‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

Secret Notes

*Flashback*

"So, then after waking up from the accident what happened next?" The short nearly bald counselor asks me as we sit in a blank white room. With only a small window on the far left side that was hidden behind a bookshelf.

"I was in pain for awhile, but after some medication I started to get better. But I kept having strange dreams, I don't remember them completely right now but they had to do with my father." I tell the man as I cross my legs together, the conversation beginning to make me anxious the more deeper it gets.

"Has your father ever hit you, as a child or any time recently?" He asks and I shake my head no, not finding the right words to actually express that.

"Do you think your episodes are getting worse, better or not changing at all?" He asks and I reflect back to the last little bit of time.

"I haven't seen a change at all, I probably have 2-3 a week."

"And what do they consist of?" He taps his pen against his clipboard, waiting to write down every single word of my answer.

"Mostly seeing things that aren't there." I say, thinking it over.

"Things or people?"

"Both."

"I see, well that is normal especially from the medication you've been taking. I definitely think that you have symptoms of PTSD from what you've been though. But if anything gets worse, don't hesitate to give me a call and we can talk about increasing the dosage of your medication, but that's up to you."

I nod and stand up to leave the room, and as I do I take a glance at the counselor, hes watching me with a look of intensity and smiles. His eyes suddenly turn black, and a fog begins to enter the room. A sensation of doom overwhelms me, and I find myself surrounded by the fog. Alone.

I hear a snicker coming from the man, and he reaches out to me. I take a step back and find myself falling down into a deep hole. Swallowed by the shadows.

I blink, and suddenly everything is back to normal. The counselor looking at me with a worried stare.

"Maybe we should up your medication sooner."

***

"Where are we?" I stir as I wake from my sleep, looking out the passenger window out at the road. The rain splattering softly on the window as it descends from the sky.

"Just leaving Seattle, did you sleep well? You were out for a few hours." Travis says pulling onto a small cafe on the side of the road.

"I don't even remember falling asleep honestly, I guess I needed it." I say getting out of the car and walking into the cafe.

We walk in and seat ourselves in the back at a booth, I grab the menu and glance over it. My stomach grumbles with hunger, and I decide on chicken fingers and fries. Travis orders the same.

The waitress comes back with our drinks and as she is leaving she slips us a piece of paper, Travis and I just stare at the paper with confusion until she walks away then I cautiously reach for it.

"I need your help" it reads, the writing looking like it was scribbled out really fast. "Raviera, my brother has taken over the city of Angels. As soon as you get this call this number: 523-627-6616. Preferablly from a payphone. -Death."

"The City of Angels...Delilah, isn't that what you keep dreaming and having visions about?" Travis says once I finish reading the note.

"...yes. I didn't think it was a real thing though, but Death says he needs help so we should probably contact him." I say taking a sip of my coffee, letting the warm liquid glide down my throat slowly.

The waitress then brings our food to us, and before she can leave Travis reaches out to grab her attention.

"Where did you get this note from? Who gave it to you?"

She looks startled for a moment at his question and looks around for a moment to make sure no one is listening.

"A man approached me and handed it to me, he said 'give it to the kids in the back booth'"

"What did the man look like?" I ask her, trying to gather enough information before actually calling him.

"I didn't see much of his features, he was wearing a robe and a hoodie. So I couldn't see his face." She tells us in a hushed whisper, turning to walk away. Travis and I let her, and I take a small bite out of my fries. Thinking the whole situation over in my mind.

"Maybe it's a trap?" I say, pouring ketchup onto my plate.

"Or Death actually needs our help." Travis mutters staring out the window.

"But why us? Why is he reaching out so suddenly? And in such a discreet manner too..."

"We'll call after we eat."

***

I'm leaning against the glass walls of a payphone outside the cafe, the ones inside aren't working.

"Do people even use these things anymore?" I say frustrated as I try to figure out how to work the thing. Finally I'm able to put in the number I was given and I hear a dial tone, it rings about four times and I'm about almost ready to give up.

After the sixth ring somebody finally answers.

"Delilah?" I hear a raspy voice with that slight English accent answer, he sounds like hes in a tunnel.

"Death? Is this really you? How are you able to be in this realm?" I ask curiously waiting for the answer.

"That's not important right now, where are you? I'm unable to locate you in my mind." He says, sounding frantic.

"I'm outside a cafe on highway 67, Travis is next to me. Death what's going on?"

Suddenly the phone hangs up and I'm given a dial tone in return. I frustratedly hang up the phone back on the receiver.

"What was that about?" Travis asks, and I shrug my shoulders.

Suddenly Death appears right in front of us, "Found you finally, anyone up for an adventure?"