‹ Prequel: In an Instant
Sequel: Delilahs Darkness
Status: 2017 Nanowrimo Project!

City of Dark Angels

Not Heaven

"So what you're saying is, you created this City of Angels for the lost to go and find themselves again, and find peace after they die from the brink. And your brother whose name is Raviera has taken over the City of Angels and plans on making an army out of dark Angels to take over the world?" I summerize the entire story the best I can, both Travis and Death listening intently.

"Yes, but you left out a crucial component..." He trails off.

"And what would that be?" I cross my arms.

"It's not heaven, it's the in between. Kind of like the brink, but better. And not only the dead go there, but the lost souls of the living who've lost their way. I created this place for good intentions, but Raviera has ruined everything. He even broke your father out of jail to help him with his evil scheme. Also he's not taking over the world, he's ending it."

"So that's how he escaped..." I say, angrily.

"And how do we get to the city of Angels?" Travis asks leaning against the car door, a curiousity filling up inside his mind.

"See that's the thing, he's tossed me out and I can't get back in. He changed where the entrance is too so I can't even find it. Which is why I need your help."

"To do what?" I ask.

"Delilah, you've probably noticed lately that you're able to see things and people that aren't actually there. As well as the visions you've been having... And the dreams..."

"How do you know about that?"

"I just do, anyways thats your ability you've attained from the brink. Those people you've seen running amuck, they are the lost souls from the city... Reaching out to you to try and help them" He explains, and I try and place the peices of the puzzle together. "I believe that with your ability to see the City that maybe you can invision where the enterance is now located."

"I don't ask for these visions or dreams to happen, they just do." I say, feeling overwhelmed with the task at hand.

"Remember in the brink, when you focused on contacting the other side. Maybe if you do that again, but only focusing on finding that enterance you'll be able to see it." He says and I consider that for a moment.

"Okay... Okay..." I pace around for a moment, stepping in a small puddle and feeling it begin to soak up inside my shoe. "And what about my father? Why is he helping him?"

"He owes Raviera, for assisting him in the brink. He doesn't know I've asked for your assistance, so you have to be secretive about it." He says.

Suddenly I hear a scream from inside my mind, and I wince at the pain it gives me. Like an extreame migraine only 10 times worse.

I fall to the ground, my head in my hands just trying to make it stop.

"You hear that?" Death states as the screams in my mind start to slow down. "Those are the screams of those lost in The City of Angels. They are calling out to you Delilah. They need you."

"It.... Hurts." I wince as the pain finally comes to an end in my head. My vision is cleared and I glance up at Travis and Death, Travis has a look of worry on his face. Death almost looks satisfied.

"That's to be expected, it won't stop until the mission is complete."

"Okay, okay! I'll do it." The pain immediately ends.

"Great, meet me tomorrow! Call the same number you just did and I'll find you." He disappears into thin air and Travis and I share the same look of confusion.

"We might as well get a hotel for the night." He says getting back into the car pulling up a map on his phone. I jump into the drivers side and check the time, it's nearly 8 pm.

The closest one is about 15 minutes away, we pull out of the cafe parking lot and onto the darkening highway.

***

I wake at about three AM, glancing over at Travis who is fast asleep on the bed across the hotel room. The room is very cold, so I pull up the blankets and wrap it around myself to attempt to warm myself up.

I lay back down onto the pillow and stare up at the ceiling. The room suddenly starts spinning and I feel that intense feeling I felt earlier today. I close my eyes to try and make it go away, but when I open my eyes again I find myself in a different world. Darker and foggier compared to my own.

I reach out and feel the trees, the branches have a rough surface to them and the leaves are soft. But everything is gray, everything is so dark and gray.

I realize I must be in the city of Angels and I hear the screams of the lost souls all around me. Beakoning me to help them, to break them free of the torture and destruction they are trapped in. A girl steps out towards me, I recognize her as the girl from the gas station that disappeared on me. I want to reach out to her, to try and find out who she is and what she wants.

But the words won't escape my throat, they just linger there. Trapped by the forces of this place, she just watches me. Entranced by my energy, just when she is about to open her mouth to speak I am jolted awake, and back to my very own reality. Inside the hotel room, with Travis still asleep across the room from me. With everything still as it is, as it's supposed to be. As it always was.

I get up and take a walk to the balcony and step outside. The cool evening air feels nice against my skin. I stand against a railing and peer onto the quiet city streets.

"Can't sleep?" I hear Travis mutter from the doorway of the balcony.

"I guess I'm just nervous about everything going on, I keep getting these visions about the city of Angels and I just want it to stop." I confess and Travis joins me against the railing. Not saying anything at first, then starting off with a deep sigh.

"We just have to go with what Death said, just find out where the entrance to the city is and then maybe it will be done with."

"I just want my father back in prison where he belongs." I say, sighing in a rage of defeat.

"We'll get him there, and we won't let Raveria take over the city of Angels. I promise you Delilah, it will all work out. Let's get some sleep for a few hours." I nod in agreement and walk back inside the hotel room I make my way to my warm bed, as soon as my head hits the pillow I fall asleep into a dreamless slumber.