It Cannot Get Any Worse

Officer Chapman

Cjersti Chapman arrived at the house with her lights and siren on. There was a red Corvette in the driveway and about a dozen cars parked all over the place. Cjersti recognized the plate on the Vette. How could she not? “Dr Bro” If Doctor Brosnan’s car was abandoned half way up the driveway, this could be real. Cjersti looked up and saw a grey Cadillac had pulled up to the corner about 400 feet away. Six guys got out spoke for a few seconds and then split up into the woods in different directions. Three of them slipped into the woods along the river across the road. The rest headed down the street perpendicular to Riverfront road. The Caddy drove off.

Cjersti knew this was trouble. She considered going after the Cadillac and decided to let it go. The three must have seen her arrive and they were headed right for her. She grabbed the shotgun from the rack in the car. On a whim, she leaned the seat forward in her car, and closed and locked the door leaving the car running. With the seat leaning forward, the headrest of the seat might look like a person’s head if you did not look too closely. Cjersti ducked behind the car and slipped into the woods at the edge of the driveway. She tripped over some kind of giant arrow. “What on earth is that?” she thought.