‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

The Labratory

**Flashback**

"So Delilah, how long have you been interested in art?" The admissions office to the Art University of California asked me, I nervously sat in her office and even though the answer is right on top of my head it's not coming out of my mouth.

"I've always been interested in drawing and painting ever since I was a kid." I finally was able to stutter out. She nods and smiles, and pulled up one of my past paintings up on her slide show.

"Tell me about this one." She said, referring to the one that won me the art contest. The one that got my work into the museum.

I giggle awkwardly, trying to find the most sophisticated words to use in this setting.

"I was about 10 years old when I had seen this sight, sitting on my grandmothers patio gazing out into the ocean while the sun was setting. I had drawn a smaller, more childish version of the painting. Years later I decided to enhance the project."

"Very well done, so what made you interested in pursuing art here?" She tapped her fingers along her desk, taking notes as we talked.

"I've always dreamed of living in California since I was a child, sitting on a beach drawing and painting the beautiful California sunrise. I've also done plenty of research on the institution and I feel like it will be the best place for me to grow and learn and continue down the path of Art."

"One last question, you were in a coma for two weeks...did coming out of that coma inspire your art at all?" She asks pulling up my most recent piece of Travis and I sitting on the hallway floor of the hospital talking, and another of me standing in the shadows watching my family stand beside me by the hospital bed.

I nod, "Yes very much so, I remember everything from being in a coma so that definitely inspired me while I was still in recovery."

She smiled and stood up, I followed her lead and stood up as well. She reached out to shake my hand, handing me a business card with her information on it.

"I will give you a call in a few days with your class list and dorm information!" I shook her hand in return and thanked her.

"So how did it go?" Travis asked me as I exited the office room.

"It went well, got lots of information about the school and living on campus and the what not." I tell him happily as we walked out of the building towards my car.

***

"Cecilia has her." I say distraught after hanging up the phone, I turn to the group and am lost at what to do next but turn to Erika. "Do you know where she has her?"

If anyone could locate Sierra, I know that it would be Erika.

She puts her hands up to her head and squints her eyes, "I'm trying but it's fuzzy, everything is fuzzy. I think she has her in the city of angels, but I'm not sure. I can't tell."

"Then we have to go back there!" I insist, Travis looks at me in concern and I can tell he wants to agree but something inside of him regresses and goes against it.

"Delilah, it isn't safe there right now." He says to me, and I know that is true but still want to proceed so I can save my friend from the unknown. I back up and sit on the ground, placing my head in my hands not knowing what to do.

Death pops back in just then, he stands and grazes over the scene. Then reaches up to snap his fingers and before he can Travis gives him an annoyed look. Death sighs and says "Incoming scene change." Before we are transported some place else.

We are back in the forest that leads into the city of angels, I realize this after we begin pacing down the path that leads to there. The forest walls still giving me the ominous feeling of doom, and whatever else it has planned for us.

"What are we doing here?" Travis asks, "Isn't it dangerous for us to be here right now?"

"We aren't going to the city of angels, we are going somewhere else." He says, as we speed through the trees. We all look at each other in confusion wondering where Death is about to lead us.

We walk a little bit further, until we are at a gate. An old torn down gate, nothing is seen beyond it until Death pushes it open and ushers us inside. We are in some sort of futuristic laboratory, with men in lab coats running around trying to place together the pieces of a puzzle.

"Are these the three?" One of the men asks walking up to us, his eyes filled with curiosity. Death nods and but turns around and eyes Riley.

"There seems to be a forth as well." The men crocks his head to the side to study Riley's physique. Riley steps back away from the men, almost like he's scared.

"What is this place?" I ask, my eyes peering around the room. I spot a monitor that seems to be showing the city of angels on the screen the darkness and fire that transpires over the city walls.

"It's the laboratory that was used to create the city of angels."