It Cannot Get Any Worse

Farewell Crazy Bobby

Jason drove up the road and easily found the boat ramp Darrin had mentioned. It was at the end of a long driveway that cut across the slope down to the water. Noah was waiting for him in the boat a few feet offshore. Noah threw him the strap. Jason took the strap from the boat and crawled under the car. He hooked the strap around a control arm and passed the loose end to Noah. Noah had turned the boat around and he now clipped the strap to a handle on the back of the boat. Noah idled the boat out until the strap was tight. “Don’t gun it” he called “I need to stay in front of it”.

Jason opened the car and started the engine. He put the car in gear and inched forward a bit. Then he opened the door and rolled out, slamming the door behind him. He thought he heard Bobby make a gurgling sound as he rolled out. That was not possible though. Bobby was dead. Darrin said so.

The car rolled forward slowly and the front end sank into the water, but the front wheels were caught on the rocks at the edge of the water. It was stuck, but it was still running. Noah backed up to the shore and yelled “see if it will back up.” Jason got in the car and backed it out of the river. He got out to figure what to do next.

“Put a rock on the accelerator and do it again” said Noah. Jason backed the car up all the way to the top of the embankment to give it some room to gain momentum. He could not find a rock but he found a log that he propped against the accelerator. The car was running full tilt. Jason put the car in gear while standing on the brake. He opened the door and jumped. There was no time to close the door.

The car leapt forward and lurched off to one side. Rather than going off the boat ramp, it flew off the embankment right at Noah's boat and out into the water with a splash. It was floating! Sort of. Noah was yelling. The front of the car was sitting on the back of the boat and the front of the boat was sticking up into the air. As the car settled, the front of the boat began to stick up further. The current caught the car and it began moving slowly downstream. Jason was not sure it was far enough out to sink. It was hard to tell. Noah was sawing at the strap with knife, but Jason did not see how that would help since the front edge of the car was on the boat. As the car settled, even more, water began pouring into the boat. Jason ran to the water and began to wade out to help. The water got deep fast and the shoreline was all piled rocks. Jason slipped on a slime covered rock and turned his ankle, he fell and took a jarring blow to his arm. He was also soaked through. As he got up, Jason saw Noah grab a life jacket and jump out of the boat. Noah was swept away in the current. The car was settling lower in the water and did not move along as quickly. Suddenly the boat flipped completely over on top of the car, and the car sank out of sight. “Farewell Crazy Bobby” Jason said to himself. Jason climbed out of the water and sat down. His ankle was throbbing, probably broken or at least sprained he figured. He soaked it in the icy cold water a while longer while he sat shivering and thinking and watching the upside down boat get pulls lower and lower into the water by the sinking car. The car was no longer visible.

In the distance Jason heard gunfire. Five rapid shots from a large pistol. everyone in the family used .45 automatics, hopefully it was Darrin taking out the target and the assholes who who killed crazy Bobby. Jason would miss that wacko Bobby, he was fun to hang with.

Jason took out his gun, and began to walk in that direction. However his ankle was so badly injured that he could manage little more than a hobble. After a while, he had to sit down. Then he began hobbling along some more.