It Cannot Get Any Worse

Noah's Ark

Darrin waited by the shore. He could hear the boat coming up the river. The Caddy was parked in an empty driveway near the Harry Bennet house. Darrin discovered he only had to find someone weeding their garden, and in his nicest neighbor voice ask her if she knew Harry Bennett. After getting a five minute history lesson, Darrin learned Harry Bennett was Henry Ford’s former thuggish enforcer and union buster who built a house/fortress out over the river. It was now owned by the Benchman Chemical Corporation. Hopefully they would restore it to its former splendor. He also learned it was just down the road.

The lady looked questioningly at the hole though he top of the Cadillac. Fortunately she could not see through the tinted back windows where Crazy Bobby lay unmoving, or the less tinted front window where Ely sat rocking back and forth and moaning. This time, Darrin was careful to leave the windows closed and get out of the car quickly to ask directions. Darrin had broken off the big stick stuck in the fender. He had sunglasses and a hat on and the lady did not seem all that suspicious, so he decided not to shoot her. That would just attract more attention.

The car was a wreck. In addition to the holes in it from giant arrows, one front wheel was canted to the side. Darrin had to keep the steering wheel half a turn to the left just to make the car got straight. Darrin did not understand all these wealthy homes and boats with road that literally wreck your car in one trip. Inside, the back seat and front seat were covered in blood. They needed to ditch the car, it had become a liability.

No one was at the Bennett house and it was locked up. It did look like a fortress. However there was a nice dock and it was wide open. This is where the crew would come in.

A good sized Boston Whaler pulled up to the dock. It had "Noah's Ark" emblazoned across the front at each side.

Darrin knew little about bouts, but he did like reading the often humorous names. This seemed like a stupid name for boat. the real Noah's Ark drifted around out of control until it happened to crash somewhere. Darrin thought the Bibllical Noah was an idiot to drift around in the ark with no plan at all.

There were six guys. Darrin knew four of them. This was a better crew than Ely and Crazy Bobby. Why didn’t they give him this crew to begin with?

Noah was driving the boat, “Darrin, Brandon said you are to get rid of the car now, and Bobby too if he is not able to come with us after the job is done. Everyone else leaves in my boat. We have about fifteen minutes, the State Police are sending a Helicopter and a Wayne County Sheriff boat is on its way. Brandon said you will get the job done, or you may as well join Crazy Bobby in the car when you burn it or ditch it in the river.” Noah smirked at that part, they were not friends.

“Your boat?” Darrin asked.

Noah grinned. "Yeah, cool name don'tcha think? See, I am Noah and this is my boat and Noah in Sunday school was the ark guy with all the animals. See? I can be clever too Mr. Thinker."

This bozo brought his own registered boat to a job? Then he sticks his name on it for everyone to see? Idiot! Apparently Darrin was supposed to be impressed by Noah's huge boat. It should have been named "The Compensator" Darrin just stared at Noah in disgust while thinking about shooting him. He is going to get busted and then cop a plea and sell us all out.

Noah continued babbling loudly, “Yeah, we were having a party at my place in Wyandotte after smashing some computers when they called and told me to get people in my boat and hightail it over here to clean up your mess for you.”

“A party? Are you all drunk?”

“Not too bad, only a little, except Cheesecake, but he is always wasted. What is the plan, plan man?”

Darrin had to sit and think this through. He figured four guys plus him and Ely would be more than enough to take out a handful of spear throwers. He was certain Ely would refuse to be left out of the attack, given that all he said for the past ten minutes was “Kill them all.” The other two can deal with the car. But he needed someone who would not mess this up while on their own. He also needed to get Noah out of his hair.

“Noah and Jason, you are going to get rid of the car and Bobby. Jason, drive the car and drop us off just before the house. It is all wooded and they will not see us. Then take the car about a mile north on this road, there is a boat ramp. Noah will bring the boat down there and meet you. Tie that strap onto the car and hook it to the boat. Jason, put the car in gear, jump out and shut the door. Make sure the windows are all closed. The car will go into the water, and float for a bit. Noah will pull it as far out into the river as you can. We need it sunk deep. If you get it out to the channel it is about forty feet deep. That will keep it lost for a long time. When it starts to sink, cut the strap and pick up Jason, Then come back here and wait for us. If anyone who is not one of us, comes here, shoot them.”

Jason hesitated, “but crazy Bobby?”

“Bobby is already dead. Do not worry about it. We are going to go get the people who did this to him”

Jason and Crazy Bobby were drinking buddies. It would do them no good to know Bobby was probably still alive, nor that Bobby was really dead or dying because Darrin had run him over when he fell out of the car. Let them blame the targets, it might be useful.

Jason got into the drivers seat of the Caddy. Darrin got into the back seat next to Bobby. The others tried to pile into the front seat with moaning Ely. No one wanted to sit in the back with “dead” Bobby. Darrin thought it best if no one did. Someone might notice Bobby was still breathing. Darrin leaned over the seat and opened the glove box and hit the remote for the trunk. “Just sit in the trunk. It isn’t even half a mile.”

The four guys squeezed into the trunk and then knocked on the side to signal they were ready to go. They left the trunk lid open. The one cop around was probably too preoccupied right now to worry about a bunch of guys sitting in an open trunk. Jason drove them to the corner, about 400 feet from the target’s house. Everyone but Bobby and Jason piled out of the car. As they unloaded, a police car came screaming down the road with the lights on and sirens blaring and turned into the driveway. The guys looked nervous.

“There is only one cop here. No back up, at least for ten minutes or more. Andrew – you take care of the cop.”

Andrew had killed a policeman before, it would not bother him. Some people were very nervous about it.

“You? Todd, is it? and I will come in the front and take out the target. They will have taken him into the basement if they can. Shoot everyone you see. Body first, then a head shot when they are down. Ely and James, you go through the woods right here. James, look after Ely. He can barely see. Ely, if you cannot stay quiet, go drown yourself in the river – quietly. Cheesecake and you “other guy,” loop around and come in the back. There are several people there, and they may have someone watching. Shoot everyone you see. I do not want anyone coming into the house from the back. No witnesses, no surprises. Got it?”

They all nodded and ran for the woods.

Todd was a young one. He was pretty new to field work and was connected somehow to the Family by blood, so Darrin wanted him close so he could keep an eye on him. Darrin, Todd and Andrew ran to the woods across the street. They could run along the river hidden by the trees and take the cop and whomever was in the house by surprise. Darrin winced as he thought this through. This was a mess. Would the people be gone? Would they actually try to fight? What if we lose more people? One way or another, Bobby was dead. The Family will be unhappy. This whole mess will be in the media for months. It will likely be national. Darrin realized that, at best, he will have to leave the country again. Maybe forever. The Family may have already decided his fate. Maybe they will let him live if he fixed the disaster and accomplished the hit without further problems. Maybe not. Well, his brother had been bothering him to go up to Nova Scotia and help him with his fishing business. Maybe it was time to get out of enforcement. Darrin didn’t really like it anyway, not like Ely.