‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

Prologue

Tic tock, tick tock

The clock that is mounted on the walls disrupts my thinking.

Drip, drip, drip

So does the water that won't stop dripping from the faucet. I could have sworn I shut that off like six times already.

I hear the door creak open from downstairs and someone begin to stumble in.

“Travis? Is that you?” I mutter, my voice coming out in barely a whisper.

I don't hear him call back to me, so I retreat from the couch I sit at and wander to the stairs just above the door. I see a shadow, it’s standing in the door frame. Its blackened eyes watching my every move.

It spots me.

I feel my heart racing fast in my chest as it begins its journey up the staircase towards me, I try to hide behind the door frame but it's far too late for that now.

“Help me.” It whispers, in a not so threatening tone, and I recognize the voice. Someone I thought I lost long ago, only to be found once again.

“Cecilia?”

She retreats from the shadows of which she hides, her face bloodied and bruised. She is covered in dirt, and her eyes look like she’s seen many of things she isn’t supposed to be seeing.

“He’s taken over, please help me! The city is not what it used to be, it’s not what it’s supposed to be.” She says this all to me in one giant breath, then suddenly her eyes widen; she looks fearful.

“Oh no, he knows I’ve left.” She bellows out, turning to leave the house once more. “I have to get back, before he comes for me. Please help me Delilah, please help us.”

I have no idea what is going on, I want to help but something inside me is making me stand in place. Unable to move, or say anything no matter how much I desire to. I am scared for her, I want to help.

Suddenly a loud booming rage of thunder roars throughout the sky, shaking the house along with it. My heart racing I open my mouth to scream but nothing comes out, and suddenly a figure is standing in the doorway. Reaching out for Cecilia.

Death's brother, Ravaria.

“Why have you escaped Cecilia, you know what happens to those who escape!” She is screaming now, as his large hands reach out to bring her back. Blood is streaming out of her eyes, and all I can do is stand and watch the torture happen. All I want is to stop it, to make it all go away.

“Keep quiet of what you seen Delilah, or you’ll be next.” His voice booms over to me from the bottom of the staircase, and in a flash of bright light and another roar of booming thunder they are both gone.

And I wake up.