It Cannot Get Any Worse

"Kill Them All"

Thinking things through, Darrin realized he had no choice, he had to call in. The job was blown and this mess would be all over the news soon. The Family had police connections and likely already knew if there were any 911 calls. He could not hide from it, so he may as well seek instructions.

He called Brandon. Brandon was the closest thing to a big boss that Darrin knew. Brandon was already aware the job went bad. Darrin filled him in and Brandon said, “this is all over police radio but there is still only one cop on the island. We have arranged to open both bridges and lock them so no one is getting on or off the island for a while. We have a crew nearby, they are in a boat already on their way to meet you at the Harry Bennett house. Probably ten minutes or less. Take them and go back and finish everyone. Then get rid of the car and come back in the boat with the crew. If you cannot burn the car, put it in the river - deep in the river. If you cannot get Bobby out in the boat, leave him in the car when you ditch it or burn it. This is fucked up Darrin. Not good.”

Brandon hung up before Darrin realized he had no idea who Harry Bennett is or where his house might be.

Darrin removed his fanny pack and dug around inside. He always carried a shot of morphine ever since Crazy Bobby blew that mess in Cleveland and Darrin got shot in the foot. He almost got left behind because he could not walk. Getting left behind and continuing to breathe were not compatible. You never know when those who get left behind might be made to talk, unless of course they are not breathing. A shot of morphine can save your life. It can make the difference between getting out and getting left behind. Kind of a shame to waste it on a psycho, but he needed Ely. He handed the shot to Ely and simply said “Morphine.” Then he leaned over the seat to look at Bobby.

Bobby looked bad. His eyes were open and he was breathing, but he did not move. His chest and lungs appeared crushed where the tire went over him. His throat was bleeding profusely. Darrin's clothes were already soaked with Bobby's blood from carrying him after Darrin ran him over. Darrin waved his hand in front of Bobby’s eyes and sharply yelled “Bobby, . . . Bobby sit up.” Bobby's eye followed his hand, but otherwise Bobby did not move at all. His throat made a gurgling sound.

“Bobby's out. Can you work?” Darrin asked Ely. Ely rasped, “Yes. Kill them all, all of them, fuckers! They die.” Then he moaned and held his hand to the shirt tied around his face

“Crew is on the way. Ely.” You are not much use he thought.

“I am coming with. Kill them all. Watch them die” Ely virtually screamed.