‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

Welcoming

I look into the eyes of my best friend, looking fiercer than ever before. She smirks, and the fog clears.

“I see you have a mission to attend to.” She says, eyeing up the bag of Angel Hearts and the viles of our blood.

“Well, you’re not wrong.” Travis says, stepping in front of me to face her. She grins at his bravery.

“I can’t let you do this.” She says.

“And why is that?” I ask her, my gun in my hand ready to fire at her chest if I have to, knowing that when we reverse the curse that she will be okay and shooting her won’t kill her.

“Life as a dark angel is...better; more satisfying. I feel, more at ease being this way.”

“You like being evil?” I say.

She tilts her head at me.

“You got to experience it, it was only a small amount of time but...you still got to have a taste of what I feel. Didn’t you enjoy it? The euphoric feeling of being able to crush your enemies?” Her voice is monotone, like she is a puppet being controlled by strings.

“No, I didn’t enjoy the terrible memories. You know what kept coming back to me when I was turning? You and Stephan being together, your betrayal while I was DYING.” I fill anger fill up my body, and even while I am over Stephan and okay with the thought of them together the betrayal still stings me to the core.

“Oh get over it, he never loved you anyway.” She says, and regardless of the fact she means it or not, it still stings and I feel my heart break at this. “How could anyone ever love you Delilah? How can anyone want to be with such a whiny friend like you, this isn’t the curse talking either.”

“Oh shut up.” I say, trying to block out her words; knowing in fact that it is indeed the curse talking.

“Why should I?” She cackles.

“She’s right you know, I never loved you, I only pretended to love you because I felt sorry for you.” I hear Stephan’s harsh voice say and see him emerging from the fog, his eyes blacker than the night.

I have my hand on the trigger, debating with myself in my mind whether or not I should pull it.

“I could go on, about how much you whined about your dumb art projects, when you were in the hospital after that party, complaining about your father; but I feel like we would be here for hours and we don’t have much time left until the moon rise.”

“Shut. Up.” I say with gritted teeth raising my gun and silencing them from speaking anymore harsh words. Their eyes close and they fall to the ground with a thud.

I look down at my best friend and former lover, hoping that what they said was just the curse talking and not the truth.

“Delilah...” Travis starts saying, as I look down at their bodies and take in what just happened. “Don’t listen to him...I lo-”

“We got a world to save.” I cut him off, turning away from him and onward to the City of Angels, Stephan and Sierras words still beating like a drum inside of my mind.

***

It is now 5:15 as we reach the entrance to the City of Angels and prepare to ascend inside. Our weapons and ingredients ready to reverse the curse that plagued our lives for so long. To save the human races future from an endless darkness, and to stop memories from haunting our minds and filling our every thoughts.

We push the door open with ease, and storm on inside. We gasp in surprise at the sight at greets us.

Dark Angels, lined up for miles in a straight line stand up right in our direction watching us enter the city and smirking evilly.

“What the hell is this?” Travis asks, grabbing my hand for protection as the door closes loudly behind us.

Raviera appears in front of us, clapping his hands in excitement like we just arrived at a circus act.

“Welcome, to the sacrifice!”

All the dark angels smile, and chant in unison alongside Raviera. “Official city of dark angels sacrifice, day of reckoning, welcome to a new beginning, mark this day in the calendar of your mind.”

We walk into the City of Angels, ignoring the glares of the dark angels and make our way to the center, Erika leads the way as she knows the full extent of the place.

We finally make it to the center, which is located on top of a large mountain at exactly the center of the building. We arrive there and all of the children that were kept in the cages are gathered in a perfect circle, looking drained in the face and holding hands.

“We are the sacrificial chosen ones, our blood will provide the world with a new beginning, a new era of dark ones, no more humans for the future race, for the world will become dark angels, and dark angels will become the world.”

They chanting gets louder, and more sinister. I look around but don’t see Death anymore. I am beginning to believe my suspicions about him are correct, that he is in fact still the enemy.

Right when I am about to accept this belief I hear a voice whisper behind us, “Pssst...there is a door in the center of the mountain.. meet me in there.”

It is Death, smiling over at our direction trying to remain unseen, and we race over to the side of the mountain and enter inside the door he told us about.

The AI’S greet us as we enter the room Death pointed out to us, we are inside a large roofless room that peers out into the sky. The moon can be seen over the horizon, beginning to rise up from beneath the mountain. The sight almost beautiful despite everything about to go down when it fully rises.

“Good work on getting the angel hearts, I understand it was not an easy task to attend to, but nonetheless you did it and we are proud.”

I hand the bag of dark angel hearts to the AI, she takes it from me and places the bag on the table.

“What’s happening outside?” Riley asks, “I didn’t know that this ‘sacrifice’ would be such a big deal.”

“It’s a bigger deal than we realized, once I gained my humanity back; I had to pretend that I was still one of them, it was easy to trick Raviera as my eyes are already black to begin with. I had to torture those kids, to take their blood and prepare them for the sacrifice. Raviera bought every moment of it.” Death explains to us, as we all stand around a fire pit preparing to burn the hearts for their ashes.