‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

City of New Angels

It rises up, halfway to the sky. Glowing its blue beautiful aura, suddenly I am filled with knowledge of what I need to be doing next.

I hold my hand up towards the stone, concentrating on it to the fullest extent. I close my eyes, and I can feel it’s power filling up inside of me. Outside the walls, Raviera has started his own sacrifice. The bowl filled with the blood of the youth rises up towards the sky as well, and one by one the kids fall to the ground. Everything is beginning to fall into place quickly.

I envision the future, I envision the past, the present moment doesn’t matter to me right now. All that matters is making it out alive from this, I feel myself getting tired. The world is beginning to spin once again. I close my eyes, trying to make it leave my body but with fail and it just gets stronger.

I fall to the ground, breaking concentration on the stone and the glowing from it stops.

“Delilah!” Travis calls out, standing next to me.

“I can’t...do it.” I say, feeling weak.

He helps me get to my feet, “Yes Delilah, you can.”

He holds my hand up, along with his and the stone glows once more and rises again.

“We can do it together.”

The ashes of the Dark Angel hearts light up, they float up into the sky and surround the stone.

It glows up brightly and shatters, we fall to the ground to keep from being hit by shards of the stone. After the last shard hits the ground, my world around me turns black and I pass out into Travis’s chest.

TRAVIS POV

Once the stone rises, my eyes close. I feel a warm sensation taking over me, I can’t place it but I know that it isn’t fear. It’s something beautiful. I awake in a field. The surroundings of this field feel almost familiar to me, and I remember it as the field Delilah described to me while she was in her coma. I turn around and see her, she’s wearing a beautiful white dress, I run to her. We are face to face but for some reason she doesn’t see me here.

“Delilah?” I say out loud reaching out to touch her face, and she turns away from me and walks in the opposite direction.

I can’t help but follow her, and I wonder why she can’t see me. Or feel my touch. She ends up at a small little shack and walks inside, the walls surrounded by photos of her life. She doesn’t appear to have any reaction to it, and suddenly her father appears.

I feel anger rising up in my chest upon seeing him again, I want to hurt him; the same way he hurt my family. And hurt Delilah.

He reaches out to her, and tries to apologize; saying how he’s going to become a better man and fix everything. Which is complete and utter bullshit. Delilah is smart, she doesn’t fall for it and he pleads with her that all he truly wants her to do is to stop Raviera from completing the ritual. It’s all he wants, she says she can do that, but what she won’t do is forgive him.

Smart Delilah.

“You love her don’t you?” I hear a voice whisper from behind me, I turn around and Death is standing there; a wide spread grin on his face.

“I...” I stutter out the words, but he stops me before I can make a fool of myself.

“You don’t need to say it, I know that you do; I’ve always been able to tell I can see it in the way you look at her.”

“But she says she’s content with us being just friends, and I don’t want to ruin that. Besides, feelings can wait; we have a world to save.” I say, feeling my heart breaking the moment I say that.

“Well yes, but your feelings will still be there whether you save the world or not.”

I turn and leave the cabin and back out towards the little lake I had spotted in the field. I sit and think about everything Death just said to me.

Maybe I do love her?

But does she replicate the feeling back?

Her voice breaks the silence moments later.

She can finally see me.

I reach out and grab her hand and pull her towards me, I know what I have to do but before I can I open my eyes into reality.

I sigh, staring up at the glowing stone rising into the sky. I glance over at Delilah her eyes closed tightly in concentration. Only a moment later she falls to the ground weakly, I race to her and scoop her up in my arms.

She looks at me, her green eyes fluttering meekly.

“I can’t do it...” She says, and I frown.

“Yes, you can.”

I help her up and hold her hand out towards the stone, “We can do it together.”

Once the stone bursts, we all duck as to avoid being hit by the pieces of the stone.

Delilah blacks out as I hold her, a bright light escaping into the world.

I hear a roar of thunder from outside, and softly lay Delilah onto the ground before getting up to go investigate the noise.

All the Dark Angels have fallen to the ground, Raviera looks on in disbelief and spots me.

“YOU!” He says racing towards the mountainside room. He is stopped by the white bright light filling up the sky, and crashing down. The bright sun fills the sky.

The City of Angels has been saved.

DELILAH

“Delilah...” I hear a soft voice whisper. I open my eyes, and I am lying on a bed in what looks like a hospital room. Travis, Death, Erika, Riley and the AI’s standing next to me. The sun shining bright in the window, I sit up and try to gather in my surroundings.

“Where am I...?” I ask looking into Travis’s eyes, something feels different about him.

“The City of Angels.” He says proudly.

“We...we did it?” I stutter out, and he nods happily.

“You saved our world, and the City of Angels.”