Status: New?

Bury Me

Daddy Dearest

I stand up and peak through the window when I see Willow’s head lights in the drive way. She’s late, though, I’m not surprised.

She gets out of her car and leans against the door. She looks up at the sky with what looks like pain in her eyes. She seems to have had a bad day. I smile to myself this is going to be easier then what I thought. I knew that my words from the other day were still clicking in her mind and by the look on her face I can see that she that the wheels in her head are still turning.

I walk away from the window and stand in the living room. I hear the door clicking open. She tosses her bag down on the ground and tiredly pulls out her phone.

“You’re home late.”

She stops dead in her tracks. She looks like a deer in headlights. I’ve caught her off guard I can imagine she’s quit shocked to see me standing in her living room.

“Dad?” She walks up the four little steps and into the living room. A look of relief shows on her face as she walks over to me. “How did you get into my house?” She wraps her arms around me and for a brief second I feel slightly guilty about why I am here. She looks like she needs comfort but I’ve never been the comforting type.

I gently rub her back. “I called Jared. Told him I wanted to surprise my girl.”

She pulls away and heads for the couch. She looks exhausted. I know that she has been in school for the past eight hours but I expected her to be a little perkier. Instead of following suit I walk over to her fire place that holds pictures of her and Jared on the upper shelf. “Man of many hairstyles.” I point to a picture of him with long hair. The end of it is bleached blond and he’s got that outrageous eyeliner under his eyes. I love my daughter but this is not how I want her life to go. This guy is a disgrace to men all over the world.

She nods her head and grabs the throw blanket to cuddle up to. “He’s a man of many things.”
I shake my head. I don’t know where I went wrong with her. She used to be a young version of myself but the moment she moved to California with her mother everything changed. She became too much of a free spirt and wanted to join the liberal posy. I knew I shouldn’t have procreated with her mother. The older that she gets the more she strays away from everything that I had planned for my only child. In order to keep her safe I knew what I had to do. I needed to get her away from these people that she called her ‘family’.

I sit down on the couch across from her. She’s playing on her phone. She’s probably texting that boyfriend of hers. I cringe at the thought of them being together for any longer. She isn’t supposed to be with him. She needs someone that can take care of her. “Any chance you’ll be getting rid of him?” I try to make it sound like a joke, but I’ve never been one for making jokes.

She looks up from her phone and shakes her head no. “Dad.” She draws out the A for dramatic effects. She’s a spitting image of her late mother.

“Hun.” I sit up straight and adjust my suit. “You deserve more than this. This is a lifestyle that will fade out in a couple years and you will be left with what, Jared? I mean come on. The guy wears eyeliner and I’m almost positive he wears you’re shirts.” I chuckle at the thought.

“I don’t want to do this.” She pulls the blanket over her head.

“Willow, you’ve been in California long enough, and for what? A guy who is never home? You don’t deserve that. You deserve a man who is going to be there for you at all times.” I smile to myself as I think Richard, my protégé at the firm. Now, that man has his life together and he is well deserving of someone like my daughter. He would take care of her mentally, physically, and financially.

She pulls the blanket off of her head and runs her fingers through her hair. I can tell I’m getting under her skin, but I know the more I fill her with doubt about Jared, the more likely she is to leave him.

“I don’t know, dad!” She throws her hands up in defeat. “You have to get over this disapproval thing you have with Jared. We’ve been together for five years and honestly he’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I’m not changing my mind about him.”

I rub my temples and lean back against the couch. “A father can only dream I suppose.” I glance at the time on my phone. It’s nearing five O’clock and I still have to go speak with one of my clients while I’m here. “Willow. I’m not here to break you and your boyfriend up. I honestly could care less about him. At this point I’m worried about your future. You have great opportunities in front of you. I don’t want you to throw it away because of what, this?” I say showcasing the pictures on the wall. “Don’t you think mom would have wanted you to be happy? You look miserable here and face it you belong in New York with me, your real family.”

Willow pushes her black hair behind her ears. A frown replaces her usual grin as she thinks about the words that I’ve said to her. “I’m not miserable. You caught me on a Wednesday night. I’m half way through my week and I’m exhausted.” She takes in a deep breath. “You’d like Jared if you tried to get to know him. You two have a lot in common, but you won’t give him a shot to prove himself worthy or whatever the hell you are wanting.”

I roll my eyes at her. That boy and I have nothing in common. “Well, tell me this. Is he going to move to New York when you take the job?”

Worry rests in her hazel eyes. I can’t be sympathetic in this situation. I feel no guilt for trying to pry her away from this lifestyle.

“Willow, by now you would know if you and Jared were going to be together forever. I mean five years and no ring on your finger? I think that’s saying quite a bit about him. You need to face that this is Jared’s world and you’re just another puppet in it.” I stand up and straighten out my tie. I’ve said enough to get the wheels in her head going. “I’ve got some work I need to take care of while I’m here. I better get going.”

She nods her head and pulls the blanket off of her body. She lazily stands up and gives me a tight hug. I’ve got her right where I want her. “I’ll see you soon dad. Sorry I’m not more fun. I’ve just got a lot to think about and I’m tired.”

I start towards the door with her at my side. “Think about the offer. It’s your turn to shine. You’ve stuck by his side long enough while he’s done his childish band thing.” I grab her into another hug. “You have a bright future. Jared, is pushing thirty-five. His career will be over soon and he’ll have enough money to move on to the next young pretty girl who falls for his charisma or whatever you’d like to call it. I personally call it money.”

She pulls away and opens the door. “Love you dad.”

I nod my head as I exit the door. “You too, sugar.” She shuts the door and I start to walk to my car. I see her slide down the glass door with her phone to her ear. She must be calling Jared. And that ladies and gentlemen is how you do it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts about this chapter?