a shirt and pants for him." I say putting a pressure point on his throat until he passes out.
What the hell is going on here.