‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

Three Days

"Three days? What do you mean Three days?" Travis asks, practically shouting now as we walk down the street from the High School as Raviera had clearly moved on from the school to find more victims.

"Well, it's Saturday...he has them all meeting Tuesday, so that's..." Death counts on his fingers and points them up at Travis. "Three days."

Travis sulks at the mocking tone Death provides him, "Okay, I know that smart ass, I just meant like...three days isn't a long time to save the world."

"Well it's all we got." Erika says.

"We can do it." I say, just thinking of all the times before and everything I've gone through in the past. "I know we can."

Travis groans, "this is so cliche."

Out of the corner of my eye I see my brother Riley, he's walking through the parking lot with his friends. They are laughing about something, and Riley is holding a small card in his hands. I storm up to him and grab the card from his hands.

"Don't even think about it!" I say to him. "What are you doing in New York anyway?"

"Relax sis, it's stupid. And mom moved didn't she tell you?" He says taking the card back from me and stuffing it in his pocket.

"No she didn't?" I mutter surprised at this news. "I haven't spoken to her much since the accident."

"She moved in case dad escaped prison." He explains.

"Well, it's a good thing she moved. Because he did." I tell him, and his expression goes from optimistic to destroyed.

"What?" He mutters under his breath, waving his friends off so he can talk to me. They leave and he crosses his arms and waits for my explanation to happen.

"I found out two days ago, it was on the news." I tell him everything including all about the City of Angels.
"You've got to tell your friends not to fall for it, I don't know how many people he's recruited but it's dangerous. It's not what it sounds like."

"So the City of Angels is real?" He whispers, looking almost amazed.

"Yes, it is." I wave over Travis, Death and Erika.

"Death? Like as in... A grim Reaper?" Riley asks amazed when I introduce everyone, and he seems to be mesmerized by Erika.

Death chuckles and reaches out to shake his hand and Riley steps back away from him.

"Relax kid, you're not due to die until you're at least in your 60s!"

"Thanks for that." Riley mutters and turns to Erika "So, if she's actually dead how is she here?"

Death glances at Erika and looks concerned, "You can see her?"

Riley nods in confusion, and Erika is just as confused.

"Her physical body isn't supposed to be seen outside the City of Angels other than for Delilah and Travis." He explains looking perplexed, and I can tell that he wonders of how Riley is able to see her.

"Maybe it's because Delilah is my sister?" Riley inputs, Death shrugs at that thought. Suddenly Erika shrieks loudly and closes her eyes tightly.

Travis's big brother instincts kick in and he panics at her shriek, running up to her and placing his arm around her shoulder trying to calm her down.

"He's at a youth homeless shelter, making a speech!" She calls out, and without a second to spare and the snap of his fingers Death transports us there.

"Again, a warning would suffice." Travis says.

"Sorry." Death mumbles.

We carry on and stumble on into the homeless shelter, there we see a crowd gathered around a man in a suit. It takes me a moment to realize that it is Raveira.

We linger in the back of the room, as to not be spotted quite yet.

"And in conclusion, if you want to start your life over, and become someone great, the City of Angels is the place for you!" The audience cheers among themselves, and just as we are all about to storm up to him to stop all of this from going on, he disappears.

"What the..." Travis says, looking all around the room for him. Everyone in the audience is less confused, going about their business like the whole ordeal never took place. I walk up a young girl and ask her about the speech.

"What speech?" She asks me, dumbfounded about the whole thing. "City of Angels? Sounds like a fantasy novel."

I sigh in defeat and walk back to the group, we stumble outside.

"It appears Raviera has made it so that the whole thing has been forgotten about when we are around." Death chimes in, providing answers for the mysterious event.

"Now what?" I ask, pacing back in forth outside the homeless shelter.

"I'll be right back." Death says suddenly and dissapears into thin air.

My phone vibrates in my pocket, I reach inside it and it's Sierra calling me.

"Hey!" I say cheerfully, like the entire fate of the world hasn't been left up to Erika, Travis and I to save.

"Who is Cecilia?" She asks frantically into the phone, and sounds like she has been running for quite some time.

"Why do you ask?" I wonder cautiously.

I hear the phone begin to static, and Sierra sounds like she's miles away from it. A faint screaming can also be heard from her end. My heart races fast as I call out to her. There is no answer, only more screaming.

"SIERRA!!!"

"DELILAH, WHO IS CECILIA?" She screams into the phone, her voice suddenly sounding like it's not herself anymore.

"She was a friend of mine, from the brink; I thought I told you that. Sierra what is happening?"

There is silence, the phone drops to the ground in a hard thud. More screaming, then the sound of wings flapping, and then thunder. Finally after what feels like forever, a voice can be heard.

"Sierra is gone, she's ours now." A low demonic growl of a voice is heard from the other end, and I can recognize it as Cecilia, even through the growl.

And then a click.