‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

Hitting the Road

he sun shines brightly through Sierras bedroom window, I'm on the floor of her room. Blankets and pillows surrounding me. I glance up at the time, it's nearly noon.

I groan in pain, my head throbbing from the night before. After a few rounds of beer pong we played a few more drinking games. Some more people came over, which resulted in a lot of dancing. Sober Travis hit the dance floor showing off his best moves, I joined in and stumbled around nearly toppling over into the fire pit. It turned into a pretty rowdy party, which was also a lot of fun. Something I really needed to happen. Even though now I feel like making friends with Sierra's toilet.

"Hungover?" She asks, getting up from her bed and looking down at me. I throw her a thumbs up from the blanket barricade I made myself.

"Want breakfast?"

"You mean lunch?"

"There's left over pizza, or we can go out for some bacon and eggs, the best hangover food in existence."

"Ask me again in the next decade." I say burying my face in the pillow and closing my eyes for a moment, only to be disturbed by my phone vibrating. I groan reaching around to grab it. It's Travis.

"Hello, this better be important." I mumble.

"It kind of is, turn the TV onto the news channel."

"That involves moving."

"Delilah!" He insists, and I groan getting up off the floor with my phone still in my hand reaching up towards the remote for the TV.

I click the TV on and luckily for me it's already on the news channel. But it's on a commercial.

"Okay Travis, I know you like Taco Bell but now is not the time." I say getting a little bit annoyed. I hear an impatient sigh from his end.

"Fine, I'll just tell you." He says, hopefully getting straight to the point. "Your father escaped from prison this morning."

That wakes me up completely.

"Wait, what? How?" I can feel my heart racing in my chest. This can't be happening, I don't want to be dealing with this again. I begin to pace around the room, Sierra glances up at me and gives the 'whats going on?' look. I put out a finger to tell her to hold on a moment.

"There was a break out, it happened in the middle of the night. Sometime around 2 am they are saying. They had him completely locked up tight in his cell, there's no way he could have done it himself. He had to have had help of some kind." He goes on to tell me. "He completely vanished, they have been looking for him all morning. He left a small note that only said 'Delilah and Travis'"

"I can't believe this! The police reassured me about a thousand times that I would be safe and he won't ever get free. There's no way this is happening." I sit on the bed almost in tears now, I turn the speaker in my phone on and have Travis inform Sierra of what is happening.

I suddenly am overcome with a harsh feeling of anger and resentment deep within me, I get up off the bed and walk over to my overnight bag shoving my clothes and make up inside of it.

"We're getting out of here." I say to Travis over the phone, the desire to just run away from the situation overwhelming me.

***

"Delilah, we can't just run away. I assure you, he won't come after us. We can talk to the police and they'll make sure that he won't." Travis says to me in my apartment later that day as I shove almost all my belongings into a suitcase. "They can have people come and watch the apartment so he can't get in."

"I can't just sit around my apartment like a prisoner with the police babysitting my every move. He's the one who should be the prisoner!" I run to the cupboard and throw in some snacks for the road, not completely sure we're I plan to go but just knowing I have to get out of here. "If you don't want to come with me then fine, I'll be okay on my own."

"I'm not leaving you out there alone with your father on the loose, there has to be another way. Delilah what about Maisie?"

"Sierra said she'd watch her."

"Okay, what about the interview you have with the Art Magazine next Monday?"

"I'll call and cancel."

"I'm not going to win this am I Delilah?" He sighs, clearly giving up the fight that he knows he won't win.

"Nope."

My phone vibrates in my pocket, I grab it and see that it's from an unknown number.

"Hello?" I cautiously greet into the speaker.

No one says anything but I can clearly hear somebody breathing on the other end, and it sends chills down my spine.

"Can you say something?" I persist about to hang up feeling scared for my life. Suddenly a voice from the other end speaks in a dark tone that wakes up the nightmares within me.

"City of Angels...." Then I hear a click.

"Delilah? Who was it, you just got really pale." Travis mutters, distressed at my reaction to the call.

"Probably just a wrong number, we should go, I don't know where but lets just get out of here."

"Okay, lets stop at my place first before we leave." He says as we turn to leave the apartment, "I need to pack my shit too."

I turn to Maisie, "Sierra will be here soon okay pretty girl, you behave." She whines at me and turns her head like she understands what I'm telling her even though she doesn't necessarily agree.

***

"I'm sorry Miss Ivy but there's nothing we can do right now, we have looked all over the city but we haven't been able to locate your father." The bald and short police officer informs me, I tap my fingernails impatiently on the mans desk as he browses over a file on his computer screen.

"Is there ANYTHING you can do for me?" I ask, thinking twice about running away; hoping there is some way to remain safe from the wrath of my father.

"All I can say is to not go anywhere alone and to try and stay in a public place were lots of people are." He hardly looks up at me as he informs me of this, I glare at the man and turn to leave.

"Chances are, he most likely won't come after you." The officer says as I reach the door to the office, heading back out to my car. I turn and give the man a hard glare.

"You don't know my father."

I run back to my car, opening the door and sitting next to Travis placing my head on the steering wheel in defeat.

"So, anything?" Travis asks, almost already knowing the answer to that question.

"Nope, we just gotta go." I say sitting up and pulling out a map on my phone, looking at local places to drive to.

"Are you sure about this?" He asks, looking at a map on his own phone.

"I'm beyond sure." I say pulling out of the parking lot of the police station, ready to hit the road and make my escape to somewhere safe.