‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

Deaths Sacrifice

As if right on cue, right after the arrival in Las Vegas; the clear night sky begins to cloud up. A loud roaring clap of thunder echos and everyone starts splitting up, the mission to get back inside fills them. Just knowing that a storm is about to start anytime now.

For Travis, Erika, Riley and I; our mission is different. Our mission is to stop all of this from happening, and to make it stop. Right now, just stunning the Dark Angels until Death can come up with some sort of plan to reverse the entire curse is our main goal.

The sky suddenly opens up, and people scream. From the sky, Dark Angels descend. The four of us get ready to shoot at whatever comes our way, I am not scared for I know they cannot turn us.

One approaches me, it goes for me specifically. It's a young girl with blond hair, covered with dirt and blood. It makes eye contact with me, trying to get inside of my head. But failing. The Dark Angel becomes angry, bearing its teeth to attempt to frighten me. But to no avail. I take out my gun, and aim it at it's chest. Its eyes widen, and it's plan backfires and now it's scared.

I fire the gun and it flies with a loud pop hitting the Dark Angel right in the chest where I want it. The Dark Angel falls to the ground, stunned and soaked from the rain. I back up and bump into Travis, we turn and glance at each other in fear.

"There's so many of them!" He shouts, and I shoot at another that makes its way closer, all of the people turning into dark angels faster than we can knock them down.

Erika is on the other side of the road with Riley, shooting at any Dark Angels that come near them. Erika reaches out her hand and out of it forms some sort of white light of a barrier that the Dark Angels can't cross. Her and Riley hide behind it and discuss something for a moment before breaking the barrier that blocks them and begin shooting at them again.

I hear shrieks from behind me and turn to see a Dark Angel descending from the sky and eyeing everyone down with evil paining it's vision. Death pops up and places his hand in front of the Dark Angel. It's eyes thin and glaring at Death, and then suddenly Death falls to his knees and lets out a shriek. The four of us turn to watch what is happening in front of us.

"You...can't...turn...Death." He lets out in a silent breath.

The Dark Angel says nothing but continues focusing on his eyes, I can feel the aura around him begin to get dark but Death continues to fight it. The fight suddenly comes to an end when from a portal in the air emerges and out walks Raviera.

The four of us duck behind walls, so we won't be seen. The Dark Angel holding Death captive releases his grasp on him and Raviera steps in his place.

"Oh brother, just wait until you see what I have in store for you." He sneers, his eyes glowing red.

Death gives up the fight, weakened by Raviera's grasp. He lets out a long cry, and the wings of the Dark Angels emerge from his back, we all look at each other in fear.

"He's become one of them." Travis whispers, and we all know that deep down it's all up to us to figure this out.

***

FLASHBACK (TRAVIS)

"Congratulations Mr. Blackwood. You've been clean for officially 4 months now, how does it feel?" My drug counselor asked me as we sat in the same bland room for the past four months now.

"It sure as hell wasn't easy at first, let me tell you." I say to him, clenching the sides of the chair with my hands; my fingers digging into the flesh of the warn down chair.

"It never usually is, especially after a coma. I bet all you wanted to do when you got out of the hospital was swallow some pills, right?"

"Not, really..." I told him, skeptical of the need for that statement. He laughed, as if just making a casual joke with a friend. He clears his throat, getting ready for the next question on his list.

"What made you want to start getting clean right away?"

"I made a friend, her name is Delilah...she made me realize there is so much more to life then getting high on the daily. She inspired me, she taught me about friendship and that I'm so much more than just a pill in a bottle." I explain to him, he smiles at this.

"So you did this for a girl?"

"She's just a friend." I insist. "She made me realize so much more about myself then I ever thought I'd know...without her, I'd probably be dead right now."

"Did you have any friends prior to the coma?"

"They weren't real friends, my buddy Isacc; the one who called the ambulance stole all my shit after I was taken to the hospital, everyone else doesn't talk to me anymore now that I don't do drugs. She's all I have."

"I see, do you see yourself still down this road of sobriety in the next few months or so? Or do you think you'll find yourself slipping again?" He asks, typing into his computer.

I thought about that for a moment, I would love to say that I'm doing amazing and I'm going down a road of success but it would just take one drink, and one pill for me to slip up again.

"I think I can do it." I say to him, smiling in confidence.

"So, if I make your next appointment in two months at your six month stage you'll still be clean?" He asks, pulling up the appointment page.

"Damn right!" I tell him.

"I'm pretty proud of you kiddo." He says to me, and I smile with confidence at this.

"Thanks man, couldn't have done it with your help either." I get up shaking his hand and getting my stuff ready to leave, Delilah said she would be waiting for me out in the parking lot.