Voice of an Angel

Hey, I'm Percy

Percy spun into his last pose, holding it as the others chorused the last note. He waited, holding his potion for another beat, before turning. His chest heaving as he caught his breath, letting his hands fall to his sides. The others were catching their breath as well, though already scattering from their positions. Annabeth, their manager, was post-stretching against the far wall with Piper, their choreographer. On the floor a little ways away from them was Leo, their technician, he his arm flung over his eyes and was whining about being sore and cursing Percy’s name.

Normally Percy would get upset, except he knew Leo didn’t mean any of it and was just being dramatic as per usual. Besides it actually was Percy’s fault in more ways than one. Leo wouldn’t even be in the actual show if it weren’t for Percy. He’d overheard Leo singing to himself once while he was setting up the lights; Percy proceeded to bug him for the next month until he agreed to audition. The others had agreed his voice was amazing and it turned out he actually had some skill at dancing too. It was also Percy fault because he was freaking out about the competition next week and had extended practice another hour.

Clarisse was grumbling to Chris in the corner about Percy overworking them, Chris nodded every now and again but said nothing. Thalia was stretching by herself, humming her solo softly. Percy would never understand how she could stretch like that in skinny jeans, even as ripped up as they were. At least she took off her leather jacket and combat boots during practice, making feel slightly less like a pansy in comparison to her.

In the corner Connor and Travis were stretching and chatting, Percy couldn’t hear the brothers conversation but they were probably also complaining about the extension. Sighing he went over to the cooler to grab a water, he knew they were all complaining (except for Piper who wanted to extend practice by two hours and Thalia who only complained when snacks were forgotten) but it was okay. They were also nervous, this would be their biggest competition yet and if they won they got to go to nationals. He knew them griping at him was just their way of dealing with the nerves, so let them gripe away.

Connor and Travis migrated toward the cooler, and Percy finally heard what they were saying. He’d been wrong, they weren’t complaining about practice but rather Leo’s choice of clothes. Percy chuckled, after Leo joined he’d made the mistake of agreeing to a bet with the twins; he lost of course. His penalty for losing was he had to shave his legs and wear booty shorts to the next practice. Unfortunately for the twins, Leo look damn good in booty shorts and decided he liked it. So now they had to suffer through once a week practice with him dancing around in them. Today the impish boy was in a loose white tank top and black booty shorts, and black converse and apparently the twins were having a hard time coping.

Speaking of the Latino, he came sprinting over, his dark curls bouncing. He grabbed a Gatorade before sitting down and chugging half of it. “Seriously Perce, was an entire hour necessary?”

“Quit complaining, you don’t have a 12 hour practice tomorrow as well,” Thalia said from her spot on the floor. Leo stuck his tongue out at her, but she had a point. Thalia was also the captain of an archery group named The Huntresses and had practice twice a week with them, if anyone had the right to complain it was her. Well actually Clarisse had a right to complain too, she was part of a mix martial arts group and on top of weekly training did regular cage matches.

Everyone else needed to get over it though! Annabeth’s nerd club only met once a month, same with Leo’s robotics group (though he built on his own a lot) Connor and Travis weren’t apart of any other club, though they were famous on campus as hackers for hire (or just pranksters in general), Piper’s cooking class was only an hour long and Chris’s weekly trips to the gym were his own personal choice.

“You’re lucky I was merciful and didn’t agree with Piper,” Percy replied before sticking his tongue out at the smaller boy. Technically they could have practice as long as they want, whenever they want. Piper’s Dad, a rich actor, had bought them the studio as a graduation present for her. They actually rented it out to others for pretty cheap, it helped others out and gave them some extra cash for props, tech, and costuming (studio money was never spent on personal things).
Speaking of which, “Hey, Annabeth, did you get a hold of Rachel?”

The blonde paused her conversation with Piper to reply, “Yeah, she’s got the backdrop done and it’ll be here for our last practice, she also adjusted the costumes which she’s dropping off at your house later.”

Percy breathed a sigh of relief; Rachel was a friend of theirs majoring in art and design. She did all their sets and backdrops, she gave them a friends discount and they referred everyone who asked about their sets to her. It was a win/win relationship. Another thought popped in his head and he looked at the small Latino on the floor, “The light show is finished, right?”

Leo chuckled, “For the hundredth time today, yes it’s finished Percy. It’s been finished since last practice.”

“Don’t tease him so much, we all know why he’s so nervous about the performance,” Thalia said plopping down next to Leo, “Pass me my juice please.” Leo handed it to her, a fake pout on his lips.

“Yeah, he’s worried we’ll screw up his boyfriend’s song and make him hate him forever,” Clarisse said, her and Chris had also snuck over at some point apparently.

Thalia glared at her and Percy huffed, “He’s not my boyfriend; I’ve never even met him. The only thing I know is his name.”

“But you wish he was your boyfriend,” Connor teased.

“When are you gonna tell us Mr. Mysterious’s name anyway?” Travis asked with a pout.

“So you can use your computer skills to go stalk him? I don’t think so,” Percy replied with a glare.

“At least you’d know what he looks like then,” Clarisse said with a smirk.

“We should record the performance, make it go viral. The guy will see it and fall for Percy, his ultimate fanboy, it’ll be like a cheesy romcom,” Leo said grinning at the Stolls brothers.

Sighing Percy leaned against the wall as they all poked fun at him. Rachel had been at a concert a couple months back, and the opening band had been handing out free Demo CDs to people who bought merchandise. She’d bought a bracelet (because the design), and next practice she handed the CD to Percy swearing he’d love the band. Boy had she been right, Percy wasn’t usually picky about his music, he liked pretty much anything pop with a nice beat but when it came to more alternative bands he was extremely selective. They couldn’t be all angst, he needed real emotion. That seemed hard to find, but every once in awhile he’d find one he really liked. Angel Protection was one of those bands.

Their songs held such substance, and hit Percy in the center of his heart. He’d found himself screaming along with the man, who he later found out was actually better described as a boy. Apparently Rachel had hung around their booth and gotten to know them a little. Their guitarist and drummer were actually around Percy’s age and in college too, but the singer was just out of high school and the bassist was a high school senior. Percy was beyond surprised to find out the powerful and rich voice belonged to someone so young. He also felt sort of creepy; he’d fallen for that voice only to find out they were at least 3 years younger than him. He only had a voice and a name but that was enough for him to fall head over heels.

“You’ve got it so bad dude, I mean you had us change the entire show a month before competition just so we could do his song,” Chris said, slinging his arm around his girlfriend’s shoulders.

“I don’t want to hear it from you, Rodriquez. You had us perform ‘Can’t Help Falling in Love’ in the middle of a mall so you could ask Clarisse out,” Percy said finally opening his eyes to glare at the Hispanic male.

Chris blushed; Clarisse glared back at Percy before kissing Chris on the cheek. Annabeth and Piper finally wandered over to the cooler as well, both grabbing a tea out of it. The group stood in silence for a few minutes, everyone recovering from hours of singing and dancing. Finally Percy couldn’t stand it anymore.

He pushed himself off the wall, “Are you guys upset I changed the song?”

The group shared a look before falling into a fit of laughter, Percy frowned at them. “Seriously, Percy, you’re asking that now?” Annabeth said after calming down. Percy shrugged with a pout. “You don’t think we would have said something if we were upset about it?”

“I don’t know, I mean it was a last minute thing and, yeah you guys agreed when I asked, but that doesn’t mean you guys aren’t upset I did it,” he replied looking down at his shoes.

“No one is upset with you, Princess,” Clarisse said, rolling her eyes.

“Speak for yourself,” Connor huffed. “Yeah, Percy’s supposed to love us,” Travis said winking at Percy.

Percy rolled his eyes at the two, they were huge flirts but it was clear they both had their eye on someone. Still, he was happy to hear they weren’t mad at him for the last minute switch up. The song was just too good to pass up, the music was beautiful and the lyrics intense. As much as he wanted to keep the beautiful voice to himself Percy also wanted to share their music, for everyone to hear how amazing they were. It was also a bonus that they had a guarantee no one else would have the same song.

“Alright guys, I gotta get home. Tyson had his first date with Ella today and I’m sure he’s dying to tell me about it,” Percy informed them with a smile. All the girls, plus Leo, chorused “awe” upon hearing his reason for leaving. Tyson was Percy’s little brother and Ella was an incredibly sweet girl he’d met in his special education class.

“I need to get going too, I have a project waiting on me at home,” Leo said rising from the floor.

Everyone else circled up, slinging their arms over the shoulder of the people next to them. Everyone looked to Percy; guess it was his turn to pray. “We thank the gods for this chance to prove ourselves, Hygieia keep us healthy, Apollo help us sings, and Tyche keep us lucky.”

Percy looked up at the end and they all took a breath before chanting, “Music in my soul keeps happiness in my life, family not by blood but by melody, Alpha’s Omega till the day I die.”

Everyone broke apart to grab their things. The after practice prayer had been Piper’s idea, because luckily they were all pagan, but the creed had been Clarisse’s idea (though it was Rachel who came up with it). She insisted it would bring them closer, and Percy had to admit it did. It felt good to have it, and whenever he was upset he’d whisper it under his breath to remind himself he had friends to depend on.

Stepping outside the studio he saw his friend Grover and his girlfriend Juniper waiting for him. His car was in the shop (someone had slashed his tires) so Grover had agreed to chauffer him around for the next week till he got the money to replace them.

“Hey man!” he said fist bumping Grover, “you look lovely today, Junie.”

Juniper giggled, “Thanks, Percy, how was practice?”

“Really good, I think we really have a shot at winning this,” he grinned as Grover pulled out of the parking lot. “How did you do in your floral competition?”

“She won first place,” Grover bragged with a huge smile. A bright red blush spread over Juniper’s face, contrasting dramatically with her forest green hair. Percy smiled; they were too cute for words. They’d met during a “Save the Trees and Free the Bees” rally and the two nature lovers had fallen hard. Juniper owned a floral shop; she also was attending the local college for a botanist degree. Grover worked at what Percy referred to as the hippie shop, it sold organic foods, clothes made with organic fibers and dyes, instruments, wind chimes, plants, incense, power stones, and a bunch of other meditation items. It was a branch of his Aunt Iris’s company; he was actually wearing his ROFLcopter shirt at the moment.

“What about you, Grover, didn’t you enter something at hippiefest?” Percy asked, his friend had been tossing up a bunch of ideas and he couldn’t remember what he’d settled on.

“It was a Nature and Art Festival,” Grover corrected, “and I entered the Pan Pipe competition, I got 3rd.”

“Very nice, both of you,” Percy congratulated the couple. Grover pulled to a stop in front of Percy’s mom’s house. “Thanks for the ride man,” he said hopping out of the back.

“It’s no problem Perce, tell Ty congrats for us,” Juniper said with a smile.

“Will do, Junie,” Percy called as he ran to the door. He didn’t bother knocking, he might not live here anymore but it was still his home. He managed to shrug off his coat, and get his left shoe off before Tyson came running down the hall. The younger boy gave him a crushing hug, Percy laughed.

“I’m gonna suffocate, Ty,” he said gently easing his brother off of him.

“Sorry big brother,” Tyson apologized sheepishly.

Tyson in all reality was 16, turning 17 in 2 months, but had the emotional capacity of about a 10 year old. He wasn’t dumb, but he had issues reading atmospheres and other people’s emotions. The girl he’d been on a date with, Ella, was a girl he’d met in one of his Special Education courses. She was in a very similar situation to Tyson. She was actually a genius, with a high IQ and photographic memory, but emotionally she wasn’t as far as she should be. She was a year younger than Tyson and thought the boy just hung the moon.

“Don’t sweat it big guy, I’m gonna go drop my thing off in my room and then you can tell me all about your date, alright?” Percy said removing his other shoe.
Tyson blushed at the mention of his date but nodded eagerly. Percy ruffled his dark brown hair before heading to his room. Now it was true he no longer lived here, but don’t tell Sally Jackson that. His mother refused to do anything with his room, insisting Percy needed a proper bed for when he stay on holidays and breaks. Percy wasn’t ungrateful, but sometimes he worried what would happen after he graduated and ‘Officially’ moved out.

His college was on break for the next three weeks, which he was immensely pleased about. It meant he didn’t have to worry about homework and studying on top of competition. It also meant he got home made meals and time with his mom, stepfather, and little brother. He heard the door open, meaning Paul was home. Percy smiled; Paul was the greatest thing to ever happen to his mother.

His father, a rich politician, had a small short lived fling with his mother resulting in him, but it hadn’t lasted to see Percy’s first birthday. Sally, a single mother, had been in a vulnerable state and fallen victim to a sleazebag names Gabe Ugliano. The bastard had beaten his mother, unknown to Percy for years, until Percy himself had been on the receiving end of his wrath. Percy however fought back and broke his jaw, Gabe tried to press charges and the investigation revealed his domestic abuse. Gabe had gone to jail and Sally started going to support group. Around a year later she met Paul; the man had swept her off her feet and stuck around even after she told him about her past. Five years later found them married and happier than ever, Percy would be forever grateful to Paul.

Percy dumped his bag on his bed before heading to the living room. Paul was on the couch, Tyson leaning over the back rambling on to him about the pretty earrings Ella wore today. Paul was smiling and listening intently. That was another thing he had Paul to thank for, Tyson. When Percy was 15 Tyson’s birth mother had passed away and the boy had been sent to live with his father, Poseidon. The politician couldn’t handle the scandal his illegitimate child would cause, so he’d called Sally and begged her to take the boy in. For all his faults, Percy did admit his father loved him and his brother; he paid regular child support and had made sure Gabe got the full sentence. So naturally he refused to put Tyson in the foster system.

This was about a year into Paul and Sally’s relationship; his mother had been so scared of how Paul would react to the news. To everyone’s surprise when Paul arrived home to find Tyson running around calling Percy big brother, he’d simply picked the 10 year old up and asked what his favorite TV show was. Tyson had replied with and enthusiastic ‘POWER RANGERS DINO THUNDER!’ Paul sat down with the boy in his lap, pulling up the on demand and put Power Rangers on for him.

Percy was about to go plop down in the recliner when there was a knock at the door. He called out that he’d get it before making his way to the door. When he opened it he was greeted by a beaming red head. Rachel was dressed in her usual clothes, paint splattered jeans and all.

“Your costumes, sir,” she said in a pompous voice, presenting him with a box.

“Why thank you,” Percy said, matching her voice as he accepted the package. They both burst into laughter, amused by their own silliness.

“New shade of blue,” Rachel noted, her green eyes observing the walls.

“Yeah, mom decided it was time for a change, wanna come see the furniture?” Percy asked, nodding his head in the direction of the living room.

“Sure, I’m gonna miss the Aqua though. What is this, Periwinkle?” she asked making her way into the house.

Percy butt bumped the door shut, following her into the living room, “I think the name was ‘Storming Sea’.”

“Oh! I love this material,” Rachel said running her hands over the recliner, “It’s so soft, and it complements the couch so well! Tell me again why your mother isn’t an interior decorator?”

“Because Mom loves writing too much,” Tyson said, giving Rachel a toothy grin. He liked Rachel because she let him come over to her studio apartment and paint with her.

“Ah yes,” Rachel said, acting as if she’d actually forgotten.

Sally stuck her head in the living room, “Are you staying for dinner Rachel? We’ve got enough.”

“Pass up the offer of free food, made by Sally Jackson, saving me the trouble of cooking for myself? I’d have to be crazy to refuse!”

“Good to hear,” Sally chuckled at the artist, “Percy, dear, will you set the table?”

Percy nodded, heading for the cabinet and grabbing plates. As he set the table Tyson explained to Rachel what was happening in the episode of Adventure Time he was watching. Rachel helped Sally bring all the food out and then they all sat down for dinner. Percy sent a silent prayer to the Gods, Rachel doing the same (Seriously what was with ALL of his friend also being pagan?) before digging in.

“So Ty, where did you take Ella today?” Percy asked looking at his younger brother.

“To the library! Ella loves books, so we sat and read for a while. Mom brought up a picnic and the Librarian let us eat it in the back,” he said grinning and blushing, “she kissed me on the cheek before she left and told me she really liked me!”

“That’s adorable,” Rachel cooed at him, making Tyson giggle and blush harder.

Tyson looked down at his plate, “I think I’m gonna ask her to be my girlfriend on Monday.”

“I’m sure she’ll say yes,” Sally chimed in, smiling at her youngest child. Tyson beamed back at her, digging into his plate again.

Dinner continued with small talk, mainly about Rachel and her recent projects. Rachel didn’t have a very good relationship with her parents and, as she did with so many kids, Sally had adopted her into the family. Percy and Rachel cleared the table together; Tyson grabbed the cups because he demanded to help. After that Rachel had to go, she wanted to get up early tomorrow to paint the dawn sky. Tyson went to his room, planning on finishing him homework before going to bed.

Percy sighed, kissing his mom’s cheek before heading to his own room. He collapsed on the bed, all the activity of the day catching up with his body and making him sore. Groaning he rolled over, glancing at the box on the floor. He sat up, pulling it closer and opening it. Grinning, he pulled on of the outfits out, they were perfect!
He carefully put it back in the box, heading to his dresser. He pulled out his pajamas, throwing his clothes in the direction of his hamper and changing. Percy collapsed on his bed again; Competition was going to be the greatest moment of his life so far. With that thought he promptly passed out.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize if I butcher any languages. I'm learning Italian but I'm very new and I know nothing about Spanish. I did it because in my story those are their first languages and I want to incorporate them. If you'd like to correct me please feel free, but please don't be rude.