Voice of an Angel

Why Do You Do This

After a short and awkward 10 minute drive Nico found himself squished between Percy and Jason. Percy was being very patient with his social awkwardness, which Nico was insanely grateful for. Every time Percy would ask him something he'd fumble with his words in an attempt to answer. It was awful and embarrassing but Percy acted like nothing was amiss which was making it easier for Nico. Currently Percy was asking about how he got into music.
"My Mama made me take piano lessons as a kid. I leaned piano wasn't really my instrument, much to Mama's disappointment, but I loved the creativity of it. It let me express myself even without words, getting things off my chest without having to actually confess anything. Then when I finally started writing lyrics as well it was like I found my voice for the first time. Music is the most freeing thing I've ever experienced."
Percy smiled at him, "Wow, that's..... really heavy. Powerful and amazing but heavy."
Nico laughed, finally relaxing a little making percy smile, "Heavy? Are you from the 60's or something?"
Percy made a show of pretending to be offended. He sat up straight, threw his head back and and put a hand to his chest. "How rude, I'm only like 4 years older than you. Besides there's nothing wrong with the 60's." He could only keep the act up for a few seconds longer though before he burst into a fit of laughter, the rest of the table joining in.
"What about you? How did you get into show choir and a capella?" Nico asked as he caught his breath.
Percy sobered, his face suddenly wistful and serious, "I was in a really bad place in middle school. My mom was married to a real piece of shit and I had a bad streak of luck that made all my teachers think I was a troublemaker and the other kids picked on me because of my learning disability. I was hiding in the choir room one day crying when the choir director found me. Chiron didn't ask questions just said I could use the choir room whenever I needed. I saw the show choir practicing in there a lot and slowly he convinced me to join. Been my escape ever since." He smiled at Nico who stared at him in awe.
"Wow, that's heavy," he teased to lighten the mood, Percy laughed with him.
"I don't think you can go very far with music without having a passion for it," Percy shrugged, taking a drink.
Annabeth suddenly leaned over the table, her grey eyes fixed on Nico. "We usually stick to a capella performances, but how would you like to collaborate with us for a promotional event?"
"Um," Nico looked to the rest of the band who all shrugged or nodded, "sure. We could do that."
The blonde grinned at him, "perfect!"