‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

The Man

I aim my gun, and fire among the crowd of Dark Angels that ascends toward me, I look over to the right side of me and see that Travis is ducked behind a building aiming his bow and getting ready to aim and fire at any Dark Angels he sees.

"Lets move elsewhere! It's clear here!" He calls out and I nod and run behind him through the empty city streets. Luckily it is a small town that has been infected, but won't be long until the Dark Angels escape into bigger cities.

We meet up with Erika and Riley at a burnt out lamp post, the sun is beginning to set so it's only a matter of time before the blanket of darkness covers us all. Bodies of the fallen Dark Angels surrounds us, I glance out among them all feeling the despair that covers us.

I hear a gun shot ring out behind us, I turn around to see a man with his gun pointed in our direction.

"Be gone black eyed beasts!" He shouts, running from us. I put my arms up in defense to reassure him that I am still human and not one of them.

"Oh thank god, can't trust anyone right now." He says, putting the gun down and walking towards our group. "Come inside, before more come after us."

We all look at each other and nod, we follow the man into his house and he ushers us into the living room. He turns on the TV on the news is nothing but chaos, it has clearly begun.

"Ever since late last night, it has been released to us that black eyed like creatures having been making their way into cities, attacking citizens and causing fright and chaos in the cities." The news reporter announces, and suddenly her demeanor changes from frightened to menacing as her eyes turn into that familiar pitch black I had seen on everyone else.

"See what I mean?" He says turning off the TV and facing to us.

"Oh, trust us...we believe you." Travis says, pacing around. "The four of us are kind of in the middle of all this."

"How so?" The man asks, and everyone looks over at me to give an explanation for the entire mess we are in.

And I do so.

***

"You're all crazy!" He laughs in a mocking tone after I finish telling the tale about the City of Angels and Raviera, Death, and everything in between. I shake my head at his response. "You're telling me, that you four young kids are going to save the world from being taken over by DEATHS BROTHER? And you expect me to believe you?"

"Don't be an idiot." Travis says, just as Death pops back in again. The man jumps back startled.

"Choose not to believe them if you must, but I just happen to know when your time will be up. I can make it much sooner if you choose to continue with your raging stupidity."

The mans face grows pale at Deaths threat, he backs up into the wall. "Okay, okay. I believe you."

"Mhmmm... that's what I thought." I chime in, as we all hear a knock at the door.

"I wouldn't answer that if I were you." Death warns, but the idiotic man shakes his head in disbelief and goes to the door anyway.

"Hey baby." We hear him mutter to a woman at the door. "Oh, don't worry just some old friends, do you hear whats happening on the news? You should come in, it's not safe out there."

There is some more coherent mumbling, then what sounds like a slap to the face.

"Karen, what the hell there's not another woman in here!" He tells the woman at the door. "Karen, whats wrong with your eyes?"

There is silence, and then the sound of the door slamming and from outside someone running. The man returns, looking dazed and confused.

"We're just going to leave..." Travis says inching towards the door, I follow closely behind him. As are nearing the door it slams hard in front of us, I turn around and see the man standing there with an angry expression on his face.

I have no fear as we all witness his eyes glaze over and turn black,

"Not so fast!" He warns us, quickly speeding through the hall to be directly in front of the door.

The lights flicker on and off, and I retrieve my gun from inside my belt. I aim it at the man and as I'm ready to fire at him he knocks it out of my hand into the wall.

I can faintly hear Travis behind me, loading up an arrow into his bow, it races past me and straight into the mans chest. He falls onto the floor in a loud thump, I reach out to him and place my fingers on his neck.

He's still alive.

"How do they not die?" Erika asks Death, observing the mans chest still moving up and down slowly.

"The shot only stuns them, knocking them to the ground until the curse can be lifted; if the curse isn't lifted by the end of the three days that's when they will die."

"And is there a way to lift the curse?" Riley asks, "Because if there is, soon would be the time to tell it."

"I'm still trying to figure that out, why do you think I keep disappearing all the time?"

"I was thinking to go off and do Death things?" Travis snickers, and Death punches him in the arm.

"Yeah, Death things. Sure kid."

"Anyways, we should probably get out of here...it's getting dark now." I say, observing the http://www.mibba.com/My/dark blanket falling over the city.

"Scene change!" Death says, aiming that at Travis.

"Thanks man." Travis laughs as Death snaps his fingers in the usual way and we open our eyes in another location. People walk around throughout the city streets, not aware of the chaos that will transpire soon enough. We are in Las Vegas, and as much as I want to be walking around having a grand time, I know we have a mission at stake.

The entire world at stake actually.