It Cannot Get Any Worse

Shoot Out

Gerry stood in the middle of second floor of the carriage house watching back through a large window. Maybe this was a bad choice. No one would go all the way around to the back to get to the house. He was considering moving elsewhere to find a better view of the front or side. Suddenly he heard gunfire at the front of the house. The cop was there. Did he need back up? No one had even spoken with him. Gerry turned to the front and looked. He saw the cop standing behind a guy at the car holding a shotgun to the guy's head. “Nice job . . . lady?” Gerry did not know Grosse Ile had any female patrol officers. He should probably go help her.

He picked up his .22 and turned toward the stairs. As he turned he glanced out the back window again. He saw movement in the back. He stopped and put his eye to the scope. Clear as day, two guys with handguns were running toward the house at full sprint. Gerry squeezed off three rounds at the first guy and swung the scope searching for the other. The guy was good. There was no way he could have heard the snick snick snick of the silenced .22 but he saw his buddy go down and dropped.

The first guy was laying in plain sight, he was rolling around and screaming. Gerry searched for the second guy as he heard what sounded like a horn, then a pop, a scream and then another pop coming from the house. Then another pop pop pop pop pop pop from the back yard as the missing dude opened up in the general direction of the carriage house. He had not seen Gerry, but he had figured out where he must be.

Gerry fired two rounds towards the muzzle flash and dropped to the floor and pulled out his .45 No point in trying to keep his location a secret now. Three more shots in rapid succession came from the woods in the back. A bullet come through the wall and hit the light fixture on the ceiling. Jerry thought, “nine” he must be out. The fool emptied his gun. Gerry leapt to the window peering out to where he last saw the muzzle flash. He saw movement. A guy was running as fast as he could back into the woods. Jerry switched to the .22 and watched him with the scope. He was too far away to hit with such a small gun to any effect, but Gerry kept an eye on him as long as possible. The guy showed no sign of coming back.

Gerry heard screaming from the side and a splashing sound - the pool? He turned and ran down the stairs.