Voice of an Angel

Love At First Song

Percy was not freaking out, no sir. He was calm and collected, not pacing back and forth. Annabeth was not telling him to do breathing exercises. Nope none of that was happening. Except his heart was pounding and he felt like running and screaming because THEY WERE ON NEXT AND THIS WAS THE NATIONAL QUALIFYING CHAMPIONSHIPS AND DEAR GODS DON’T LET HIM FUCK UP. See totally calm.

The Stolls brothers grabbed him by the shoulders and forced him down into a chair, “Breathe man, you’re making everyone antsy. We’re nervous enough without our fearless leader practically passing out from anxiety.” They lectured him in unison, like a parent would their child.

“I’m not nervous and since when am I the ‘fearless leader’?” he griped staring up at them. They simultaneously shook their heads at him.

“Percy take a deep breath and remember we’ve been practicing this for 4 weeks and the last 6 practices have been flawless, we’re going to own that stage,” Piper reassured him, a smiling Annabeth sending him a thumbs up from next to her.

Percy frowned at his feet, “I just… I can’t stop thinking about what you guys said. Tons of people will record this, what if it does go viral. Gods, what if he actually saw this?”

Leo smacked Travis in the arm, “Look at what you two did! He’s freaking out because of what you said.”

The identical brothers look at him indignantly, “You’re the one who said it!”

“Beside the point! Look at him, he’s wigging out man. You caused it, you fix it,” the impish boy made flailing gestures at Percy.

“He’s so lucky he’s cute,” Connor grumbled to Travis, following his brother to stand in front of Percy.

“Then you best make this the best damn performance you’ve ever given,” Travis lectured the older boy, his arms crossed over his chest. “You want to impress this guy don’t you? Do his song justice?” Connor demanded matching his brother’s tone and stance. “So we’re gonna go out there and make this the best show anyone has ever seen so that if and when you’re lover boy sees those videos he see how amazing you are and how much you love his music and finds you’re oblivious ass.” They stood staring at the ravenette; his green eyes were wide and his expression slack with shock.

He finally seemed to collect himself, shaking his head and smiling at his group. “You’re right, let’s go out there and kick Octavian’s ass. I’ve had enough of that smarmy douche, freakin act like he’s descended from Apollo himself. Pompous ass naming his team New Rome.”

“And just in time,” Annabeth smiled, “We’re on in five- who has got prayer?”

“Me!” Leo volunteered, waving his hand frantically. The group circled up, slinging their arms across each other’s shoulders. “Apollo keeps us stay in tune, Dionysus help us perform, and may the fates be kind. As always we look to you for strength and guidance, watch over us tonight.” The group stared the Latino surprised by the sincerity of his prayer; he just gave them a crooked smile back.

Clarisse smirked before starting the chant and the others joined in, “Music in my soul keeps happiness in my life, family not by blood but by melody, Alpha’s Omega till the day I die.”

A crew member running the competition came over to them, “Alright you’re on.” They nodded in response, giving each other one last smile before heading to their entrances.

Nico’s POV

These chairs were ridiculously uncomfortable. Nico huffed and squirmed in his chair again, Reyna swatted his arm and hissed at him to stay still. It was her fault they’d gotten here a whole two performances early, he’d already had to sit through a lousy rendition of “Don’t go breaking my heart” and it was 15 minutes between each performance apparently and they still had one performance to go before Hazel and Frank took the stage.

He slumped in his seat, preparing to endure whatever show choir horror was to be dished up next. Nico was staring at the ceiling when the opening notes started, it sounded familiar. He bolted up in his seat, that melody. Glancing to his left he saw Reyna and Jason staring at him just as surprised. They looked to the stage to see the acapella group filtering in. It was their song, they were singing their song! Here came the lyrics!

Nico stared wide eyed as a handsome green eyed man came out. The timber of his voice made the Italian weak in the knees as the dark haired beauty sang his lyrics. The group was dressed in all black, dancing gracefully across the stage. As the song continued they started tearing at their clothes, stripping pieces of the fabric to reveal rainbow colors underneath.

The obsidian eyed boy stared in wonder. They actually got it; most people misinterpreted the song to be about unrequited love when it was in fact about his time spent in the closet. He watched the sea eyed boy intently, he understood Nico’s lyrics. Something warm swelled in his chest, that beautiful thing understood his song. He watched the whole performance with rapt attention, his eyes rarely leaving the lead vocalist. He caught sight of two boys in the group, and even from this distance he was sure it was Connor and Travis. Oh was he going to have a talk with those two about not telling him about their gorgeous friend over there. As the final note struck, he felt disappointed to watch him leave the stage.

He fell back into his seat, looking to Reyna and Jason again. The pair was again looking back, smiling at him like 3 year olds with new toys. “That, that was our song,” he said dumbstruck. Jason nodded at him “Hades yes it was! Dude, this is amazing!”

Nico ran a hand through his hair, this was insane. His phone buzzed, he opened it to see a text from Hazel, “THAT WAS OUR SONG!!!!!!” He chuckled texting her back an ‘I KNOW!’. He freaked out with Jason and Reyna for the 15 minute break before quieting down for Hazel and Frank’s performance. As he watched he felt torn because as much as he loved his sister, the previous group had done so much better- she should switch to their group. After New Rome left the stage, Nico, Jason, and Reyna left their seats. They joined up with Hazel and Frank in the lobby, the pair led them to New Rome’s waiting area- there were a handful of performances before the winners were announced.

Surprisingly the pair were not freaking out about their own performance but the one before them. Nico learn the group went by the name Alpha’s Omega, an interesting name indeed. The group were discussing the show when a head of red popped in. “Oops! Sorry wrong room,” she apologized before realizing who they were. “Oh, hey! I don’t know if you remember me or not, I’m Rachel I was at a show of yours a while back.”

“I remember,” Hazel smiled, “you hung around our merch tent for a quite a while, how’s your art coming? The muses being kind to you?”

“It’s going great! If you saw Alpha’s Omega perform I do their sets and costuming,” Rachel chirped happily.

“You know them?” Nico blurted out without thinking. Rachel gave him a funny look but nodded, “Yeah I’m really close friends with one of the founding members, why?”

The Italian blushed, “No reason, just they performed one of our songs.”

Rachel laughed, “Oh yeah, forgot about that. That was Percy’s doing, he’s a huge fan of yours.”

Nico stared at her curious, “Percy?”

“Hmmm, oh yeah, he’s my friend. Tall, tan, sea green eyes and black hair- can’t miss him,” she joked, “I gave him your CD, he’s a big fan.”

“Well tell him we said thanks,” Reyna asked politely.

“Will do, though I meant that more specifically. Don’t get me wrong he loves all your music but he’s got a huge crush on Nico, or at least his voice and lyrics anyway, he’s got no clue what you look like.” The redhead winked at Nico in a conspiratorial way, the boy blushed. “Why are you guys here anyway? Not your usual kind of performance.”

“Hazel and Frank are in a group called New Rome, the rest of us are moral support,” Jason chimed in, grinning mischievously at Nico.

“Oh you poor things, having to deal with Octavian and his bullshit!” Rachel gave them a sympathetic look, she glanced down at her watched, “well it was good seeing you but I best be heading out, I have to find Percy and the gang. Congratulate them on a good performance and all that- see ya later!”

Nico stared after the paint splattered girl in shock. That drop dead gorgeous guy had a crush on him; this was officially the best day of his life.

Percy’s POV

That. Was. Amazing! The performance went perfect! Take that Octavian, you arrogant dick! He high fived Annabeth and swung Leo around in a hug. The whole group laughed at him, he was just so happy. Nothing could make today better! Well accept maybe winning that would make it better. Speaking of which, the results should be back soon.

As if summoned by his thoughts, a stage hand knocked on the door, “it’s time for the awards.” They followed her back to the stage, crowding on with the other competing teams. They linked hands and waited with bated breath. A group new to the circuit won third place, New Rome won second much to Octavian’s obvious displeasure even though that meant they would go to Nationals. This was it.

“And in first place, and moving on to Nationals is,” the announcer paused, opening the envelope, “ALPHA’S OMEGA.”

Percy almost passed out, they’d done it. By the Gods they’d done! THEY WERE GOING TO NATIONALS! He picked up the closest person to him, Piper, and spun her around before stepping forward to accept their trophy. The announcer congratulated him and offered him the mic. “Thank you to the judges, the audience, our set and costume designer and maker Rachel Dare, and of course the writers and original performers of our song Angel Protection,” he grinned lifting the trophy before being lifted by his group and carried off stage.

Once back in their room they set him down. They all shared a big group hug. That reminded him, they hadn’t seen Rachel yet. “Hey Pipes, can you text Rach and tell her to meet us at the Greek Place? I don’t want to have to try and find her in the crowd.” The Native American girl nodded pulling out her phone.

“As promised dinner is on me,” Clarisse announced with a huge smile, the others whooped in joy. They rushed to pack and load their things. Percy bumped into someone; it was a boy a few years younger than him. His skin tone and features made Percy guess he had Italian ancestors; the boy stared at him, his mouth open. “Sorry cutie, my bad!” he apologized to the boy before moving around him to rush outside and pile into a vehicle to head to the restaurant.

Rachel met them there and they all piled into their usual booths in the back. “Congratulations! You guys were amazing.”

“Thanks, Carrot,” Leo replied, he was sandwiched between the Stolls brothers. The pair grinned at the artist, “Yeah, thanks Rach. The set was awesome- heavy but awesome.”

“Think Lover Boy will be proud of that performance?” Annabeth teased Percy as the waitress took their drink order.

Percy blushed “Oh hush, he probably won’t even see it.”

“Oh, that reminds me! I’m supposed to say thank you, from Reyna and the others,” Rachel announced turning around in her seat and leaning over to the other booth.
“Who?” Chris asked confused.

“The lead guitarist for Angel Protection, the whole band wanted to thank you for performing their song,” She clarified.

Percy stared at her, “They were there, he was there?” Rachel nodded her head. “Why didn’t you tell me?” he cried in utter disbelief, “Why was he there, did you know he was going to be there?”

“Calm down, Perce,” she huffed, “I didn’t know. Apparently his sister Hazel and her boyfriend are in New Rome, the rest tagged along to watch. I would have told you but I couldn’t find you. I accidentally ran into them trying to find your room.”

Connor and Travis exchanged a trouble maker look, his sister Hazel huh? Oh boy did Di Angelo have some explaining to do, and did they have a scheme to hatch!
The gang ate in celebration, Percy only pouting a little at the lost chance to meet his crush. It didn’t last long though; they were going to nationals after all.