‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

Parties, Pizza and Visions

"What about this one?" I ask Travis in the clothing department of Sierras favorite store.

"It would obviously look better on me." He jokes and I throw the shirt at him and he attempts to try it on. "See?"

"Fabulous, now take it off!" I laugh and he does as I ask.

"I honestly liked the other one better, seems more like her style." He says placing the shirt back on the rack.

"Hmm, I think your right." I say walking over to the other rack and picking up the purple long sleeved shirt Travis and I both agree on. "So, this shirt and the necklace I picked out. Sounds good?"

"If I were a girl, I'd be thrilled to get that for my birthday."

"So that's a yes then?"

"Obviously." He snickers as we head up to the front of the store to pay for the items.

"Are you hungry?" I ask him after we pay and leave the store, walking through the busy mall. "Because I am."

"I'm craving Tacos." Travis says as we near the cafeteria.

***

"I'VE GOT A BLANK SPACE BABY, AND I'LL WRITE YOUR NAME!"

It's around seven PM now, and we have gathered in Sierra's backyard, the smoke from the fire surrounds us as we chat and enjoy our favorite music. Sierra and I are rocking out to Taylor Swift and the guys are watching us in amusement, almost hoping that the ground will open up and swallow them inside so they don't have to have their ears tortured.

"Dear lord." Travis cringes.

"Make it stop." Stephan says looking up towards the sky, his hands over his ears dramatically.

"Oh come on now, can't be that bad." Sierra giggles taking a drink of her pink lemonade cooler.

Ding!

"Saved by the bell!" Stephan laughs standing up from his chair grabbing his wallet from the back of his pants, "Must be the pizza!"

He heads towards the back door to get to the front of the house, Sierra and I continue our jam session.

"HEY I JUST MET YOU!" Sierra sings loudly using her cooler bottle as a fake microphone.

"AND THIS IS CRAZY!" I sing, jumping onto a chair for dramatic effect.

"BUT HERES MY NUMBER!" Travis chimes in, and Sierra and I laugh not expecting his input.

Then all three of us sing in unison, "SO CALL ME MAYBE!"

"I hate that song." Travis says, groaning. "I regret joining in."

"You know you had a blast!" I say laughing, taking a long drink from my glass of vodka and orange juice. Travis just makes a face but laughs.

"I come back bearing pizza!" Stephan says placing the two boxes of pizza on the table in front of us. "Half pepperoni and half just cheese for the weirdo."

He means me, I still hate pepperoni. Don't know why, I just do.

As I am about to take a big bite out of a slice of steaming cheese pizza I see someone staring at me out of the corner of my eye. I turn to look at them, but they disappear the second I make eye contact in it's direction. I groan, knowing I am most likely having another episode. The alcohol in my system most likely doesn't help anything either, just makes the side effects slightly worse.

"Delilah?" Travis calls out, and I glance in his direction across the fire pit. "You okay?"

"Oh, yeah I'm fine!! Hey Sierra, want to open your gift?" I say reaching into my bag to pull out a small box. I had already given her the shirt earlier.

"You got me a second gift?" She beams in delight. "Delilah, you didn't have to do that!"

I smile and hand it to her and she opens it with excitement and smiles when she see's the best friend necklace I picked out for her.

"You pick which half you want!" I say to her as she unwraps it, she chooses the best part, so I get the friend part.

"Pffttt..girls." Stephan says and we both laugh.

Out of no where, I feel a strange but oddly familiar buzzing sound in the back of my mind. I know what's happening and I try my hardest to try and focus on the party and everything going on around me to try and stop it from happening.

In my mind, I see what looks like a forest. The tree's are bare, and theirs smoke flying in from all around. I see black rain, falling from the darkened sky. I hear screams, loud unearthly frightened screams. Calling out for help, but I am unable to decipher the detailed content of what they say. From the forest, I am led to a clearing. I see a body laying on the ground, wings tethered behind its back; the feathers falling off and flying around with the help of the storm that blows all throughout. The clearing leads on into a city, torn down and destroyed. Smoke clouding my vision and the smell death and destruction invading my nose.

The sign above the city entrance is torn apart and shattered, and I can barely outline what it says. I am pushed closer into the city and I'm finally able to decipher the sign.

"City of Angels."

***

"Delilah? ...Delilah? Are you okay?" I open my eyes and I'm on the ground outside in Sierras backyard still. Travis has his arm around my back like he had just caught me from falling.

"What...what happened?" I ask, my mind still foggy from everything I had just witnessed.

"You just went blank face on us suddenly." Sierra says, concerned. "Then you whispered something about 'The City of Angels' before passing out."

"Luckily I caught you." Travis says, assisting me in getting to my feet. "Whats the City of Angels Delilah?"

"...I'm not too sure, I've never seen anything like it before." I say, putting my hand up to my forehead and feeling the scar that's left over from the accident. It still hurts sometimes. Not trying to sound like Harry Potter or anything.

"Seeing things, passing out, your scar still hurting...Delilah, please contact your doctor before it gets any worse!" Travis insists starting to sound like my mother.

"It's probably nothing." I reassure but he looks at me like it doesn't agree with me. "I'll call him first thing Monday morning."

"And what about that dream about Cecilia you had the other night?"

"That was probably nothing too, I'm telling you...I have a very vivid imagination. I just miss her is all."

"Anyone want more pizza?" Stephan chimes in, and I reach in to grab one before Travis can ask me another question.

"As long as your okay."

"Travis, I'm fine." I say, my mouth full of pizza. A silence breaks in and falls over everyone.

Sierra breaks the silence, "Anyone up for beer pong?"