‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

The Nightmare

TRAVIS POV

I'm walking fast through a silent forest, a never ending path ahead of me. I'm scared for my life, I'm being followed by a nightmare. I turn in fright and face the beast, it's glowing red eyes stopping my heart in my chest. Never have I seen anything such as this. Deliah turns down the path in front of me, I scream for her but nothing comes out. Everything around me is silent, the type of silence that only chaos can fix. The scene changes and suddenly I'm stranded in the middle of an island, surrounded by water flowing from all angles. I feel the cold of the night and the splash of the water hitting my skin, I shiver with agony as I look out for my savoir to come and rescue me. I feel scared, a type of scared I've never felt before. A type of scared I never want to feel again, I hear a soft cry from behind me and turn around to see Delilah huddled by the fire. She's freezing and the rain just continues to pour down. I walk over to her with mission in my stride, I take off my jacket and hand it to her. She smiles with thanks and throws it over herself and bends her legs up toward her chest to keep warm.

"When are they coming?" She asks in a scared pleading voice.

I whisper "I'm not sure" into her direction just as the thunder bellows and shakes the ground.

"No matter where you run, no matter where you hide I will find you no matter where you go!" I hear the voice of Raviera yell out from the sky loudly shaking the ground.

Delilah and I look at each other in fear and suddenly out of nowhere he appears with a flash of white light and runs towards Delilah with mission in his stance.

"Travis!!" She screams my name and suddenly her eyes turn black. I try to reach out and stop it all from happening but to no avail. They both disappear in that same flash of bright light.

Then I wake up.

(Delilah POV)

"I'm okay Travis, it was just a dream." I reassure him reaching out to stroke his hand as he is still huffing and trying to catch his breath from telling us all about the terrifying nightmare that broke through his mind.

"It felt... so real." He says, not certain of how to react. "I never dream ... so vividly."

"We have to go!" Erika says suddenly grabbing her jacket off of a chair and racing towards the stairs.

"What's going on?" Travis asks as we all race up the stairs and out into the dark abyss, I follow along behind them in the dark as Erika says nothing and runs as fast as she can down the path we came from and we reach the door of which we arrived in.

The door is gone, and in its place a mirror stands. We all look into the mirror at our reflections, and as I'm staring at myself my reflection alters and I turn into something that is not myself; both Erika and Travis disappear beside me and I am suddenly alone.

I look around me, and I find myself in the halls of my high school, I keep walking down the abandoned hall corridor. Alone, and in the dark. I turn and find myself at my old locker, confused at first but something inside of me is telling me to open the locker. I remember my old locker combination like the back of my hand, so I'm easily able to prop it open.

It is empty.

I stare confused into the empty locker, trying to figure out why I had opened the locker in the first place. I sigh deeply. As I'm about to close the locker and walk away, a notebook appears on the shelf. I reach out to grab it and it drops from my hands onto the ground, making a loud banging sound as it reaches the cold hard floor.

I bend down to pick it up, and It's finally in my hands. My heart is racing as I'm about to open the notebook, and I find myself scared for my life at the possible contents inside. There is nothing written on the first few pages, it takes me several pages to finally find any source of writing.

Go outside it says. I take a deep breath in and do as it instructs, and walk down the hallway of my high school and push the doors open to the outside world.

Everything is on fire, everything is in chaos, everything is falling down.

"What is this?" I whisper to no one in particular, but keep pressing on into the outside to try and find some sort of answers soon.

From the ashes a figure steps out, it is Death.

"What is going on?" I ask him, and he says nothing but ignores me. He can't hear me. I yell out to him, and still nothing.

He can't see me.

The notebook shakes in my hand, and more words appear on the page in front of me.

"Keep walking."

I do as it says, and I keep walking. With everything inside of me telling me to turn around and run, away from everything. But another voice in my mind telling me that I have to keep going, to see what happens next. To learn what it is I am meant to learn, and the reason as to why I am here, in this place and seeing all that I am to see.

The scene around me changes, from fire and chaos to a storm, everything covered in water, everything drowning in destruction. People running, and flying right through me, just as it was when I was in a coma. And getting away from their possible demise as fast as they can. Only to have the water swallow them whole.

Death emerges once again from the tides, he walks right past me once again, ignoring every scream and every cry I rang out to him. Not acknowledging me in even the slightest. Once again the notebook is shaking in my hands, and I look down at it.

"Almost there" It says and I scream in my loudest most, heart wrenching voice as I can find within me.

"ALMOST WHERE!"

I keep walking, away from the water that seems to have no effect on me and into a large valley. I sigh as I wonder what is coming next.

It's a tornado.

Ripping through the town, and tearing down everything in its way. People once again, screaming and running for their lives, away from the twister that threatens to sweep them away and into the abyss of nowhere.

A large tornado begins zooming through the skies, it rips through everything and everyone in its way. I feel the fear that everyone else does, I feel everything.

Death drops down from the tornado and finally approaches me.

He snaps his fingers and I find myself in a large room, a large echo less room. A table resides in the center, Death is sitting at the table. Travis on the left, and Erika on the right.

"That is what will happen, if the city of Dark angels breaks into reality. Only much worse than what I had showed you, that's only an estimate of what will happen. Delilah, you saw fire, water, and wind. Travis, I showed you electricity, bombs, and the dead rising. Erika, what you witnessed was asteroids, aliens, and extreme sickness. You are the only three left that can stop Raviera from taking over completely, you are the only three that have the ability to not be turned into dark angels, Raviera will soon be recruiting those of loss and sorrow in the real world to join the city of angels, and from there once he has enough in his army to release them. And this will be the end of all times, the end of everything as we know it. Do you accept this task? To save the world from darkness as we know it? If yes, please say so now. If no, then walk out of this room and don't look back. Raviera will be waiting for you. "

Travis, Erika and I all look at each other in fear, as we learn our fate, and the possibility of the world coming to its demise. I am fearful, but I am determined.

"Yes." I whisper.

"Yes." Erika chimes in.

"Yes." Travis inputs, his voice shaking in fear.

"Perfect." Death says, a smirk landing on his face.