‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

Finding the Angels

"Thank you for meeting again with me today, please do enlighten me of the vision you seen last night. Any detail whatsoever will assist in locating the entrance to the city of Angels." Death tells me as we sit around a table in a cafe the next morning, I am feeling awfully tired still even though I slept through straight until 10 am.

"It was gray, so gray. No colors for miles, it was stormy and the thunder was louder than any thunder I've ever heard in reality. I felt scared, like my life could be taken away from me at any given moment. It wasn't water that fell from the sky either, it was acid." I describe everything that I can remember from last night's vision of the city the best I can, as well as adding in details from all the other visions I've had about it. Death listens with intensity, trying to place any possible details together in regards to locating the city once again.

"Did you see anyone?" He asks, lowering his tone into a hushed whisper.

I almost shake my head no, until I remember the girl. I tell him about the first time I seen her, and the time from last night.

"She is a newcomer to the city of Angels, she doesn't really speak much and won't tell us her name or where she came from. I look at her and I can tell of the terrible past live shes lived. But that's all I know." He tells me, and I recall back to seeing her the first time and feeling such a negative sad energy surrounding her. Her brown eyes telling me all the stories of her past and her life.

"Is there anything else you would like to know?" I ask Death taking a sip of my hot coffee and glancing around the room.

"I think that is all I need to know, now Delilah... I need you to close your eyes and concentrate on the city of Angels again. Just concentrate to the best of your ability, feel it inside of you. Don't look at the gray that surrounds you, feel the gray. The sorrow, and misery that comes along with it. Take it all in, and with that the entrance will find you. Don't find it, let it find you."

I close my eyes and start off with what I seen from last night, at first nothing comes to focus. I try to get that feeling that I felt back, the misery and the sorrow. It slowly develops my entire being, starting with a buzzing sound in my head and then falling down into my chest.

Finally the vision of what I desire comes clear and I am brought back to that forest. I try and get myself to look everywhere but the forest. I look into the sky at the gray clouds. That somber feeling taking over my entire existence, the path takes me down into the field I had seen before. I see everything but a location to which I want.

The field suddenly takes a sharp left turn, and I am brought down another path and into a tunnel. Something I didn't expect to happen, something I had never seen before now.

This tunnel goes on, for what feels like decades in my mind; but in reality it's only a few moments of time. A sense of familiarity begins to fill me as I remember this path from a long ago adventure with friends.

After the tunnel, there is a dead end. Dead end to those in the outside world, but in my mind I am am taken beyond the imaginable. And the walls of the dead end break down, as this is the entrance to the City of Angels.

"I found it." I murmer, snapping out of my vision and back into the reality of the cafe.

"Tell me everything, and don't leave out a single detail." Death says becoming excited at the retrieval of his greatest creation.

***

"They're coming I just know that they'll be here in no time." Raviera snickers to my father. Standing in a tower and looking over the city he had torn apart.

"That's all part of the plan isn't it, summon them here and then convert them into the dark Angels?"

"That's exactly the plan." Raviera smirks and glances behind him, the angel he had just converted waking from its slumber. "Is everyone accounted for?"

"All but one, the dark haired girl. She still won't talk and she keeps disappearing on us."

"I won't let her get away that easily." He says, pacing back and forth of the balcony outside the tower. The lightening striking in the sky as he declares with all his might the promise of the world's end.

I gasp suddenly as my vision goes back to normal, I realize I had seen something I wasn't meant to see. I disrupt Travis and Deaths chatter to give them a warning of what I just seen.

"They know we're coming."

**Flashback**

I stared out the window at the snowflakes falling in a heavenly matter from the sky, leaving its blanket of cold perfection behind. The lights in the distance glimmer as I reflected of how blessed I am to be given a second chance at this life.

"How many marshmallows do you want in your hot chocolate?" I heard my mother say from behind me, I turn to see her holding a bag of giant marshmallows and whipped cream. It's Christmas eve and I'm spending it with my family, my small perfect family. I turn from the window and sit down next to the tree, my mothers cat willow jumps off the couch and crawls into my lap.

"Two will be fine." I said smiling, petting Willow and hearing her soft purrs as she drifted off to sleep. My mother retreated to the kitchen and Riley walked down the stairs, he made his way over to the tree and puts a homemade ordainment on one of the branches. A star with a family photo from when we were kids. With dad out of the picture.

I heard a soft knock at the door suddenly, I carefully picked up Willow and placed her softly on the couch. She rolled over and fell back asleep almost right away.

I got up and made my way over to the door, I open it to see Travis standing there. A wide grin on his face. I smile upon seeing his presence.

"Travis hey!" I say, letting him in. "Did you bring the board game?"

"I wouldn't have dreamed to forget it! I also brought you something." He said pulling his hand from behind his back and placing a small box in my hand.

"Travis, you didn't have to get me anything!"

"I know, but I couldn't help it. Open it up!" He insists and I do so, to reveal a small angel winged shaped necklace.

"It's beautiful!" I tell him, pulling him in to a small thankful hug. Riley watches us from his spot on the couch with a smirk.

"I also got you something!" Travis says, kicking off his shoes and walking over to Riley and giving him a bag from his favorite video game store. He opens it in delight. "Merry Christmas buddy!"

"Is that Travis I hear?" My mom asks walking into the living room from the kitchen. Travis smiles at her and hands her a small box. She opens it and it's a very beautiful candle, my mother has always loved candles. "Oh, Travis thank you so much!"

"No need to thank me, it was my pleasure."

I reach under the Christmas tree and pull out a bag and hand it to him.

"Delilah..."

"Open it!"

He opens it and it's the entire box set of the Harry Potter series, ever since getting back from the brink and going through therapy Travis has really gotten into reading. He told me he's seen all the Harry Potter movies but has never read the books. So I decided to change that.

"Thank you so much!" He says, looking like tears are about to well up in his eyes.

"Care for some hot chocolate?" My mother asks and Travis nods and sits on the couch.

"Merry Christmas Delilah." He says to me. "Thank you for everything."